comdias
1 Copper

Aurora R8, install additional M.2 drives

Hi guys,

I have an Aurora R8 and was wondering if it is possible to expand it with an additional M.2 drive.

The motherboard has only one slot, so I found a PCIe adapter that could do the job.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DYHYLM9/

Would that work?
My idea is to install one of these and add a Samsung 970 EVO to have some extra high speed (juicy 3500) available.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
amstel78
2 Iron

Re: Install additional M.2 drives

Theoretically it should work.  But, I've seen enough strangeness with Dell's motherboard and UEFI BIOS design that there's room for doubt.  If you can buy the PCIe adapter card and drive from a vendor with a good return policy, then I say give it a try. Let us know how it pans out if you decide to go that route.

Tesla1856
6 Gallium

Re: Aurora R8, install additional M.2 drives

@comdias wrote:

Aurora R8 

The motherboard has only one slot, 

Right. So, use only that one slot ... for a nice M.2/PCIe/NVMe-SSD. Only have one of those NVMe-SSDs in system.

Search forum for user that tried what you propose and is having trouble booting now.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
Techgee
2 Iron

@comdias wrote:

Hi guys,

I have an Aurora R8 and was wondering if it is possible to expand it with an additional M.2 drive.

You can add as many M.2 NVMe SSDs to a system as you have PCIe lanes available.  (Even more with specialized hardware that doubles up on lanes - effects concurrent drive use performance, of course.)

The one potential problem, as amstel78 pointed out, is a possible bug in Dell's BIOS.

@comdias wrote:

[...] I found a PCIe adapter that could do the job.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DYHYLM9/

Would that work?

Should be fine.  Any adapter with only a single M.2 NVMe SSD slot should work.  (The additional M.2 SATA on the that card shouldn't create any issues, as it doesn't use any PCIe lanes.)

Note I believe you can only have one NVMe driver in the system.  For example, either Microsoft's that comes with Windows or Samsung's.  Generally not a problem, though.

@Tesla1856 wrote:

[...] Only have one of those NVMe-SSDs in system.

Used to be my misconception as well.  I've had no issues running multiple M.2 NVMe SSDs on one system.  Same idea as running multiple SATA drives on a system.

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Gallium

@Techgee wrote:

@Tesla1856 wrote:

[...] Only have one of those NVMe-SSDs in system.

Used to be my misconception as well.  I've had no issues running multiple M.2 NVMe SSDs on one system.  Same idea as running multiple SATA drives on a system.

Just a suggestion.

Admittedly, there are two issues that must be over-come before it will work. I know of another, so that's three.

There is simply no good reason make the effort. There is no valid-config that requires it. These are not workstations.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
Techgee
2 Iron

@Tesla1856 wrote:

Just a suggestion.

Admittedly, there are two issues that must be over-come before it will work. I know of another, so that's three.

There is simply no good reason make the effort. There is no valid-config that requires it. These are not workstations.

I agree that setting up a system with M.2 NVMe SSD(s) can involve working through lots of configuration settings and figuring out how to get it all to work.  This can be daunting, confusing and frustrating.  Like anything, once you understand how to do it it's not too bad, but it does involve a lot more technical aspects than most people want to deal with.

The reason I've made the effort on my machines is it's worth the increased performance for me.  Additionally, my personal policy once a new tech (NVMe in this case) has been out a while and is stable with a reasonable cost is I don't buy the old tech (SATA) anymore.

I'm done buying SATA SSDs for Windows/OS drives and active data drives.  For my use, SATA SSDs are only for storing backups or archiving inactive files I still want online.  I don't have any spinning HDs anymore, but if I did I'd only use them for archiving larger files like videos and pics, where it can make sense.

With the Aurora R8 and 2 M.2 NVMe SSDs, you should see up to 3500 MB/s copying between drives and up to over 1000 MB/s copying to an external M.2 NVMe SSD USB enclosure.

I don't have the new Aurora R8, but I can copy files between my ten year old Dell's multiple M.2 NVMe drives at up to 1700 MB/s.  I can even copy files between them and an external M.2 NVMe USB 3.1 Gen 2 drive enclosure at up to 800 MB/s.  This is much better than SATA II or III.

0 Kudos