Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

3 Posts

December 16th, 2018 10:00

Aurora R8, Nvidia Control Panel

Anyone know why there doesn't seem to be a Nvidia control panel on an Aurora R8?  I just received this computer (has the 2080i graphics card).  The control panel shows up in the tray, but does nothing when selected.  Also, the 3D photo viewer (under Nvidia corporation) starts searching for the program.  Thanks.  SJ 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 16th, 2018 11:00

Sounds like maybe like the Aurora-R8's factory image contains some bad Nvidia drivers or glitched install.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Nvidia-RTX-2080-Driver-Updates/m-p/6234849#M7459

I suggest you uninstall them, reboot, and clean-install WHQL drivers from nvidia.com .

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/How-to-install-latest-Nvidia-drivers-for-1080ti-for-BFV/m-p/6224755#M6999

3 Posts

December 18th, 2018 06:00

Which drivers should be uninstalled before doing the clean-install?  Thanks. 

2933685C-0EA2-4DF5-AEB1-C25250DECD8C.png

3 Posts

December 19th, 2018 07:00

I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers, restarted the computer and then downloaded the latest drivers.  The Nvidia install program would not allow me to install the new drivers and required me to download the GEForce experience.  I did this and all works fine.  Why doesn’t Dell include this on a factory image or will this mess up something else like their own Alienware installation software?   

16 Posts

December 24th, 2018 08:00

No help but my new R8 has the same issue (RTX2080OC).  NV Control Panel in system tray does nothing.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 24th, 2018 22:00

@SJAlien wrote:

1. Which drivers should be uninstalled

2. before doing the clean-install? (Re-Install which parts ?) Thanks. 

1. ALL

2. All except the two 3D-Vision parts.

16 Posts

January 5th, 2019 08:00

Solution for my R8 with RTX2080 Card was to reinstall the Nvidia Control Panel app from the Microsoft Store.

402 Posts

February 25th, 2019 11:00

@SJAlien wrote:

I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers, restarted the computer and then downloaded the latest drivers.  The Nvidia install program would not allow me to install the new drivers and required me to download the GEForce experience.  I did this and all works fine.  Why doesn’t Dell include this on a factory image or will this mess up something else like their own Alienware installation software?   

You can install the standard Nvidia package drivers in safe mode. That's what I did last night. Note however that the telemetry package will fail but all the other drivers will install just fine. Using the GeForce experience driver somehow doesn't install the control panel. 

1 Message

February 25th, 2019 11:00

Return it if possible. I spent 5 hours on the phone and logged in with tech support and they couldn’t solve that problem. Installed a new drive image (OS) twice, drivers multiple times, NVidia control panel download...nothing worked. I was told to wait to see if Microsoft or NVidia release an update sometime on the future. No thanks. $2000 computer goes back to Dell. You can’t set your video card properly without that control panel.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 25th, 2019 12:00

Using the GeForce experience driver somehow doesn't install the control panel. 

Too bad it has to be so lame, but I haven't used it in years.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/My-Aurora-R6-The-Adventure-Continues/m-p/6224677/highlight/true#M6990

Most (but not all) of the Nvidia drivers releases themselves are fine (if you can just get them installed properly).  :Indifferent:

35 Posts

February 26th, 2019 21:00

how do you find this app in the store? I did a search for nvidia and nothing shows up in the microsoft app store

35 Posts

February 27th, 2019 21:00

Hey everyone, I hope you are having a good week.

So I recently got a R8, and there is no Nvidia Control panel

After trying to uninstall and reinstall all the drivers a bunch of times, a long with Geforce Experience. I have had no luck.

I actually called Nvidia directly today, and they told me they are aware of this issue, and it just isn't specifically a Dell issue (Which I thought it was)

They told me the control panel has disappeared for people without Dell computers after installing a recent update, it's not just a problem that new computers have.

He said "soon" in a Nvidia driver update, it will fix this issue and install the control panel again.

Does it sound like he is being truthful?  Is this problem something that can be fixed the way he described? Or do you think something is just going on with some of the new R8's?

Thanks in advance for your time and help

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 27th, 2019 23:00

@Jamemamone wrote:

1. So I recently got a (Aurora) R8, and there is no Nvidia Control panel

2. Does it sound like he is being truthful?  

1. What Nvidia card is installed?

2. Who knows.

You could try installing this driver (this way). I know it has a Nvidia Control Panel on Windows v1803 (yes, I keep my machines on the slow/business ring) .

If you have a newer RTX card, try a clean-install of proper driver, but from a month-or-so ago. Do it this way also.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/My-Aurora-R6-The-Adventure-Continues/m-p/6224677/highlight/true#M6990

402 Posts

February 28th, 2019 03:00

@Jamemamone wrote:

Hey everyone, I hope you are having a good week.

So I recently got a R8, and there is no Nvidia Control panel

After trying to uninstall and reinstall all the drivers a bunch of times, a long with Geforce Experience. I have had no luck.

I actually called Nvidia directly today, and they told me they are aware of this issue, and it just isn't specifically a Dell issue (Which I thought it was)

They told me the control panel has disappeared for people without Dell computers after installing a recent update, it's not just a problem that new computers have.

He said "soon" in a Nvidia driver update, it will fix this issue and install the control panel again.

Does it sound like he is being truthful?  Is this problem something that can be fixed the way he described? Or do you think something is just going on with some of the new R8's?

Thanks in advance for your time and help

Download DDU (graphics card driver uninstaller).  Boot into safe mode and run it.

Don't select clean and reboot.  Instead, select clean and stay logged into Windows (safe mode).

Install the latest Nvidia drivers directly from Nvidia.  It will install all drivers but will end in an error saying telemetry module not installed (failed).  Don't worry about that; you don't need it anyway.  The telemetry module only saves information which is sent to Nvidia as part of their ongoing QC program.

Reboot into normal Windows mode.  You should now have the latest drivers installed with a functional control panel.

35 Posts

February 28th, 2019 07:00

Hey Tesla and Amstel,

Thanks for the replys, I really appreciate it.

For my graphics card, I chose the 2080 Ti

I had the chance to try what you suggested earlier Tesla, I downloaded that older driver from that link and when I try to install it, I get the error message: "The standard nividaia graphics driver is not compatible with this version of windows."  And that actually happens with every driver I try to download that way, unless i pick "DCH" version, is there a way to download that driver you suggested but a DCH version? I looked but can't find it.

I am planning on trying what Amstel suggested today and I have one question about that please:

Where is the safest/best place to download DDU (graphics card driver uninstaller).?

Also, I'm having a new problem now! (No suprise I guess) Like I said, I have uninstalled and installed drivers a bunch of times, and this error didn't happen until recently, and I know it's not a concoindence:

But now, in the Ailenware command center...When I opened it my graphics card wasn't even there anymore. Then I retarted the computer and it was there! But none of my profiles are there under fusion anymore, and I get a error message saying "Can not load profiles, connect to the internet and try again/click download profiles" (I am already connected to the internet) And when I click "download profiles" the same message happens again.

Not only that, I am not able attempt to overclock/ to create a new profile either in "Fusion" section of the command center. with the cpu, graphics card or memory now....Any ideas? Do i need to uninstall and reinstall alien command center now? if so, are these the best instructions to do so?

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln303405/how-to-remove-and-reinstall-the-alienware-command-center?lang=en

Thanks again guys

35 Posts

February 28th, 2019 07:00

Also @ AMstel, to be clear
In safe mode run DDU (graphics card driver uninstaller) and uninstall all of the nvidida drivers? or just 1? if so, which ones?
also while still in safe mode go to nvidia website and download the latest driver?

Thank you

No Events found!