Highlighted
2 Bronze

Aurora R9, error installing 64GB HyperX Fury DDR4 3200MHz RAM

Jump to solution

I purchased and installed 4x 16GB cards of HyperX Fury DDR4 3200mhz RAM cards and am getting a 4-yellow flashing light (indicating a memory issue) when starting my computer.  I have tested all cards (they all work) and tried it with 3 of the 4 cards installed and am able to get the computer started (with 48GB registering).  Why am I having this error with all 4 cards installed?

Any help is much appreciated; thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: Aurora R9, error installing 64GB HyperX Fury DDR4 3200MHz RAM

Jump to solution

I had the same dilemma. The R9 only supports 64gb at 2933MHZ .I found that out after quite a bit of research. They(2933MHZ) run at 1.2 v.... not 1.35 v that the 3200mhz require. Dell would have to give us a bios update for this support....but you know Dell. I'm angry but I figure 48 gb is okay for now. But I really would like 64gb.. They'll probably use this support on an upcoming Alien ware for a "money" grabber LOL.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Jump to solution

Have you tried disabling XMP (it may down clock the frequency to 2933 if it works though) 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Jump to solution

Also, did you buy a matched 64 gb set, or did you buy two 32gb sets or something else? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I had the same dilemma. The R9 only supports 64gb at 2933MHZ .I found that out after quite a bit of research. They(2933MHZ) run at 1.2 v.... not 1.35 v that the 3200mhz require. Dell would have to give us a bios update for this support....but you know Dell. I'm angry but I figure 48 gb is okay for now. But I really would like 64gb.. They'll probably use this support on an upcoming Alien ware for a "money" grabber LOL.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Jump to solution

Did you try disabling XMP and seeing if it posts with 64gb @2933? 

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I am about to try this and will respond, promptly.  As a follow up question; will the machine run faster/better with 64gb at 2933, or with 48gb at 3200?  I am a massive multitasker with many rendering/gaming/recording operations going on at once.

While solely gaming, will games run faster with the 48gb, because they are using only 8 and amping off the 3200mhz, whereas the machine will only start to see benefits if I use over 48gb of RAM at once, or will the games run faster with the 64gb of 2933mhz?

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Jump to solution

For gaming I would say that the 48 gb @ 3200, everything else being equal, would be better (although the difference probably wouldn't be noticeable for most intents and purposes).  I doubt you would need more than 48gb solely for gaming, or even 32 for that matter, and having more RAM than needed will not result in a performance improvement.  It only makes a real difference when you're utilizing all the available RAM.   If you're using a significant of RAM for other purposes, then probably it would be better to have 64 gb (the max supported by this board).  

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I tried disabling XMP and it would reset them to 2400MHz.  However, when shutting down and inserting the 4th card, it would still not start (same 4-yellow flash memory error).  I put them in, individually, to set them all to XMP-Off, but Alienware seemed to keep resetting them to XMP-On after new card insertion.

I have not been able to find a way to put all 4 in and set it to XMP-Off, because the machine won't boot into the BIOS with 4 of them plugged in.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Can you point me to the place where you figured out the R9 cannot handle 64gb of 3200mhz RAM?  I need to send this proof to Dell customer support because they keep telling me it can handle it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Germanium

Jump to solution
0 Kudos