Re: Aurora R8, Experience of Buying

@r72019   @GTS81 

Chipmaker Intel Smashes Fourth-Quarter Targets, Guides Higher 

🀣  🀣  🀣    where is my i9-10980XE πŸ€”

Highlighted
Cass-Ole
4 Germanium

GRFX.PCI-E 8pin won't work. Type3 CPU will work (but I think Corsair charges $10 shipping), Type3 have no in-line capacitors like Type4 does. Try google amazon or I see some for $7 on eBay/US as best bet corsair 8pin

Typically when dual-8pin CPU headers are there (like my MSI), the mthrbrd will boot with just one 8pin installed, maybe yours will with two (or even one) installed til u figure it out. But yes, the CPU & GRFX 8pins can plug into any 8pin port u want or need it to

Highlighted
GTS81
4 Tellurium

@Dell630i :

Chipmaker Intel Smashes Fourth-Quarter Targets, Guides Higher 

😭😭😭 Now I'm kicking myself for dumping all my RSU and ESPP at $55. Luckily I told my wife not to sell hers.

I have been looking for some water cooling design inspiration . . .

It looks crazy but it has that chiller I've always wanted. I mean I don't want to deal with all the dangers of LN but having constant cool air stream through the radiator during summer sure is nice.

Highlighted
Dell630i
4 Tellurium

@Cass-Ole   Type3 have no in-line capacitors like Type4 does.

I have the AXi series 1600i, and the CPU power cables that came with the PSU have "Type 4" printed on the PSU side connector. The only difference I can see in the 4+4 and the 6+2 ends on the cable is that the 4+4 have 2 retaining clips, while the 6+2 only has one (for obvious reasons)

@GTS81 

You are correct. Both 4+4 EPS and 8-pin EPS are the same. Generally you'd want something like this want looking at the connector from the front:

x++x

+xx+

where x = square, + = notch.

OK, now that I pulled out a magnifying instrument, I can see a difference. The 'Type 4' PSU end of both cables looks like the pattern above. Using the same nomenclature, the CPU end of the 4+4 cable looks like this;

+x++

x+++

. . . and the PCIe side of the 6+2 cable looks like this;

++xx

x+++

. . . clip 'up' in both diagrams.

Highlighted
r72019
3 Cadmium

Highlighted
GTS81
4 Tellurium

@r72019 :

I wonder if it’s related to the slew of emergency vehicles outside their Santa Clara HQ an hour ago.

Highlighted
r72019
3 Cadmium

I don't know about that.  I've been traveling most of the day and the highlight was walking in circles trying to find internet reception for my mobile hotspot at the rental car lot so I could book a car online because the counter agent would only take advance reservations.

Highlighted
Cass-Ole
4 Germanium

1600 fp.jpg

post has edit at bottom

Above, the 8pin PSU ports are all 'keyed' in the same fashion as CPU/EPS 8pin, or what I call:

U-Sq-Sq-U

Sq-U-U-Sq

VGA/GRFX/PCI-E have (lol)

U-U-Sq-U

Sq-U-U-U

At the PSU end of cable, the GRFX/VGA/PCI-E will have that (CPU 8pin) key so it can plug in anywhere, but at the device end it has the different 6+2 style. That 6+2 style is a different key pattern invented so someone can't plug their CPU 8pin into their GRFX card and burn it up … or try to plug a VGA cable into their CPU 8pin mthrbrd header

Below, left, two variants of CPU/EPS 8pin (4+4 & solid 8), right are two variants of VGA (solid 8 & 6+2). The VGA 8pin has a 'fused' pair (while the 2pin has a 'bridge'), to prevent it from plugging into a CPU header …while CPU 8pins are keyed so as to not plug into video card, make sense?

Just buy the Type4 eBay for $7, not worth it to mod a GRFX cable. Triple 8pin CPU headers has to be for DICE/LN2 overclocking, I bet yours works off of two, I mean the 8pin is rated at like 384watts, so x 2 = 770watts ... if u go over 700watts to CPU then yes u need that 3rd header getting powa (=

8p CPU color.JPG

I have 1600i here too, running off a BitFenix Alchemy 2.0 pre-made sleeve kit, w/a few mods to the set so AlienF/X daughterboard can work

Ax9.JPG

In all honesty, Corsair is using semantics to differentiate Type3 cables from 4:

edit: ALL Type3 interchange with Type4, except for the 24pins are different (Type3 = 10/14, Type4 = 10/18 at PSU end). If there's another difference it's that newer Type4 uses caps in the CPU/VGA cables, older Type3 don't. If u hate caps (& the larger heatshrink), switch to Type3 (= Explanation of RMi's New Type 4 Cables

Highlighted
Dell630i
4 Tellurium

@Cass-Ole    … or try to plug a VGA cable into their CPU 8pin mthrbrd header

Now who would be so foolish as to consider something like that  πŸ˜‚  πŸ˜‚  πŸ˜‚

Thank you so much for the clear and detailed explanation, as usual. Very much appreciated.

Good to know I can power up with just 2 CPU cables. This project is in the very beginning stages, so I am definitely not ready to order a 'final' cable set. I may get a cheap 'temp' set of individually sleeved cables for working the project, as the OEM cables that come with the PSU are stiff and horrible. They definitely want you to have to order their "premium" cable set.

Thanks again for the information.

Highlighted
Dell630i
4 Tellurium

@GTS81 @r72019 @Cass-Ole @HanoverB 

Wishing all a very Happy Lunar New Year!  πŸ€