Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

1 Message

December 21st, 2018 22:00

Aurora R8, trying to figure out ram

These are the stats I’m looking at getting. I can not figure out what mother board the r8 uses. For ram is it cheaper to buy on Newegg for the same amount? Also what pin count are the 4 ram slots?

Intel i9 9900k 8 core 16 thread

GeForce 2080 8gb graphics

Ram either 32gb or 64gb at 3200mhz

Dual drive 250gb pcie and 2tb

850 watt power supply 

Qualcomm WiFi card

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 22nd, 2018 00:00

Looks real nice. I also suggest the Liquid-Cooler for the Intel i9-9900k .

Either of those RAM configs will be 2-4 DIMMs, so Dual-Channel will activate. Naw, just get your ram now from Dell. Most of these new Auroras are pretty finicky about RAM (especially XMP kind).

Yes, PCIe NVMe SSD is what you want for Windows and Apps, but I would go with a 512gb one. 

As for the second drive ... do people still use spinning-HDD when 1-tb 2.5inch SATA-SSD are so cheap?

For specs, grab the PDF manuals.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

December 24th, 2018 10:00

@Keengrod,

Memory specifications
Description Values

Slots

Four DIMM sockets

Type

DDR4

Speed

• 2666 MHz
  • Up to HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200 MHz

Maximum memory

64 GB

Minimum memory

4 GB

Memory per slot

4 GB, 8 GB, and 16 GB

Configurations supported

• 8 GB DDR4 at 2666 MHz
  • 16 GB DDR4 at 2666 MHz
  • 32 GB DDR4 at 2666 MHz
  • 64 GB DDR4 at 2666 MHz
  • 8 GB XMP at 2933 MHz
  • 16 GB XMP at 2933 MHz
  • 32 GB XMP at 2933 MHz
  • 64 GB XMP at 2933 MHz
  • 16 GB XMP at 3200 MHz
  • 32 GB XMP at 3200 MHz
  • 64 GB XMP at 3200 MHz

March 1st, 2019 05:00

Just got a new aurora r8 and was looking into this as well. My system shipped with one module of 16gb HyperX 2933 single channel and I was looking into adding another to go 32gb dual channel. From ALL the research I have done, it seems that NONE of the retail HyperX modules will work with the one Dell have used because the timings etc have been specifically customised for Dell, thus making it IMPOSSIBLE to add aftermarket memory without having to swap out the original Dell HyperX memory, which is ridiculous! Why, oh why did Dell make it like this? - I can’t say I am that pleased about the fact that I cannot simply add another stick of ram without having to ditch a perfectly fine module in order to do so. Basically, in a nutshell, it’s like Dell have got us over a barrel with regards to aftermarket memory upgrades - you can’t buy a retail one to match because Dell chose to have customised specifications for their version of HyperX Fury. The upshot? - if I wanted to add memory, I now HAVE to buy it from Dell directly and I’ve seen threads here where prices are exhorbitent to the extent of being in the region of $600 for a stick!! Had I known this at the time, I would not have configured in this way!!!

402 Posts

March 1st, 2019 06:00

@steviejones133 wrote:
Just got a new aurora r8 and was looking into this as well. My system shipped with one module of 16gb HyperX 2933 single channel and I was looking into adding another to go 32gb dual channel. From ALL the research I have done, it seems that NONE of the retail HyperX modules will work with the one Dell have used because the timings etc have been specifically customised for Dell, thus making it IMPOSSIBLE to add aftermarket memory without having to swap out the original Dell HyperX memory, which is ridiculous! Why, oh why did Dell make it like this? - I can’t say I am that pleased about the fact that I cannot simply add another stick of ram without having to ditch a perfectly fine module in order to do so. Basically, in a nutshell, it’s like Dell have got us over a barrel with regards to aftermarket memory upgrades - you can’t buy a retail one to match because Dell chose to have customised specifications for their version of HyperX Fury. The upshot? - if I wanted to add memory, I now HAVE to buy it from Dell directly and I’ve seen threads here where prices are exhorbitent to the extent of being in the region of $600 for a stick!! Had I known this at the time, I would not have configured in this way!!!

