Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

13 Posts

March 3rd, 2021 07:00

Aurora R9, case change

I'm leaning towards changing the R9 case to something that's not as cramped. I'm wondering what is salvageable. I am going to get a new motherboard. Can I salvage the power supply? Is there anything else that I need to change besides the MB? I have a H60 Aio and changed all the fans to Ml120s 

7 Technologist

• 

10.3K Posts

March 3rd, 2021 08:00

Yes cpu is standard. Chipset is z370. Z390 chipset is backward compatible with 370.

work involves figuring out Dell LED controller connector (LED_CONTROLLER) pinout for power switch.  R8 is figured out, but not sure for R9.  For the time being you can remove the entire Dell power switch and move it to new case w Mb.

also you will lose IO shield as OEM one is not removable from case.

yw.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

To avoid the IO failure warning on every boot you also need to remove the front panel USB connectors and bring them over to the new case and lose your USB 3.0 headers, or figure out which PINS require jumpers.

13 Posts

It's a standard processor correct? It would work in any Z390? I have 9700. I MAY swap it out for a 9900k. What would I have to do to get the oem mb to work with a new case? Thanks for taking your time to help me. 

7 Technologist

• 

10.3K Posts

Re: I am going to get a new motherboard. Can I salvage the power supply? Is there anything else that I need to change besides the MB?

if just OEM case is cramped, that does not warrant a Mb change.  Moving Dell proprietary board to new case needs some work though.

if you get a new Mb, it is a not a case change any more but new system build.

you can use Dell OEM psu, memory, video card, and even cpu if new motherboard is compatible.

No Events found!