Highlighted
r72019
3 Cadmium

Re: Aurora R8, Experience of Buying

@GTS81 wrote:

Asked a colleague what would have happened if we didn't do the right-hand turn to move to the P6/ Core microarchitecture and chose to stay with P4. He said that the CPU would be 10GHz, double the pipestage, and burn a ton of power.

Yeah, I don't know why they chose to release 22 cores at 14nm, should have just waited for the next (10nm) architecture so they didn't have to burn so much power.  I guess Intel chose to make do with what they had in order to 1 up the 3950X, which seems to be competitive with the 10980xe.  It's just that in terms of TDP, AMD has blown Intel out of the water because AMD is at 7nm...

Highlighted
Dell630i
4 Tellurium

@GTS81    And the rumor mill spins.

I'm satisfied with 18 cores . . . for now 🤔

Highlighted
GTS81
4 Tellurium

@Dell630i :

Spoke with Titan Rig rep this morning to ask if they will have the 360mm FLT reservoir brought in from EK Europe and the answer was "not in the short term".

ItemSkuQtySubtotal
EK-Quantum Volume FLT 360 D-RGB - Plexi38311098197461$134.99
Subtotal  $134.99
Shipping  $21.97
Discount (Comeback5)  -$6.75
Grand Total  $150.21
Grand Total to be Charged  €115.55

😱 😱

Highlighted
Dell630i
4 Tellurium

@GTS81 

radiator fans??

Noctua NF-P12 redux-900, 3-Pin, Ultra Quiet Fan 

. . . any thoughts?

Highlighted
r72019
3 Cadmium

@Dell630i wrote:

. . . any thoughts?

With the redux brand, the corner vibration pieces, cables, y splitter, etc. are not included, just fyi. 

Highlighted
GTS81
4 Tellurium

@Dell630i :

@Dell630i wrote:

. . . any thoughts?

With the redux brand, the corner vibration pieces, cables, y splitter, etc. are not included, just fyi. 

For once you're free of Dell's shackles on fan type and size, yet Noctua is chosen? 🤔 Well, there's no denying that they make really good and silent fans so from a functional perspective, getting a quiet and high static pressure fan makes sense.

However, you can make your rig look much nicer with the fans from InWin (Polaris), Thermaltake, or even Corsair (LL120 RGB). Also, if you go for lower FPI radiators (read thicker), the static pressure requirement goes down, no?

One more thing to consider is you have to distinguish static pressure and airflow fans in your mega rig. Use specific static pressure fans to overcome radiator fins, but you need airflow fans to move the air deep enough into your case for the exhaust fans to "catch" the warm air and send it out. Else you risk having pocket of warm air lingering near your reservoir(s).

@r72019 :

I guess my plan to retrofit my R8 guts into the new R6 case is a no-go. I was going over the case once more before transplanting parts and saw that big "R6" print on the back IO panel. Looks very well glued to the chassis and I think any attempt to mess with that wouldn't end well.

So the decision was made for me. Either keep it, risk the hostile stare from my wife for having 2 PCs. Or sell individual parts. So many drive cages now I may as well start an auction account called AuroraParts or something. 🙄

Highlighted
r72019
3 Cadmium

You can remove the bottom part entirely and swap it (or let AuroraParts sell it)

Screenshot_20200115-052907_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20200115-052916_Drive.jpg

Highlighted
r72019
3 Cadmium

(I can't recall if you dremeled an air vent in it.)

Highlighted
GTS81
4 Tellurium

@r72019 :

Still waiting for your pics to be mod approved.

I dremeled 2 parts of my R8 chassis: the lower front to get the big gaping hole and the inside of the front bezel.

Too exhausted to hide my R6 chassis in the storeroom last night so I left it next to my R8. So far, still no message on "why do you have 2 Auroras?". Silent Base is very silent in the storeroom. 🤐

Highlighted
Dell630i
4 Tellurium

@GTS81    However, you can make your rig look much nicer with the fans from . . . .

At this point I still do not have the case in front of me, but all indications from photos and videos are that I will not be able to do push/pull fans with a 45mm thick radiator. If I cannot do the push/pull configuration, then I would have all radiator fans setup as 'intake'; pushing fresh outside air through the radiators and into the case. There will be one or two exhaust fans at the rear of the case.

So if this turns out to be the setup, the radiator fans would not be visible, leaving the ugly, but quiet Noctua fans as an option. If I can do 3 radiators (2*360 & 1*240) that would be 8 fans, so I want them as quiet as possible.

If it turns out that I can do the push/pull configuration . . . the fan search starts over from the beginning.