Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

16 Posts

February 14th, 2020 17:00

Aurora R9, GeForce GTX 950, no signal from monitor and keyboard

Similar problem here. Dell Aurora R9 came with the GeForce GTX 1650. I want to swap it with my older 2015 released GeForce GTX 950. 

460w power supply, has the 6 pin connector that the GeForce GTX 950 needs. Now I have the same problem. No display or keyboard lights with the GeForce GTX 950 in the computer.

Dell support is useless. I have had too many headaches with this computer. It is supposed to be easily upgradeable and Dell aims it at gamers!

If I can't figure this out soon, I am returning the computer. I just got it a week ago.

Why would you want to downgrade to the GeForce GTX 950 which has a 73% drop in Gaming performance index? DELL-Admin

16 Posts

please, lets not get concerned with performance. I dont play games on the PC. i have my reason to use the gtx950 in the R9.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

@alirz1  I dont play games on the PC

Does your board have a GPU 8-pin power connector like the one shown below? (click photo to embiggen)

Aurora mobo.png

16 Posts

February 14th, 2020 18:00

yes it does. However it only has 4 wires in its connector.

The gtx950 only needs a 6pin connector.

i tried the power sypply from my other custom built pc, it has the same power supply connectors as the dell's and i have the same issue. So its related to the power supply itself.....

Does that 8pin connector on the needs to have all 8 wires in it? Technically the Dell power supply has a pin connector along with its 6pin connector. Do i need to do something with that? 

20200214_210600.jpg

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

The GTX 950s firmware doesn't support UEFI secureboot, absent an update.   Disable secureboot, f2 on startup, and you will be all set.  Then you can see if there's an update available from Nvidia, so you can turn it back on.

16 Posts

@Anonymous as you will see in my picture posted above. both connectors are connected.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

@alirz1 

You will need both, the 8-pin connector (even with only 4 wires) plugged into the board, and the 6-pin connector plugged into the GTX 950.

16 Posts

i already tried that doesnt work. 

ok so to add more to the confusion. when i first installed the 950 in the pc like 3 days ago, had same problem. After after some fiddling, not sure what i did, but it started working. The secure boot was on at that point.

Today i just to unplug the PC from the wall, after that i ran into this issue and since this morning havent been able to turn it on. Even tried disabling secure boot etc.

the 950 is supposed to be compatible as per my research on the internet.

16 Posts

hmm cant edit the post above. but i meant to say it IS NOT related to the power supply itself.

16 Posts

February 14th, 2020 19:00

Nice so my picture doesn’t display in the above post. Shows a yellow exclamation.

thanks dell.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 14th, 2020 21:00

@alirz1 

If you are logged in, only you can see your posted photo until it is moderator approved. For others, it will display a yellow triangle as a 'placeholder'. If you are logged in and seeing a yellow exclamation point, consider re-posting the photo.

16 Posts

February 15th, 2020 04:00

Thanks. You have any more ideas why the card is not working in the r9?

appreciate your help.

February 17th, 2020 09:00

Hi

Not intending to sound like a jerk, just a bit perplexed, and want to help.

You pulled a working card that came with the system, and replaced it with an older card that is giving you trouble? I'm confused as to why this is Dell's fault.

You also state you have a reason to do it, but dont state the reason. It is very difficult to help if you dont explain why such a drastic move is needed.

Regards

16 Posts

February 17th, 2020 11:00

@TheTallMan 

Ok so here is the reason. I need to use the Display port on the video card. Dells website says the r9 has the DP port. Every GTX 1650 card out there comes with HDMI and DP. However the one in my R9 DOES NOT have a DP port but instead a DVI! So yes, Dell is partially to blame, even though im not blaming them for my issue really.

Yes the R9 has an onboard DP port, but that is disabled as long as theres video card in the system.

My GTX 950 has 1 hdmi and 3DP ports. I am just trying to use that card in the R9 and the question is why it doesnt work, whereas that card works in every other PC i have. I cannot find anything anywhere that specfically states if this is realated to UEFI, Secure boot or the GTX950 not support UEFI(which supposedly it does, as do Nvidia cards as of series 5-6).

So my issue remains unfortunately.

16 Posts

February 17th, 2020 11:00

Hmm, so I came across this and reading that has scared me a bit. Now I am debating if I should really return my R9 and DIY a PC. Given that the R9 has a class 3 bios.

February 17th, 2020 14:00

Hi

Thats really weird about the card having no DP. Are you sure? What did Dell say?

Also, do you have a 120hz monitor? is that why you are trying to use the DP, for gaming? If not, just put the original card back in, and use HDMI. Also, I think you have a one step forward,two steps back situation. If you get the card with DP working, and have a 120hz  monitor, that cards performance is going to struggle with some of the more modern games like Metro and others at high settings.

No Events found!