Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

167 Posts

December 1st, 2019 10:00

Aurora R9, GPU fan, max ram speed

I’ve had my r9 for 2 months now. And have really enjoyed it. But I’ve run into a problem with my video card. When playing sea of thieves, I notice when the GPU temps eclipses 80c the GPU fan comes on at a very high RPM. It happens almost every minute or two when the temperature fluctuates. I did some research, and people say that the issue is thermal paste. (I’d try and re-apply it if I could find a video of the same exact blower type 2080ti tear down) If not I’ll contact dell. I have found a way to stop the fan from going very loud, and that is to make a custom OC setting in AWCC that doesn’t allow temps to eclipse 78c. Note, other games that go over 80c do not make the fan RPM to become erratic. Just sea of thieves. Also, does anyone know what the maximum RAM speed is for this motherboard? I have 2660 which is probably a problem... 

https://youtu.be/mQb_m8AZ4g4

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 1st, 2019 16:00

@Bmwpower603    I’d try and re-apply it if I could find a video of the same exact blower type 2080ti tear down

Not sure if you have seen this video, but it is an 'attempted' tear down of the RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition card with the 'vapor chamber' cooling. Not to difficult to get it down to where you would need to be for new thermal paste, but there are a lot of screws. This guy actually gives up trying to get it apart in the video, but a link is posted below the vid where they eventually figured it out at some later time.

RTX 2080 Ti Founder's Edition tear down 

167 Posts

December 1st, 2019 17:00

Thank you for that. 

Do you know if 3600 speed ram will work on this MB?

I was told that my Gaming experience / video could be bottlenecking due to slow ram. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 1st, 2019 18:00

@Bmwpower603   Do you know if 3600 speed ram will work on this MB?

I don't think so. According to this link, the i9-9900K will support DDR4-2666

Intel i9-9900K 

Seeing as it is coupled with a Dell mobo and BIOS, I can only imagine it being throttled from there.

167 Posts

December 1st, 2019 19:00

I think dell sells these r9s with faster RAM though. 

So the MB is a z390?

2.2K Posts

December 1st, 2019 20:00

Per Dell's datasheet posted on their support site, the MB is z370.

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/alienware-aurora-r9-desktop/alienware-aurora-r9-setup-and-specifications/chipset?guid=guid-9735fcab-1a62-42bb-a7cd-04a062aef546&lang=en-us

Here are the supported DDR memories from the same datasheet:

• 8 GB DDR4 at 2666 MHz
  • 16 GB DDR4 at 2666 MHz
  • 32 GB DDR4 at 2666 MHz
  • 64 GB DDR4 at 2666 MHz
  • 16 GB XMP at 2933 MHz
  • 32 GB XMP at 2933 MHz
  • 64 GB XMP at 2933 MHz
  • 16 GB XMP at 3200 MHz
  • 32 GB XMP at 3200 MHz
  • 64 GB XMP at 3200 MHz

Yours truly is running 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz on R8. No issue hitting the advertised speed.

167 Posts

December 1st, 2019 21:00

Good to know I can Atleast do 3200

that I have to throw away the 2660

Maybe I can put it in my office computer. 

2.2K Posts

December 2nd, 2019 00:00

I think the RAM is the least of your worries. Best put your energy into figuring out what's going on with the 2080 Ti. Good thing you kept things under control with the custom fan curve. I've always felt unsure how a 250W GPU would work well in a casing like the Aurora R8/R9.

BTW, I swung by local BB earlier and noticed that for the R9, the front bezel is recessed deep inwards near to the front of the inner frame. Probably rules out the possibility of sticking a 15mm thick fan there for GPU radiator cooling.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 2nd, 2019 09:00

@GTS81   Best put your energy into figuring out what's going on with the 2080 Ti

From the initial post is seems that @Bmwpower603 has a blower style graphics card, which is great for keeping hot exhaust air out of the case, but apparently not as good at cooling the components of the graphics card , at least according to the dude in the 'tear down' video I posted. He said that is why nVidia has gone to the 'twin fan/vapor chamber' for cooling on the new RTX 2080 Ti cards.

full water block & external rad

167 Posts

December 4th, 2019 00:00

Dell has decided to send me a 2080ti to replace the one that gets loud under load. 

(I’m hoping the card I receive isn’t used, or refurbished) 

Having the original thermal paste would be nice. I would hate to downgrade from my new video card. 

I downloaded msi afterburner, and have been getting very good temps when using custom fan curve. 

The only time the GPU goes full rpm, is when I put the fan speed setting on auto. (Which I don’t think is normal) 

Does anyone know of a way to figure out if the card is new? I assume if it’s a brown dell box, it’s used. And if it’s new it will be an EVGA box? 

2.2K Posts

December 4th, 2019 10:00

I don't think you'll get retail package (EVGA/MSI) when getting parts from Dell, new or used. You'll have to run the product's serial number against Dell Sales and get their written answer so that you have some leverage in case things go south.

There are many reasons why your new card can still go full throttle when put on auto. Some legit reason includes the card's BIOS setting and the sensitivity of the thermal sensing circuits. If it works with Afterburner, is that still an issue?

167 Posts

December 4th, 2019 14:00

I do NOT have the issue then the customizing the fan speed to 50-60%

Temps dont eclipse 65C when fan speeds are set to 60% using the afterburner.. 

Maybe from it running really hot for 2 months caused some thermal paste to burn off? 

Should I still swap the card for a new one? The Dell guy is coming tomorrow. 

Maybe I should try and swap it. Then see if it does the same thing on auto. And make sure theres no GPU whine.

167 Posts

December 4th, 2019 15:00

My warranty wont change. 

And I was wrong about the fan getting loud with the fan speed set to 60%.. 

It still reaches 81C, and gets very loud.. I am definitely swapping it out. 

It never did this the whole 2 months of me owning it. So im thinking the thermal paste has gone bad.  

2.2K Posts

December 4th, 2019 15:00

If it resets the clock on the warranty, I'd say go for it!

167 Posts

December 4th, 2019 17:00

Just disassembled the GPU.

Looks like thermal paste COULD be the issue. 

The car/ heat sink Had some missing paste on the corners. 

Please tell me if you think my application of T paste is "good enough" 

I have already tested this. And the fans are NOT loud anymore. And the RPMs are maxing out. BUT the temps do seem to be 1 or 2C higher. Could need a better coating of t paste. 

So if I get the NEW card from DELL tomorrow, ill most likely just reapply thermal paste. And hope for the best.... 

IMG_5137.jpgIMG_5138.jpegIMG_5141.jpg

No Events found!