Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

2.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2019 09:00

Aurora R8, Experience of Buying

My Alienware Aurora R8 experience

It has been 95 days since I hit the "order" button and at this point, I am glad to say that I am happy with my purchase of the R8. My decision to buy an Alienware desktop started a month before that when I bought another Dell system, an Optiplex 27" AIO with i7 8700 and GTX 1050. At that time, my plan was to use the PC mainly as a surfing/ email machine with some additional juice to run games like Forza Horizon 4. Long story short, that plan fell apart and I decided I needed something that I can have a little bit more control over. Enter the desktop PC.
I've been over to several BYO websites like wepc and pcgamer to look at building my own rig but like many of us here observed, Dell's solution are usually cheaper... provided you're willing to live with what it means to deal with the many colorful issues we see in this forum.

Configured my system as below (trimmed to show the main parts):
1 210-ARGS Alienware Aurora R8
1 801-1540 Onsite/In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis, 1 Year
1 490-BEUO AMD Radeon RX 560X with 4GB GDDR5
1 321-BDXH 850W EPA Bronze PSU Liquid Cooled Chassis
1 801-1493 Dell Limited Hardware Warranty Initial Year
1 570-AACN Alienware Mouse Is Not Included
1 580-ABUI Keyboard Not Included
1 555-BDBY 802.11ac 1x1 WiFi and Bluetooth
1 400-AMXY 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s (64MB Cache)
1 370-ADUC 8GB, DDR4 2666MHz
1 619-AHCQ Windows 10 Home (64bit) English
1 338-BSDW 9th Gen Intel Core i5-9400 (6-Core/6-Thread 9M Cache,4.1GHz Processor with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)

The order was placed about a week before a US holiday so I was wary of a price drop. However, there was a good 15% discount and that takes a big chunk out of the 850W PSU + liquid cooling upgrade. Total damage is $875 + $76 in tax. I also have DFS account with 12 month interest-free payment and 6% reward.

Like many of you AW owners, waiting for the PC to arrive was a practice of patience. Initially the system showed that it will take ~10 days for it to arrive. I reached out to order support via chat and the rep was very helpful in explaining that other than ready-to-ship AW (like the tons of outlet R7s), most AW systems are built after order received. He did mention he will put a note that we chatted about my wait time concern. I didn't expect that to change anything until 2 days later, I was notified the system was shipped! And 2 days after that, a huge brown box with an alien head sat on my front porch. Without any signature required. Thanks UPS!

Unboxing the system brought me back to my first Dell which was a 17" laptop bought as a college graduation gift in 2003. As I plugged the cables and powered on the system, everything was flawless. Including Cortana's 90dB "HELLO". Ran Heaven benchmark just to get some numbers on the RX560 before shutting down the system and adding/ replacing the following:

WD Blue 1 TB HDD --> Crucial P1 500GB SSD [$61]
RX560X --> MSI RX580 Armor OC 8GB [$160 after $20 rebate]

Reinstalled Win10 with the image from Dell's recovery tool on the SSD. Everything worked great after that until the day I decided to upgrade my RAM...

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2020 10:00

@GTS81    But I have just ordered the 4+4 from MC last night.

Since your mobo has 8-pin power connector(s), is there any particular reason you opted for 4+4?

Update: My extra fan/radiator trays just arrived from Cooler Master. I still have not gotten an email response from Corsair regarding their out-of-stock EPS 8-pin PSU cable. Fortunately, this Community has already resolved that issue

2.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2020 10:00

@Anonymous :

Since your mobo has 8-pin power connector(s), is there any particular reason you opted for 4+4?

No particular reason. I shouldn't be ordering stuff when sleep deprived past midnight. I was ready to turn in to bed when David from MC responded to my request for more aluminum combs so I headed over to my cart and mindlessly dumped more items in there and said goodbye to my .

I also shouldn't be shopping while stuck in morning traffic. Now I have a 360mm slim radiator headed my way tomorrow. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2020 14:00

@GTS81    . . . there are some bad dreams too.

For the experts with a lot of experience, that may not be a problem, but for me, a wire emanating from every fitting would be a nightmare. I had enough trouble with those 4 temp sensors.

I have been looking for some water cooling design inspiration . . .

image.png

2.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2020 14:00

@Anonymous :

Along with dreams as in Dream Build, there are some bad dreams too. I cannot unsee this so I want to share it with you.

https://www.ttpremium.com/product/pacific-rgb-plus-tt-premium-edition-g1-4-petg-tube-16mm-od-12mm-id-fitting-6-pack-fittings/

http://www.lian-li.com/strimer-8pin/

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2020 15:00

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

January 23rd, 2020 15:00

GRFX.PCI-E 8pin won't work. Type3 CPU will work (but I think Corsair charges $10 shipping), Type3 have no in-line capacitors like Type4 does. Try google amazon or I see some for $7 on eBay/US as best bet corsair 8pin

Typically when dual-8pin CPU headers are there (like my MSI), the mthrbrd will boot with just one 8pin installed, maybe yours will with two (or even one) installed til u figure it out. But yes, the CPU & GRFX 8pins can plug into any 8pin port u want or need it to

2.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2020 17:00

@Anonymous :

Chipmaker Intel Smashes Fourth-Quarter Targets, Guides Higher 

Now I'm kicking myself for dumping all my RSU and ESPP at $55. Luckily I told my wife not to sell hers.

