GTS81
4 Ruthenium

Re: Aurora R8, EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming, Noctua nf-a12x15-pwm-chromax-black-swap

Jump to solution

@markburv :

Well that escalated quickly. Last I typed here, you were trying to make a small change to your R8. Now we're talking Cosmos?? 🤣

For Z390 motherboard, any of the higher end Asus/ MSI/ Gigabyte would serve you well. I bought an MSI MEG ACE Z390 this time last year at a great price and it has lasted me to this very day.

I didn't read upthread but seems like you're going to be using an RTX 3080 XC3?

Looking forward to seeing your build thread. Maybe here, or maybe elsewhere like Reddit/ imgur/ builds.gg. Have fun!

Dell630i
5 Rhenium

Re: Aurora R8, EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming, Noctua nf-a12x15-pwm-chromax-black-swap

Jump to solution

@GTS81    @markburv 

For Z390 motherboard, any of the higher end Asus/ MSI/ Gigabyte would serve you well. I bought an MSI MEG ACE Z390 this time last year at a great price and it has lasted me to this very day.

If you decide to go with X299 mobo & LGA2066 socket . . . I have your CPU    😂

0 Kudos
Dell630i
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

@markburv   New Case odered, last one in stock.

You will have a lot of fun building in that case.

Here is what she looks like with her cloths off

IMG_4863.JPG

. . . and partially dressed mock-up

IMG_5531.JPG

. . . and waiting for parts  😱

IMG_5552.JPG

GTS81
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
markburv
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

@Dell630i Nice pics, looks like some chemistry experience mocked up 🤣

@GTS81 Yeah maybe rushing I have some updated results to share on current temps before repasting #2 and trying to pull/push.

markburv_0-1611168143832.png

If the pull/push brings down the CPU Temps respectably (sub 75°) on the Low Gaming Profile, with maybe some profile tweaks to take advantage of the quieter fans, I can maybe consider a plan C, longer term project, for the new case.

0 Kudos
Dell630i
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

@GTS81     Get it quick! 

$340 . . . expected to ship in early March . . . and I would need 2 of them  🤔

I can't keep track. I thought we were hating on EK this week. There are a lot of complaints over at the other forum about waiting 2 months to get a $300 water block that has scratches in the acrylic . . . on the inside of the block   😂

0 Kudos
GTS81
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution

@Dell630i :

I can't keep track. I thought we were hating on EK this week. There are a lot of complaints over at the other forum about waiting 2 months to get a $300 water block that has scratches in the acrylic . . . on the inside of the block 😂

Now EK is coming back to say that scratches are on the outside of the block. 🤔

Anyways, me hating EK?

IMG_0915.jpg

markburv
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

Going to start trying the sandwich

Modding the R8 AOI to sandwich - Parts neededModding the R8 AOI to sandwich - Parts needed

0 Kudos
markburv
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

Managed to do the sandwich, just wanted to give some immediate feedback.

Easy to unclip the mount from the pump head, rotate 15°, it ungrips and seperates. Reposition and reclip by rotating 15° in the opposite direction to fix to the pump head.

My first paste was not perfect, not far.

So now the 👽 is rotated 30° anti-clockwise to it's original position, time to paste and fiw the pump head to the MB. This is where the difficulty is regarding cross-threading the screws, there is quite a bit of pressure as the head does not want to be aligned to the MB holes due to the hoses being bent, especially the short right one that was originally straight and now in a S shape.

You have to with one hand counter-force the bent hoses, maintain the pump aligned with the MB holes while  screwing it down and keep it steady to avoid smearing the fresh paste.

Now obviously to avoid cross-threading the screws when removing the cooler assembly, you have to counter-force the bent hoses and maintain the pump in position until all are unscrewed.

I shall do testing later, thanks @Dell630i for the idea, @GTS81 for the explanations that made much more sense when everything was easy until wanting to remount the head to the MB.

I repasted with a tad extra, so hopefully some better thermals to come.

Noise wise, fans at max, around 67dba close up, 50dba at my level with the R8 on the ground (according to my iphone). If I had the OEM fan at 55% speed, it was a lot lot more.

Photos will follow soon.

0 Kudos
GTS81
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution

@markburv :

I repasted with a tad extra, so hopefully some better thermals to come.

NOOOO!!! Too much paste kills thermals. Well, if it's like peanut butter sandwich thick. 😂

0 Kudos