• 

378 Posts

October 15th, 2021 03:00

The Aurora Gets A Redesign For 25th Anniversary

1 Rookie

• 

378 Posts

October 15th, 2021 03:00

I’m curious about the thermals. Hopefully they are much better than the current chassis in the R10/11/12 and also the question(s) about upgradability.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

October 15th, 2021 05:00

Hard to say without closeups, but the open case design means the board has to look really good or it will not work visually.

Looks like a custom CPU cooler and the rad is a 120 mm rad mounted to exhaust at the back. Still has the very short hoses. Hopefully there's a 240 mm version, but it does not like like there's any mounting room.

Also looks like the video card is very closely located to the PSU, and that could cause issues with airflow for the video card. Looks like there is maybe 1" between the top of the PSU and the video card.

Also looks like no extra PCIe slots available anymore, so no aftermarket cards can be installed anymore.

9% quieter during heavy CPU workloads is still going to be very loud...

Would have to see this in person to make a decision, but based on those pictures it does not look to me like much has improved motherboard or cooling wise. Just a somewhat different layout and relocation of the PSU.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 15th, 2021 07:00

@Vanadiel 

inside it appears to be just as cramped as the old design.

And if they are trying to sell off G5 8940 7080 500W power supplies with the new design this is also bad news. Makes me wonder because they don't show the power supply.

NEW AURORA.png

1 Rookie

• 

378 Posts

October 15th, 2021 08:00

I do like my R10 and that's partly because I got a sweet deal ($1250 plus tax) for the specs but i'm disappointed with the internal design. Living in hot and humid Florida means there are trade offs until it gets cooler later in the year.

I'm hoping that changes a bit but the new design minus the swing out PSU of the R10/11/12's looks to be similarly constrained wrt to thermals. I hope i'm wrong. The bodywork of the new Aurora does look similar to the current desktops.

Hopefully we'll get more info shortly because I get the feeling these will be released once the Alder Lake's are ready for sale.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

October 15th, 2021 18:00

All they need is this design: Case 

RGB fan controller, 240 mm AIO, lot's of airflow and cooling.

I am sure they can strike a deal with that company to license the IP so they can get it manufactured in their facility of choice.

I don't see that having to cost anything more than the current or new design, but it would be all you need and you can even put 280 mm AIO instead of 240 if you like.

I don't understand the design philosophy behind the Alienware cases...

1 Rookie

• 

378 Posts

October 15th, 2021 20:00

It’s not flashy enough and doesn’t seem to fit the Alienware aesthetics. I do agree though, that particular case would be much better than the current design and its successor.

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

October 15th, 2021 20:00

Well, at one point they showcased a nice Alienware case but it looks like it never went into production.e3-2012-alienware-8.

509 Posts

October 15th, 2021 23:00

New case will still only have a 120mm AIO but can have 2 front intakes, a rear exhaust and then the AIO fan 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 15th, 2021 23:00

@Vanadiel 

HP is listening to their users.  Got away from the proprietary route and went with coolermaster standard parts for the OMEN 25L and OMEN 30L.

The OMEN 30L Desktop all the spec options
of OMEN 25L Desktop with added cooling performance
and an additional thermal compartment with 120mm RGB
front fan from Cooler Master.

https://landing.coolermaster.com/pages/hpomen/

OMEN 30L.png

OMEN.png

1 Rookie

• 

378 Posts

October 16th, 2021 01:00

That’s the Omen 30L I bought earlier this year. I wish it had an upper front fan blowing across the RAM but temps are surprisingly low. Much better than the chassis in the Aurora and the temps are really low. My 30L came with an i9-10805K and RTX 3080. It takes a full size card.

1 Rookie

• 

378 Posts

October 16th, 2021 01:00

Yeah I noticed that !

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 16th, 2021 03:00

Very Few views and again the PSU is not shown.  Hopefully its not proprietary.

new-aurora.jpg

6 Professor

• 

6K Posts

October 16th, 2021 11:00

The angle of the motherboard will be interesting for the AIO operation. The coolant will want to drain to the radiator, rather than flow to the water block.

Hopefully it will not create bubbles.

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

October 16th, 2021 13:00

@speedstep wrote:

Very Few views and again the PSU is not shown.  Hopefully its not proprietary.

The PSU is pictured here (bottom back of chassis).  Click on photo to enlarge.  It's bolted in place with an adapter by its side, and appears it might be a non-standard size (thin and long like a GPU). 

Picture 1, black:  wall adapter plug 

Picture 1, white:  side of PSU.  I forgot to upload the photo, but in this circled area is where there is an black presumably metal adapter shaped like a GPU support bracket with screws holding the PSU in place. 

picture 2:  GPU cable being routed to PSU  

PSU picture redesign.pngpsu cables.png

6 Professor

• 

5.3K Posts

October 16th, 2021 13:00

@speedstep 

Here is the photo of the PSU support bracket.  There are 2 screws holding the PSU in place. 

support.png

No Events found!