Scammed4
2 Bronze

Re: Scammed DO NOT BUY ALIENWARE!

Once again thank you for the feedback.  I have looked inside the PC and luckily there is nothing leaking!  I never overclock either I never got around to trying to as the PC was impressive and very fast when it was brand new.   I have an area 51 R5 and an RTX 2080 GPU .  I have looked into other provider's PSU's and decided to go with the EVGA supernova 850w G3 .  

I have identified my issue as the PSU after months of testing and figuring it out with support from online dell staff. It took a long time to identify the issue completely.  I know I do hold myself responsible for some of the delay and I guess that leads me to my point.   When I bought this PC a year ago I knew absolutely nothing about hardware. I didnt know what GPU meant, or exactly what a motherboard was.  I went with Alienware because of the brand and the support that was supposed to come with it.  Throughout this whole process it has been more kind of a shock to see the reality.   I started my issue with loud fan noise and tested each of the fans. All of them seemed fine.  Dell online support suggested we should replace the top fan and after about a week or two it was done.  All fine except a few dings in the chassis which is regrettable.  It took many suggestions , fans, motherboard, general heat until we reached PSU.  I searched online via google and youtube and that matched my description.  The thing is this is really common, this was not a topic I had to search high and low to find.  It was so common that my issue was narrowing down the exact noise because there were so so many scenarios.  As someone who was new to computers and is still no expert it was a lot to go through and so much was on my end.  I feel this issue should 1, have been more apparent given how common it is.  And 2, perfect world but not be an issue.  There are other models out there that should come standard with these PCs given how much power they have.  I've had to learn all of my PC which is good in the end but it is not what I thought I would be doing given the support included with my purchase.  So if you are in the fence about doing things yourself, but you want the safety of the brand and support all I am saying is be careful, you might end up being your own tech support anyway.... (Installing my new PSU)  

0 Kudos
Dell630i
5 Rhenium

Scammed4
Scammed4
1 Copper
tilt_skillet
2 Bronze

Alienwares old reputation(pre 2010) cannot be held into account anymore since Dell bought the brand and the quality has gone down. All they kept was the the logo and RGB lights no actual concern for hard core gamers. I learnt this the hard way when buying a lower priced R7 "gaming" desktop (6 months ago) and when I opened it up I learnt I had no actual gaming hardware except a bottom of the line 1060 gpu which is pretty **bleep** for a new "gaming" desktop in 2019. A bottom of the line CPU that I cant replace cause Dell won't change a few lines of bios code, like honestly why are they STILL selling "top of the range computers" with motherboards that cant use a CPU developed in 2017, ram from China with no heat sinks that I cant even give away. No liquid cooling yet the picture on the box had it and there was no mention of cooling.
I would def go to youtube videos or community on the forums for help. All online support I tried to deal with had no idea what I was talking about and seemed to be using a translator and a script.

0 Kudos
Scammed4
2 Bronze

When you buy a PC with a 30 day return policy.

1. It could take over 20+ days to reach you, and yes that counts as your 30 days.

2.  If it breaks within weeks of you owning it but it is past your return window congratulations. You just bought a 4,000 dollar paperweight!  Thanks Dell!

3.  What are your options if Dell wont be a just company and allow something like this is happen (to many people)?   Well... you have to learn what is inside your PC and then fix it yourself.  Good Luck.

With 30 days of return and 20+ of those days you dont even have the machine with you.... sounds sketchy.  I wonder if Dell changed their return policy to 60 days ?   You know, enough time to actually own the thing a couple weeks and see how it is.  I do worry you would be out of business though 😕

0 Kudos
Scammed4
2 Bronze

As far as customer support goes.  I couldnt get my PC fixed in months of trying.  I went 3rd party out of my own pocket because at this point I've had the PC 8 months and it worked for a few weeks.  I got tired of their confusion with themselves and did it myself.  By far the worst customer support and onsite communication I have ever experienced.  I told them to cancel my appointment they had been dodging for 3 weeks or so and they responded with "Ok, we will archive the part" .  Now I am American so "Ok" to me means that the information put forward is understood. I dont know if it means something else to other people.  Since this fellow at customer support told me OK and that he would archive the part.... Dell onsite has called me while I am working every single day to try and confirm an appointment.  Again, after I have cancelled the "appointment" and after it was established with the rep.  Can there not be communication between onsite support and online support?  Could there not just be 1 group to communicate with, i.e. onsite support?  Talk to each other do your jobs!  Instant breaking PCs and this level of support.  This is why Dell lost myself and my family's and friends business. $8,000 last year and I am still needing to buy a new laptop too.  If you are going to charge literally almost twice your competition then please have good support and try to at least keep some of the myth of your product.

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
7 Thorium

<  going another route for fans seems to be the best option here.

Not really since a bad PS fan would be inside the PowerSupply itself (a non user serviceable part). 

The HuntKey 850w PS fan problem is well documented here, so Dell knows all about it. It would be very easy to get a Delta 850w unit swapped-out under warranty. Sounds like that would correct your problem (and machine would still be all stock).

However, if you are trying to get a 1500w Delta swapped-in for your 850w instead ... no, I doubt that will ever happen (and with one video card it is not really needed anyway). 

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
Scammed4
2 Bronze

It is important to read context so make sure to read the post before replying.  This is not a post about what this PC's issues were or how to fix them.  As titled, SCAMMED DO NOT BUY ALIENWARE.  This is a post to let people who are looking into alienware realize that it is not all its built up to be.  If Dell/Alienware wishes to sell a machine with a few top of the line parts and the other parts severely underperforming then they are free to do so.  However in the future I'll be going with another company.  I will use the $1,000, yes ONE THOUSAND, that I would of saved via price comparsion to buy upgraded parts... which I have to buy anyway.   It is a shame to charge so much extra money for processor and GPU and then put in such poor stock parts.

But hey we are paying for that legendary customer support right?  Well, it has been over 3 months on my end working with Dell nearly daily.  They dragged and dodged the issue. They cancelled onsite support appointments on me after I already called off work costing me more money.  It got to the point where I had to call a 3rd party PC firm to help me and pay them extra to assist since it is is outside of warranty.  That sounds great that under warranty they'll switch out fans for a delta model.  Idk if that is true it was never brought up to me in the months that I worked with them. That is 100% not my experience but if so good on them!   My experience:  Overpriced equipment,  Underwhelming support.

0 Kudos
Dell630i
5 Rhenium

. . . you are preaching to the choir

0 Kudos
r72019
5 Rhenium

I don't have anything useful to add to your experience, but thank you for sharing.  But on a related note, I would like to go back to my favorite quote from Dell: 

Question:  Will Dell allow users to upgrade the Aurora R7 to the 9900K when it comes out? 

Response from Dell Moderator:  

"My guess is that the Intel 9th Generation CPU's would be bundled with the new Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070/2080/2080 Ti video cards on a future Alienware Desktop model. If we did that, it is doubtful that we would create a BIOS for older Alienware Desktop models to allow the Intel 9th Generation CPU. You ask, "why not?". Because doing so would then take away from possible sales of the future Alienware Desktop model." 

What ended up happening:  No bios update for the R7.  Instead, we got the R8.  And fyi, R8 = (R7 + bios software update [R8 didn't even get a Z390 board, R8 uses a Z370 board just like the R7: some people on this forum have heard from Dell that it is the exact same Z370 board]). 

0 Kudos