Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 16th, 2020 06:00

Aurora R9, cannot install software or updates

Just received my new Alienware Aurora R9.

I've just had THE WORST experience trying to get this new PC set.

I Work long hours during the week and was setting aside Saturday to set up my new PC (it arrived the previous Wednesday).

1st. - won't connect to internet via ethernet (invalid IP) - resolved by issuing a fixed address

2nd. Won't connect to Dell - but can connect to other websites

3rd. Can't download any windows updates or install any software

4th. Dell support not available AT ALL on the weekends - £3.5K spent on the PC and no support.

I've disabled all anti-virus and firewalls - still no good. Even re-installed (recovered) windows back to factory settings and tried again.

Is there anything anyone can suggest I try next before it goes back in the box and is returned to Dell?

Thanks in anticipation (fingers crossed).

Andy

May 22nd, 2020 01:00

Issue has now been resolved. The Dell technician remotely connected to the system and after several hours confirmed there is a hardware fault and has booked a replacement R9 for me. Hopefully it won't take too long to arrive.

May 16th, 2020 10:00

NOTE: all other PCs/Xbox/TV etc. in the house are working fine.

Even on the Aurora R9 - the speed test is returning 63Mb downloads and I can connect to other sites fine.

Just cannot connect to Dell or install any updates (Alienware or Microsoft)

7 Posts

Are you using a VPN? That may be causing an internet connection to certain websites. Connect via Wi-Fi and see if that helps first. If it does, connect Ethernet cable later.

Otherwise, you may need to wait for tech support to connect to your system so they can have a look.

If you have "Support Assist" installed, run that and go to troubleshooting or run "optimize network" scan. If you don't have Support Assist installed, install it and try that.

Hopefully that helps.

Pc is literally brand new out of the box - so no VPN.

Support Assist doesn't work either - it starts, says it needs to update but then says it cannot connect.

Yet I can browse using chrome to other websites etc.

I even totally disabled and uninstalled all antivirus / firewall - same issue persists.

May 16th, 2020 13:00

I've tried to update software with both ethernet and wifi enabled, then only the ethernet enabled, then with only the wifi enabled. The end result is the same. I can browse the internet for most sites, e.g. google, bbc, you-tube, and others, however some sites will just not connect. Most notably DELL, McAffee and Dropbox (there are more).

While attempting to install McAffee antivirus, I contacted a McAffee (via remote access which did work) - he attempted to install McAfee for me. He tested my connection speed and did manage to get windows updates to install but could not get McAffee to install after he found that the Aurora R9 would not connect with the McAffee website during the installation process. After more than an hour his only suggestion was to get in touch with my ISP despite the fact that all the other PCs at my house could connect to McAffee's site, the issue is not the ISP. My other PCs at home  can connect to Dell's site and have no problem installing software.

Note I'm editing these forum messages from my Alienware Laptop (R17) - the Aurora R9 cannot connect to this forum!

I need the new PC for my work and paid a high premium because I want and need a PC that is extremely reliable. I am losing confidence with this PC and come Monday will be contacting Dell to arrange a return and a full refund.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

May 16th, 2020 13:00

Does the Ethernet work if you disable wifi? 

May 16th, 2020 14:00

I will try with a mobile hotspot in the morning - it's getting too late now.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

May 16th, 2020 14:00

To rule out an issue with the router you'd need to try connecting to a different internet service provider (like, temporarily enabling a wifi hotspot on your mobile for the R9).  There could be a compatibility issue between your router and your network card that only impacts the R9 because it's newer.  

May 17th, 2020 02:00

Same issue using a mobile hotspot - the issue is definitely the R9.

Also, noticed that the network card in the R9 is the same as the network card in the laptop. The laptop is fine and always has been.

Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet Controller.

No Events found!