Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 20th, 2020 16:00

Aurora R8, front fan issue, 10% or not working?

Hi guys, I received my Alienware Aurora R8 yesterday.

I noticed that the fan diagnostics (BIOS page, and it spins top and front fan at max speed for 30 seconds) occurs every time I boot up my system. However, today it showed a message saying that my front fan is not working.

However, I went into Alienware Command Center, and saw my front fan is running at 10%. Has anyone also experienced this issue? Should I be worried?

Untitled.png

August 10th, 2020 19:00

Hi everyone, just to provide some closure on this issue. I got help from Dell's online chat support, Stuart (great guy btw) suggested that I flash the BIOS, which solved the problem, for a day. The problem is that the fan would sometime not spin when I boot up the system, so it always goes into that system diagnostic page. It turned out to be a faulty fan. I bought an after-market 120mm case fan from Amazon, swapped out the OEM front fan, and everything worked perfectly. Some tips for people also searching for this solution - Dell's power supply is placed in an awkward position when you are trying to unplug the 4-pin connector and take out the holder, my suggestion is to unplug the motherboard and GPU power so you have room to work with. - The front case is locked inside a plastic holder (you don't need to put in any screws). However, you need to make sure that your new fan is exactly the same size as the original OEM fan (120x120x25mm).

2.2K Posts

Fan diagnostics should not run on every boot if your system is stock from Dell factory with no defects. We'll need more background information as Aurora R8 is probably on the way out the door with R11 now being the latest model.

Thanks, some additional background - I bought the R8 directly from the Alienware website (ordered in June, just received yesterday because I live in Canada).

For the first 3 boot-ups, the system ran the 30-second fan diagnostics in the BIOS page, and then took me to Windows. Afterwards, it started giving me the error message below, which I was able to just hit "continue" and it takes me to Windows. 

Untitled2.png

July 20th, 2020 19:00

More Update:

I've tried setting the front fan speed to 100% in the Alienware Command Center, and it does work - the fan noise went up and you can feel that it is sucking in air. As such, I don't think it's a hardware issue. I can definitely open up the case tomorrow to see if the case fan is properly plugged in.

I think this might be more of a software issue from Dell SupportAssist. I also found a similar thread here: https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware/17-R5-GPU-fan-error-on-boot/td-p/6191036

Please let me know. Thanks again!

July 20th, 2020 20:00

Interesting, does MSI afterburner even control/monitor case fans?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 20th, 2020 20:00

@easilydone   I can definitely open up the case tomorrow to see if the case fan is properly plugged in.

Looks like you got the CPU AIO liquid cooling . . . correct? Try downloading MSI Afterburner and see what fan speeds that reads, and if you can get better control over the fans.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

July 20th, 2020 21:00

It's for the gpu and can control the gpu fan 

July 21st, 2020 04:00

Thanks, MSI Afterburner can control my GPU fan without any issues. It's the front fan that's causing issues for me.

I opened the case today and saw that the front fan is plugged into the motherboard (which makes sense given it is able to spin at 100%, and can be controlled via AWCC), and with zero dust build-up. However, this problem persists, and shows me this error message every time I boot my system. 

There is no BIOS setting for me to turn it off either.

Untitled3.png

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 21st, 2020 05:00

2000-0712 front fan failure. Press F1 to continue.

Sometimes the wires get stuck in the fan when you close the cover the fan cannot turn.

The fix is to route the wires so that its not sittng in the fan blades.

fan wiresfan wiresSome have different orderSome have different order

No Events found!