Highlighted
2 Bronze

Aurora R9 , New April 2020 Vbios update/ New Alienware Bios update

I updated this (firmware Vbios, Video card firmware) and it caused a mountain of issues,(current graphic card Nvidia RTx 2060 Super) when i updated driver to nvidia 445.75 or 445.78 after the firmware update is when things went crazy,so the vbios and drivers were clashing,black screen,shutting down ,entering power saving mode ,pixelation , at the the end i had to reset keeping all original files,after reset games still didnt work /or shut down, using 441.12 display driver now , i have nvidia 2060 super rtx from dell , than i ran a diagnostic and got a notice my Alienware bios needed an update april 2020,i cautiously updated it ,but support assist never notified me of this update, after several self restarts during the AW bios update. After all this it now seems to be running fine and passed all video card tests, dont know what the long term issues, that firmware (vibios) might has caused but for now its playing all games and doesnt shut down or glitches. I am not an expert but this was my experience.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

my advice is never install the most recent bios update off the press from Dell (we are still in April 2020).  always wait until multiple other users in community have reported positive experience.  installing brand new bios update from dell is essentially volunteering as a test object for their programmers to experiment their codes in public.  numerous reports of new bugs introduced by the dell updates which created many headaches than fixing any.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Can you also share what video card tests you conducted?

Thx!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Ruthenium

Dell has manual video card tests that can be launched via support assist.  There are three that take about an hour if you run all three. You can also do an all hardware test (but shortened gpu tests) by doing a system check or epsa f12 on startup. 

0 Kudos