Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

26 Posts

March 12th, 2019 20:00

Aurora R8, what is the best way to reset/clean install?

Of the many options available, which is considered the best way to wipe everything out and start again with Windows 10.

402 Posts

March 13th, 2019 07:00

If starting 100% fresh, I'd use the Windows installer to wipe the target drive (reformat and partition), then do a clean install.  It'd be ideal to have a copy of all drivers ahead of time on a USB stick.  As soon as Windows is installed, whatever Windows update doesn't automatically find in terms of drivers, use the ones you have already on the stick to manually update.  Also, Windows Update may find workable drivers but may not be the most updated ones - hence the reason to download all current versions ahead of time.

BTW, if you want to keep Dell's recovery volume just in case, only format the C: partition.  Don't wipe the whole drive.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 13th, 2019 11:00

Creating and using the Windows Recovery Drive should take you back to Dell Factory shipped software-load.

For something even cleaner than that, you can install Windows fresh.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R7-M-2-NVMe-bootable-options/m-p/6073081/highlight/true#M3401

26 Posts

March 13th, 2019 15:00

I chose to recover via start up using the factory default install. It worked fast and painless. Touch wood, all good.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 14th, 2019 04:00

You have to Jump thru all kinds of hoops to use USB installer.

OEM System Builder DVD 64 bit windows 10 1809 is my go to installer now for EVERYTHING from my 2006  Optiplex GX620 tower to my Brand New Dell G7 15 Laptop purchased Jan 22, 2019.

Older systems work fine with DVD and Sata Set to AHCI.

Newer Systems use the same DVD and install without issue by using a USB DVD Drive.

This was a problem with windows 7 due to USB3 drivers not built into windows 7.

I have no issues using the one DVD to install All of my systems for the last 13 years.

Older Units Require me to install and say that "I do not have a windows key"  then I go online and run SLUI 3 to activate using the windows 7 home or Pro Key from the COA sticker.

Newer systems with windows 8 or 10 key in bios activate automatically.

The final part is to install any Drivers for VIDEO or Audio or Chipset.   Older systems need INTEL RST 10.1.0.1008 or newer.

If you ever activated 10 and are just re installing you just need to get back online and windows is activated automatically.

I also use my systems primarily for games so

DOTNET 2.0  /  3.5  must be manually re installed along with Directx June 2010 and Visual C++ 2010 SP1 X86

Other Items may also need to be re installed.

You can no longer Get Windows essentials 2012 so if you did not download this you will not be able to reinstall it.

For DVD playback I use the USB Blue Ray Drive that I purchase for this.  It comes with Cyberlogic Power DVD 12 which works fine on windows 10.

Earlier versions are not supported.

LG BP50NB40  drives are available at Best Buy and Amazon etc.

https://www.lg.com/us/burners-drives/lg-BP50NB40-external-blu-ray-dvd-drive

https://www.amazon.com/LG-WP50NB40-Portable-Blu-Ray-Writer/dp/B00L4FW7O2/

The cost of this external drive is the same as buying Cyberlogic Power DVD alone.

Most Games do not come with an actual Disk anymore but F12 booting a windows 10 DVD to install works on everything whether its a MAC or DELL or any other vendor.

No Events found!