Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

15 Posts

May 17th, 2020 14:00

Aurora R8, case lights no longer work

The fan sounds on the R8 have driven me crazy during the pandemic so I replaced the top fan and front panel fan with ML 120 Pros.  It is much quieter (except for the GPU fan which I'll get to in another thread).  During this time I also updated the BIOS to latest and uninstalled and reinstalled AWCC to try to get better control over the fans.  

Somewhere along the way the case lights stopped working (both sides).  The only light that works is the Alienware face power button that flashes briefly on startup and then remains off.. 

Playing with AWCC doesn't seem to turn on the lights.  

I read that there used to be a light testing program included with AWCC but it no longer is included.  

I've checked the wiring that I had to replug in on the right side and they are all plugged in properly.  

Are there any other ways to diagnose the case lighting?  Why won't the front alien face at least remain on?  Also that alien face will flash if I run a startup diagnostic test that needs attention so it clearly works.  

17 Posts

May 19th, 2020 05:00

Following, mine just did the same thing this morning.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

May 19th, 2020 08:00

Do you know if support assist or windows auto updated anything that might have caused this?

15 Posts

May 19th, 2020 19:00

@r72019  I don't think there was an auto update that did this.  Like I said in the original post I was doing many things around the time that I noticed they stopped working.  I'm looking for a diagnostics program like the old alienware lightfx tester that doesn't seem to be released anymore.

2.2K Posts

May 19th, 2020 19:00

What does AlienFX in AWCC tell you? Is it showing the lights as on?

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

May 19th, 2020 21:00

If there was a problem with any of the wiring you'd expect a supportassist startup error notifying you of the issue.  

On the other hand, it may be an issue with the Alienwware AlienFX Controller, in which case you'd just enable AlienFX.  But you'd expect to see the lights before Windows loads at least so that's probably not the issue

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

@eastsider2 wrote:

I read that there used to be a light testing program included with AWCC but it no longer is included.  

The AlienFX light testing program is still included.  Navigate to c: program files > Alienware > Command Center > AlienwareAlienFXTester

Then double click on the app.  This is what it looks like (photo 1) and where to find it (photo 2)

Tester.png

AlienFX tester.png

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

Also, if the lights don't respond to the tester, perhaps it may help to do a CMOS reset?  (Disconnect from wall, remove CR2032 battery from mobo, drain flea power by pushing power button, then restart). 

15 Posts

May 20th, 2020 00:00

@r72019 Thanks for your replies.  The latest version of AWCC didn't install AlienFXTester. 

I installed this version:<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Also the folder structure has changed a bit and its installed to C:\Program Files\Alienware\Alienware Command Center

NoFxTester in latest AWCCNoFxTester in latest AWCC

AWCC FX says I have an active default theme.  

awccFX.png

I haven't tried the CMOS reset yet but may do so if I can't resolve it soon.

Thanks

2 Posts

January 27th, 2021 04:00

Did you get this resolved? 

My fans were loud so uninstall the software and then reinstalled. 

No lights ever since even after bois update and reinstalling widows on a fresh ssd  

No Events found!