Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 1st, 2020 19:00

Aurora R8, Founders Edition 3080, without overheating?

I'm sure that the card will work in the system. I'm just curious what the cooling issues would be if any.
Aurora R8
-i9-9900k with liquid cooler.
-850W PSU
Also, will the card fit?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 1st, 2020 21:00

@VoIDxXxX    Also, will the card fit?

The RTX 3080 is 285mm long . . . so it would not fit without some modifications. Also, there appears to be a fan configuration that is not compatible with the PSU swing-out contraption. The RTX 3070 may be an option, depending on the fan configuration when it is actually released. At 220 watts, I don't think heat would be any more of an issue than usual for the Aurora line.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

@VoIDxXxX    But, if the 3070 had the fan configuration seen on Nvidia’s site do you think that it would cause a problem in the system?

I have seen a couple different fan configurations in the promo photos. If the fans are configured such that they are both facing downward, like the photo below, I think that would work.

image.png

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 1st, 2020 19:00

I think not.

9 Posts

Yeah. I was thinking of having the 3070 instead because of size. But, if the 3070 had the fan configuration seen on Nvidia’s site do you think that it would cause a problem in the system?

9 Posts

September 1st, 2020 22:00

Would it really be fine to have it blowing on my ssd’s though. Couldn’t that cause problems?

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

@VoIDxXxX Keep in mind Nvidia's partners, MSI, ASUS, PNY, ZOTAC, etc will all be releasing their own versions of the 3000 series gpu's in short order and you shouldn't have a problem finding a 3080 blower model that fits just fine in the R8. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

@VoIDxXxX    Would it really be fine to have it blowing on my ssd’s though. Couldn’t that cause problems?

That is the "normal" configuration for a twin fan graphics card. Your front intake fan will blow the heat away.

image.png

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

September 2nd, 2020 05:00

From asus for example, and I'd expect something similar for Gigabyte's Turbo lineup, and PNY and zotac's blower lineup, and MSI's Aero lineup in the near future.

"We have even more GeForce RTX 30-series graphics cards in the works, including a handy Turbo design that exhausts hot air directly from cases. It’s perfect for small-form-factor builds or enclosures that can use a helping hand in keeping system temperatures in check. Stay tuned."

https://rog.asus.com/articles/gaming-graphics-cards/introducing-geforce-rtx-3070-rtx-3080-rtx-3090-rog-asus/

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 2nd, 2020 07:00

@r72019    you shouldn't have a problem finding a 3080 blower model that fits just fine in the R8. 

It will be interesting to see a 320 watt blower style graphics card. From the ASUS link you posted they have fattened up the fan models to 2.9 slots.

1 Message

September 6th, 2020 20:00

so if someone really liked there aurora r8, and wanted to try out the 3080 soon as there launched, they could get pcie raisers to run outside the case , get psu extenders to run outside the case and have the gpu on a stand ... sooo basically using ur gpu outside ur pc ?

568 Posts

December 1st, 2020 14:00

Hi all,

First off thanks for everyone making good discussions on RTX 30XX upgrades in R8.

I have been looking and looking at all the cards without realising I could do fan mods to fit a bigger card, so my project of moving up to a 3080 has started, I have ordered:

• EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA GAMING
  • NOCTUA NF A12x15 PWM chromax.black.swap

The reason I decided on this card is it's what seems to be perfect measurements to repace my GTX 1060, that is 285mmx111mm and a 2slot. The card will fit with the front fan replaced (28mm with case narrowed to Noctua 15mm) as does the other EVGA 3080 Black or XC3 without Ultra.

The max length to fit in the case should be around 294mm with the fan inside the case and 309mm with the fan in the front bezel.

I chose this black fan to move away from the ugly muddy colored fan as it has exactly the same specs, only difference is that this doesn't come with any Y PWM cables. There was a small risk as I found no reference on forums about the black.chrome.swap and found plenty on the brown one. I see this as an important esthetic detail that would be of interest to many R8 and maybe other versions with the same case. 

So I have to test the complete replacement of the front fan, if it doesn't work, doesn't matter, I just have to order a Y cable and retain and move the stock fan elsewhere in the case. The stock fan is 4300RPM and the Noctua 15mm is 1850RPM, of course if I find that I have thermal problems, then I will also retain and move the stock fan.

The fan arrived today. Good news I tested it tonight and it worked! No boot problems, no bios problems, fan spins at same percentage as the stock fan under different loads as expected.

The project has started with my first hurdle over.

Waiting on the Card now

568 Posts

December 30th, 2020 09:00

My project has finished and can be found here :

Aurora R8 + EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming + Noctua nf-a12x15-pwm-chromax-black-swap 

Thanks again all for the great discussions

No Events found!