Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

19 Posts

September 7th, 2019 20:00

Aurora R8, fans running full speed

So, I bought a Aurora r8 with i9900k, 64g ram, 2080ti oc... downloaded the free Counter strike game.. and my computer fan runs full speed.. also, looking at the task manager.. gpu is running almost 99% and cpu at 50%... Is something wrong with my computer? should I return it?

167 Posts

September 7th, 2019 22:00

If your CPU is not liquid cooled the loud fan your hearing is the CPU fan. And is normal  

I had same video+ CPU set up in my r8, until I returned it for r9. And I can say that my GPU usage on a couple games was around 95%. (Which is odd, since the card has 11g of dedicated memory) I didn’t think any games would utilize all of that.. Maybe with the exception of flight simulator or something. 

My CPU was going up to 50% as well. So your not alone. I noticed when I used the Alienware level 2 over clock, the temps go down on the CPU. And maybe even a little on the GPU.. 

I’d like an answer as well though, to the 95% GPU usage. 2080ti supposed to be the best card available. Would be that the game your playing isn’t optimized very well. 

402 Posts

September 8th, 2019 03:00

Something isn't right.  Sounds like system resources aren't being allocated correctly.  Could be due to software Dell installs that in my opinion aren't necessary.

My R7 running a clean install of Windows 10 (build 18362.10019) with a 1080 and 8700k peaks at 67-69% GPU utilization on Gears of War 5 at 4k ultra settings. CPU utilization peaks around 35%.

As for fan noise, my suggestion is finding a CPU curve you're happy with. Also, try installing something MSI Afterburner to control curves for the GPU. I'd also check to make sure you're using the latest NVIDIA drivers.

I'd also try another game. CS is pretty old; lot of newer games have better optimizations.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 8th, 2019 06:00

15 year old games are not compatible with windows 10 and do not have directx9 for starters.  They also do not have DOTNET 2.0 and 3.5

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

You download file to a folder then run it then run dxsetup.exe from the folder as administrator.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4054530/microsoft-net-framework-4-7-2-offline-installer-for-windows

missing featuresmissing features

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 8th, 2019 08:00

All good replies here so far. Adjust your fan curves, and you can also try MSI-AfterBurner for the Nvidia GPU .

Yes, I would try other games, but my guess is that ...

Counter-Strike Source, sold by Valve though it’s Steam platform should still run properly on recent gaming-machines even Windows-10 .

2.5K Posts

September 8th, 2019 09:00

you bought a very fast PC, for gaming,

so all PCs that are both fast and gamed and air cooled make noise. (when taxed) (your first one?)

the fastest CPU  and fastest GPU can be 200watts to 460 watts. (100 +365 watts is worst case non yours)

the heat must exit the PC or damage happens (blame Intel and nvidia, or AMD) there are no PCs yet with superconductors,. so must make heat to run fast. (pure physics here)! one of mine does 250+100= 350watts./

if you need to have silence?, consider buying a water cooled PC with almost silent fans. (theory I don;t sell dell pc's)

or get a real cooling tower, or price out  true silent PCs and go broke,

SPEED + silent is NEVER CHEAP.

if you must run fans , the run them big and slow, get fans that do huge CFM at low speeds.

one why to do that is liquid cooling tower,  (or so big it NEEDS NO FANS at all for 90% of the heat)

Just like your car a bigger engine needs a bigger radiator and fan. (we be doing one now)

September 8th, 2019 13:00

I should try to OC it too.. Thanks for the tip.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

September 8th, 2019 14:00

Removing the shroud/fan/heatsink cooling unit from the GPU to install a water cooler would void the warranty on the stock GPU.  It shouldn't void the warranty on the remainder of the PC.  But for real world experiences, see what this user experienced dealing with Dell customer support (upgrading GPU voided warranty on entire PC):  https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R7-Warranty-Void-Due-to-Upgrade/m-p/7369107#M14507

If anything goes wrong, best practice is to put everything back to stock before filing a warranty claim, and deal directly with Dell for the claim.  

And keep in mind there's very limited space to install a second AIO in there.  

I'll check and see if any updates are available for the GPU. Thanks!

The CPU came with a water cooling... thinking about getting one for the GPU.. Would this void my warranty? Corsair has one and its like $150..

September 8th, 2019 16:00

AH... I see... Meh.. Guess I'm not taking any chances on a $5k machine... also, got 4 year warranty..

No Events found!