Welcome to the Dell ecosphere...

The R8 is just like the R7 as far as the motherboard goes.  Finicky RAM support, limited UEFI BIOS options, 8x electrical PCIe lanes, etc. etc.

Memory and GPU prices have come down that it makes more sense to BYO rather than buy turnkey at this point.

March 4th, 2019 07:00

I just replaced my 32gb of oem ram that I bought my system with like 2 weeks following purchase. 

I picked up the 64gb kit of hyper x fury ram. 

Yes the logic with buying 64gb on top of my already purchased 32gb was ridiculous, but I too found out that you couldn't mix. It worked out well though as my hyper x fury ram ended up having issues and had to be sent out to be exchanged. Luckily I had my 32gb oem ram to use while I waited!

The stuff you replace it with...will no doubt be better anyway. The heatsinks on real aftermarket ram are quite necessary, and the fact that the Dell oem stuff doesn't have it... is kind of cringey.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 4th, 2019 10:00

@PentatonicSteel wrote:

The heatsinks on real aftermarket ram are quite necessary, and the fact that the Dell oem stuff doesn't have it... is kind of cringey.

I ordered this as pre-installed in my Aurora-R6. These DIMMs have heat-sinks.

16gb (2x8gb) DDR4 Kingston Hyper-X Fury 2667mhz Ram (Dual-Channel)

1 Message

April 21st, 2019 18:00

Actually, in doing research on the processor IT... Can. Support 128gb

June 6th, 2019 17:00

i have a question I bought an aurora r8 as well and I want to know if this ram will work in my pc

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 C15 Memory Kit

June 6th, 2019 20:00

AURORA R8 I-7 9700K

can anyone tell me which hyperx fury ram card to buy I want 32gb as of now and I wanna get the right one on amazon can anyone give me a link I want 3200mhz I just wanna make sure I get the right one that's all

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 7th, 2019 08:00

Only RED dimms work.  :p

Green and Blue dont work ONLY REDGreen and Blue dont work ONLY RED

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/aurora-r8/CT13990259

There are 4 slots and so 16 gig is max dimm size.

I recommend Matched ram sets.

DDR4 PC4-24000 • 15-16-16 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR4-3000 • 1.35V • 1024Meg x 64 •

6 Posts

June 7th, 2019 09:00

@amstel78 wrote:

Memory and GPU prices have come down that it makes more sense to BYO rather than buy turnkey at this point.

This isn't necessarily true anymore.

I know this is Dell's forum, so let me be clear that I am not a Dell/Alienware employee nor am I shill.

With sales, employee programs, discounts and other price reductions, you can get an Alienware desktop that is either slightly more, equal or less in money to parts picked out to BYO. I'm actually surprised that pre-builds have considerably come down in cost because 10 years ago BYO was absolutely the way to go. I've built 7 computers and I just purchased my first Alienware desktop a week ago. I'm no longer going the BYO for a variety of reasons.

GPU prices are still very high, granted not as high during the mining craze but still beyond what they should be priced IMO. 5 years ago you could have gotten a top of the line GPU for around $500 and now its doubled. Memory prices are still high as well. Storage, on the other hand, especially SSD's, are pretty cheap.

6 Posts

If you do go for the 32GB or 64GB RAM at 3200mhz, make sure you enable XMP in either the BIOS or Alienware Command Center (in Fusion, enable an overclock profile and the settings for the RAM at 3200mhz should be the second profile).

My Aurora R8 did not have XMP enabled out of the box, so double check your system when you get it.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 22nd, 2019 08:00

thx for the reply it makes clear. Just got my R8 this week, I was confused about the ram speed,32gb 3200mhz from Alienware, but in BIOS only shows 2666MHZ with no option to over clock it. Until I found the ram setting in Fusion, yes ram 1 is at 3000mhz, ram 2 is at3200mhz~

September 16th, 2019 14:00

Will the HyperX Fury 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM work on aurora r8? If yes, can I upgrade to 64gb later?

I bough 32 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz DDR4 but I ended up my computer was freezing or just randomly restarted.

No Events found!