SJAlien
1 Copper

Aurora R8, Nvidia Control Panel

Anyone know why there doesn't seem to be a Nvidia control panel on an Aurora R8?  I just received this computer (has the 2080i graphics card).  The control panel shows up in the tray, but does nothing when selected.  Also, the 3D photo viewer (under Nvidia corporation) starts searching for the program.  Thanks.  SJ 

0 Kudos
26 Replies
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Re: Aurora R8 Nvidia Control Panel

Sounds like maybe like the Aurora-R8's factory image contains some bad Nvidia drivers or glitched install.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Nvidia-RTX-2080-Driver-Updates/m-p/6234849#M7459

I suggest you uninstall them, reboot, and clean-install WHQL drivers from nvidia.com .

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/How-to-install-latest-Nvidia-drivers-for-1080ti-fo...

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
SJAlien
1 Copper

Which drivers should be uninstalled before doing the clean-install?  Thanks. 

2933685C-0EA2-4DF5-AEB1-C25250DECD8C.png

0 Kudos
SJAlien
1 Copper

I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers, restarted the computer and then downloaded the latest drivers.  The Nvidia install program would not allow me to install the new drivers and required me to download the GEForce experience.  I did this and all works fine.  Why doesn’t Dell include this on a factory image or will this mess up something else like their own Alienware installation software?   

0 Kudos
Bofus_
1 Nickel

Re: Aurora-R8, Nvidia Control Panel

No help but my new R8 has the same issue (RTX2080OC).  NV Control Panel in system tray does nothing.

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

@SJAlien wrote:

1. Which drivers should be uninstalled

2. before doing the clean-install? (Re-Install which parts ?) Thanks. 

1. ALL

2. All except the two 3D-Vision parts.

- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
Bofus_
1 Nickel

Solution for my R8 with RTX2080 Card was to reinstall the Nvidia Control Panel app from the Microsoft Store.

0 Kudos
RobertN321
1 Copper

Return it if possible. I spent 5 hours on the phone and logged in with tech support and they couldn’t solve that problem. Installed a new drive image (OS) twice, drivers multiple times, NVidia control panel download...nothing worked. I was told to wait to see if Microsoft or NVidia release an update sometime on the future. No thanks. $2000 computer goes back to Dell. You can’t set your video card properly without that control panel.
0 Kudos
amstel78
2 Iron

@SJAlien wrote:

I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers, restarted the computer and then downloaded the latest drivers.  The Nvidia install program would not allow me to install the new drivers and required me to download the GEForce experience.  I did this and all works fine.  Why doesn’t Dell include this on a factory image or will this mess up something else like their own Alienware installation software?   

You can install the standard Nvidia package drivers in safe mode. That's what I did last night. Note however that the telemetry package will fail but all the other drivers will install just fine. Using the GeForce experience driver somehow doesn't install the control panel. 

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Using the GeForce experience driver somehow doesn't install the control panel. 

Too bad it has to be so lame, but I haven't used it in years.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/My-Aurora-R6-The-Adventure-Continues/m-p/6224677/h...

Most (but not all) of the Nvidia drivers releases themselves are fine (if you can just get them installed properly). 

0 Kudos