Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

February 12th, 2018 11:00

Considering getting the new Aurora

Had my Alienware M15x for about 7/8 years now and although it still works a treat for old games and playing media etc, it has pretty much (with the exception of Footie Manager) had its day as far as new games go.
We also need a good family pc anyway that will be future proof for a good while. As I have enjoyed my Alienware laptop so much and had next to no problems with it for so long it seemed the natural choice.

I have about £1500 and the spec I was considering is

Intel Core i-7 8700 (6 core/12 thread, 12mb cache, up to 4.6ghz)
GTX1070 Ti with 8GB GDDR5
16GB DDR4 RAM
256GB SSD (BOOT) + 2TB HD

It comes in around £1689, but with me having got the laptop from them before I pushed for a loyalty discount on top and they offered if for around 1500.

Got a few questions tho. Is it worth spending the extra on the 1070ti as opposed to the standard 1070? Would even the 1060 with 6GB of GDDR5 play all games out now on high spec? Would dropping down to that and upgrading later on be worth considering or would I just end up regretting it?

Will the 256GB ssd Boot drive be adequate for putting the operating system on? There is also an option for a 128GB ssd with 2 TB HD,,, would that be able to do the job as well? A friend advised getting a boot drive so as all my games on the other HD would boot up a lot quicker.

Also in the chassis options it comes as standard with 460W EPA Air Cooled but for £40 more you can have 460W liquid cooled. Is it worth spending the little extra to get liquid cooled? And also if I went with liquid cooled, does that involve any kind of maintenance every so often? Never had a liquid cooled system before so apologies if its a real noob question, but just curious if by going down that road,, will I incur further costs later on etc if i have to replace the liquid or water or whatever it uses lol.

Thanks for any advise guys,,,. Also be nice to hear from other Aurora users on just what you guys think of it

cheers

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 12th, 2018 14:00

@stevotrueblue wrote:

Intel Core i-7 8700 (6 core/12 thread, 12mb cache, up to 4.6ghz)
GTX1070 Ti with 8GB GDDR5
16GB DDR4 RAM
256GB SSD (BOOT) + 2TB HD

This looks good.

However, I would definitely get the Liquid Cooler and 850w Power-Supply. I'm surprised the Configurator didn't throw a config error (with all those power-hungry components inside).

Also, the bootable C: SSD should be the NVMe/PCIe M.2 Form-factor one. You will see r/w speeds of 3000/1500. So, it is much faster than SATA3-/600 limited SSD.

Speed difference between GTX-1070 and GTX-1070ti is small. I would not get the baby 1060.

I have a loaded Aurora-R6 with Dell-OEM GTX-1070 ... it's very nice (very similar to what we describe above).

February 12th, 2018 15:00

Thanks for getting back to me so quick.  I had another look on the configurator and the 256Gb boot up is a PCIe SSD so that would be the one to go for along with 2TB HD.

Adding the 850W Liquid Cooled chassis ups the price overall to around 1800 before Dell discount.  My budget is around the 1500 mark as I still have to add for monitor off of next months pay.

Would the 450W Liquid cooled struggle?

I suppose I could save £60 if I go with the 1070 instead of the 1070ti ,, and I could also drop the RAM down to 8GB and save between another 60-110.  I have upgraded RAM before on the laptop so could easily pop in a card in a month or so.

The Mrs is already giving us grief over the 1500 as she thought that inc the monitor , I doubt I can get another 200 past her,, well at least all in one go lol. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 12th, 2018 21:00

@stevotrueblue wrote:

1. Thanks for getting back to me so quick.

2. I had another look on the configurator and the 256Gb boot up is a PCIe SSD so that would be the one to go for along with 2TB HD.

3. Adding the 850W Liquid Cooled chassis ups the price overall to around 1800 before Dell discount.  My budget is around the 1500 mark as I still have to add for monitor off of next months pay.

4. Would the 450W Liquid cooled struggle?

5. I suppose I could save £60 if I go with the 1070 instead of the 1070ti ,,

6. and I could also drop the RAM down to 8GB and save between another 60-110.  

7. I have upgraded RAM before on the laptop so could easily pop in a card in a month or so.

8. The Mrs is already giving us grief over the 1500 as she thought that inc the monitor , I doubt I can get another 200 past her,, well at least all in one go lol. 

1. Sure thing

2. Nice. Yeah, M.2/NVMe/PCIe is what you want as boot C:. Holds Windows-10, all Apps, and a couple of large games.

3. Not sure about your country. Dell is just up-state from me. On USA website, they have these higher configs with these true extra deeper-discounts. Sign-up for Dell Advantage Rewards first.

4. With that nice Intel-i7 and GTX-1070 ... yeah, you might run-out of 12volts on max-heavy gaming. Plus, that baby 460w Power-Supply will be running around 85% utilization. They usually explode after about a year of that abuse.

5. Sure, save some money there. The Ti is not that much faster.

6. I suggest 16gb and then forget about it.

7. It's real hard to match the existing DIMM perfectly (so you can run dual-channel Memory-Bank). You will end-up buying a whole new pair (starting over).

8. Well, Aurora-R7 is nice, but not if you are lonely because wife left you. :Crying: Did you remind her that she gets to use it sometimes? :Smile:

Yeah, you need a nice monitor. 1080p at around 24inches, or 1440p at around 27inches. IPS panels are best. You don't really need G-Sync or FreeSync. I really like my all-around-good-performer:

Dell 27" u2717D UltraSharp Infinity-Edge IPS 16:9 QHD Monitor

February 13th, 2018 04:00

Do Liquid coolers require changing every so often or any kind of special maintenance ?

February 13th, 2018 04:00

Thanks again ,, 

Yeh you guys probably get better prices and discounts over there.  We seem to get fleeced for everything in the UK,, esp when they add on the additional 20% VAT Tax charge :( 

The Dell Advantage thing maybe different over there as well,, as here it is only a discount after spending over a £100 and it goes towards your NEXT purchase, so prob not much help.

I will try haggling a bit more ,, perhaps try a different agent on the O' line chat,, if they are all on commission then you never know :) 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 13th, 2018 12:00

@stevotrueblue wrote:

The Dell Advantage thing maybe different over there as well,, as here it is only a discount after spending over a £100 and it goes towards your NEXT purchase, so prob not much help.

If you can "get by" for a month or so (until Rewards are issued) you can buy Dell Monitor then (later).

That's providing you are not getting a nice discount (for the Dell Monitor you really want) on an initial purchase bundle.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 13th, 2018 12:00

@stevotrueblue wrote:

Do Liquid coolers require changing every so often or any kind of special maintenance ?

No maintenance. They are sealed. Just blow-out or vacuum the radiator and fans every year-or-so (just like any other machine).

While maybe not typical, the one in my old Aurora-R1 (circa 2010) is over 7-years old. Still works fine.

February 15th, 2018 05:00

called them back and did my best bantering.

Managed to get the price down to around 1450,, and got the GTX1070 , 16GB RAM, 256Pci Boot + 2TB HD , and the 850W Liquid Cooled.

Noticed today that the Alienware 25" Monitor is down from 460 to 299.  I tried to get them to apply my Dell Rewards but they explained that I have to wait 10 days for that.  Given that my rewards come to £75 I might as well wait.  The computer prob not here for about a week anyway so will have at least a week with no monitor.  I am back at work 5th March,,, so knowing my luck wont be up and running until after I go back,,, but hey ho,,, thanks again for all the help 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 15th, 2018 20:00

You are welcome.

Sounds like you did real good (that config sounds just like my last-years Aurora-R6).

Enjoy your new computer :Smile:

No Events found!