I have been looking for some water cooling design inspiration . . .

It looks crazy but it has that chiller I've always wanted. I mean I don't want to deal with all the dangers of LN but having constant cool air stream through the radiator during summer sure is nice.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

January 23rd, 2020 18:00

At this rate, we may see this unveiled before you get that 10980xe:

https://www.gizchina.com/2020/01/19/nvidia-rtx-3080-rtx-3070-specifications-leaked-for-the-first-time/

@Anonymous

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

@Cass-Ole   Type3 have no in-line capacitors like Type4 does.

I have the AXi series 1600i, and the CPU power cables that came with the PSU have "Type 4" printed on the PSU side connector. The only difference I can see in the 4+4 and the 6+2 ends on the cable is that the 4+4 have 2 retaining clips, while the 6+2 only has one (for obvious reasons)

@GTS81 

You are correct. Both 4+4 EPS and 8-pin EPS are the same. Generally you'd want something like this want looking at the connector from the front:

x++x

+xx+

where x = square, + = notch.

OK, now that I pulled out a magnifying instrument, I can see a difference. The 'Type 4' PSU end of both cables looks like the pattern above. Using the same nomenclature, the CPU end of the 4+4 cable looks like this;

+x++

x+++

. . . and the PCIe side of the 6+2 cable looks like this;

++xx

x+++

. . . clip 'up' in both diagrams.

2.2K Posts

@r72019 :

I wonder if it’s related to the slew of emergency vehicles outside their Santa Clara HQ an hour ago.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

January 23rd, 2020 19:00

I don't know about that.  I've been traveling most of the day and the highlight was walking in circles trying to find internet reception for my mobile hotspot at the rental car lot so I could book a car online because the counter agent would only take advance reservations.

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

January 23rd, 2020 19:00

1600 fp.jpg

post has edit at bottom

Above, the 8pin PSU ports are all 'keyed' in the same fashion as CPU/EPS 8pin, or what I call:

U-Sq-Sq-U

Sq-U-U-Sq

VGA/GRFX/PCI-E have (lol)

U-U-Sq-U

Sq-U-U-U

At the PSU end of cable, the GRFX/VGA/PCI-E will have that (CPU 8pin) key so it can plug in anywhere, but at the device end it has the different 6+2 style. That 6+2 style is a different key pattern invented so someone can't plug their CPU 8pin into their GRFX card and burn it up … or try to plug a VGA cable into their CPU 8pin mthrbrd header

Below, left, two variants of CPU/EPS 8pin (4+4 & solid 8), right are two variants of VGA (solid 8 & 6+2). The VGA 8pin has a 'fused' pair (while the 2pin has a 'bridge'), to prevent it from plugging into a CPU header …while CPU 8pins are keyed so as to not plug into video card, make sense?

Just buy the Type4 eBay for $7, not worth it to mod a GRFX cable. Triple 8pin CPU headers has to be for DICE/LN2 overclocking, I bet yours works off of two, I mean the 8pin is rated at like 384watts, so x 2 = 770watts ... if u go over 700watts to CPU then yes u need that 3rd header getting powa (=

8p CPU color.JPG

I have 1600i here too, running off a BitFenix Alchemy 2.0 pre-made sleeve kit, w/a few mods to the set so AlienF/X daughterboard can work

Ax9.JPG

In all honesty, Corsair is using semantics to differentiate Type3 cables from 4:

edit: ALL Type3 interchange with Type4, except for the 24pins are different (Type3 = 10/14, Type4 = 10/18 at PSU end). If there's another difference it's that newer Type4 uses caps in the CPU/VGA cables, older Type3 don't. If u hate caps (& the larger heatshrink), switch to Type3 (= Explanation of RMi's New Type 4 Cables

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 24th, 2020 14:00

@Cass-Ole    … or try to plug a VGA cable into their CPU 8pin mthrbrd header

Now who would be so foolish as to consider something like that     

Thank you so much for the clear and detailed explanation, as usual. Very much appreciated.

Good to know I can power up with just 2 CPU cables. This project is in the very beginning stages, so I am definitely not ready to order a 'final' cable set. I may get a cheap 'temp' set of individually sleeved cables for working the project, as the OEM cables that come with the PSU are stiff and horrible. They definitely want you to have to order their "premium" cable set.

Thanks again for the information.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 24th, 2020 17:00

@GTS81 @r72019 @Cass-Ole @HanoverB 

Wishing all a very Happy Lunar New Year! 

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

January 24th, 2020 21:00

@Anonymous wrote:

Wishing all a very Happy Lunar New Year! 

You too!  I almost missed the  LOL

No Events found!