Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

10 Posts

February 9th, 2020 11:00

Aurora R9, fan noise concern?

I have purchased an Aurora R9 i7 16gb 2070 Super with liquid cooling. I have been reading with increasing concern about out-of-control fan noise with these desktops. Is this still a problem? Has Alienware made changes to their fans to address this issue? Or can I expect to be disappointed? My order hasn't shipped yet. If it's this big of a problem I may cancel.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 9th, 2020 11:00

Lets get the machine, and see how it works, before you start worry-ing . 

When you get it going and gaming (all hot and heavy) there are various adjustments that can be made in Thermal-Controller. The video card also has fans.

You have 14-days to use it and decide if you want to keep it.

4 Posts

February 10th, 2020 09:00

I got R10 Ryzen and my fan is like a jet engine, I am returning this computer I didnt pay 2300$ for this BS 

10 Posts

February 10th, 2020 10:00

Did you get liquid cooling? I am wondering if it makes a difference. I am concerned about the noise but it does seem like it varies. Going through the reviews, some people have complained, others have specifically noted they were not experiencing noise issues. 

I guess we have a couple weeks to make a decision. If mine proves to be too loud, I would be willing to listen to suggestions. But if I was unable to resolve the noise to my satisfaction I would return it. My system shipped today, so I'll know by Wednesday. I'm looking forward to this computer, hope it isn't an issue.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 10th, 2020 20:00

@Anttero wrote:

Did you get liquid cooling? I am wondering if it makes a difference.

Yes, it makes a big difference.

10 Posts

February 12th, 2020 17:00

I received my computer today. After getting it all set up I started installing some  games. The first to finish is World of Warcraft. I set everything to ultra and started flying around the busiest areas. The fans did become audible eventually but they certainly were not loud. They were quieter than my Inspiron desktop this replaced. So far I have no complaints. 

2.2K Posts

February 12th, 2020 18:00

Awesome. Happy gaming!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 12th, 2020 19:00

@Anttero wrote:

1. The fans did become audible eventually but they certainly were not loud.

2. They were quieter than my Inspiron desktop this replaced. So far I have no complaints. 

1. Excellent

2. Same here. My Aurora-R6 (running all hot and heavy in games or whatever) ... still quieter than my Aurora-R1 (also with liquid-cooling and very-similar Nvidia GTX-1070).

June 4th, 2020 15:00

Same issue here.  New Aurora 9 with liquid cooling option.  For a few weeks the machine was very quiet aside from a soft prrr.  As of two days ago now a much louder fan noise all the time, even when the machine is idle.  Only the CPU fan is shown as being very active but pinned at 100%

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 4th, 2020 17:00

@Randall068   Only the CPU fan is shown as being very active but pinned at 100%

If you have liquid cooling, you do not have a CPU fan. What you are seeing as '100%' is the AIO pump, which is normal.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

@Randall068   I understand that but something changed such that it is much noisier than for the first couple of weeks I owned it.

You could consider having a Dell tech check it out. You could also just swap out the OEM fans for better quality, more quiet fans. Ball bearing technology is so last century.

I understand that but something changed such that it is much noisier than for the first couple of weeks I owned it.

No Events found!