Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 22nd, 2018 15:00

Upgrading my Aurora R7 HDD

Hey guys.

Excited to be here.  First Alienware purchase.  Aurora R7.  Has 256 M/2 PCIe SSD + 1TB SATA HDD.  I purchased a Seagate Iron Wolf 12tb internal HDD (on sale during Amazon Day).  Before I open up my machine, I wanted to confirm compatibility with the system.  Also is there only one 3.5" HDD bay in the R7?  Thank you in advance,

Dr_Moose

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 22nd, 2018 16:00

Welcome to the forum. Yes, I like my loaded Aurora-R6 (last years similar model).

I'm pretty sure you are the first here to try a 12tb spinning HDD. My advice is to Initialize as GPT, and format as NTFS.

Right, there is only one 3.5-inch bay, so one-or-the-other 3.5-incher will have to go somewhere else (like External USB-3.0 Enclosure with UASP). I do not recommend this users back-alley-mods, but there is still some good info here:

https://dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R6-Storage-Expansion/m-p/6104947

6 Posts

July 22nd, 2018 16:00

Thank you for the prompt reply.  Really appreciate it.  Will give it a shot and see how it goes.

August 6th, 2018 17:00

@Dr_Moose wrote:

Thank you for the prompt reply.  Really appreciate it.  Will give it a shot and see how it goes.

Any updates? I also bought the 12tb Ironwolf and attempted to install today. No matter what I did, could not see hdd in bios or windows. Checked drive in other win 7 machine no problems. When I called support, was told I could not use a 12tb drive. If no other options exist, I will settle for USB enclosure. Hopefully someone has made it farther then I did...

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 7th, 2018 09:00

@Mycouchpullsoutbutidont wrote:

1. I also bought the 12tb Ironwolf and attempted to install today. No matter what I did, could not see hdd in bios or windows.

2. Checked drive in other win 7 machine no problems.

1. Strange. Seems like it would at least appear, even if it's reporting the wrong size.

2. Good trouble-shooting.

Try doing a DiskPart Clean, and THEN move it to the Alienware.

Hope you got a good one. Some of the reviews I came across are pretty bad. I think I will stick to HGST drives for my Synology NASes. 

August 11th, 2018 13:00

Did it work? I want to do the same thing!

6 Posts

August 12th, 2018 11:00

UPDATE - Installed without any issues.

Removed old drive.  Placed it in external enclosure.  Put in new drive.  Went to drive management.  Set up drive as GTP.  Recognized and working beautifully.  No issues.

6 Posts

August 12th, 2018 11:00

See my response above

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 16th, 2018 10:00

Hi @Tesla1856,

1. I did Disk Part Clean

2. and shows unallocated in (other machine's) Win7.

3. I tried installing in Aurora-R7 and still a no go.

4. Nothing in Bios or Disk Mgmt.

5. So it looks true that there is indeed an internal limit in bios that will not recognize this 12tb drive unless someone can show otherwise. I was hoping to avoid another external enclosure but that seems like the only option.

6. Any enclosure recommendations for best performance/reliability?

1. Perfect

2. Good trouble-shooting. :Yes:

3. Did you DiskPart Clean it again first?

4. So weird. Maybe the limit is 8tb ?

5. Appears so.

6. My Orico (USB-3 / UASP) unit seem to work fine. You will have to read reviews or ask them directly if it will do 12tb. Maybe they make a slightly newer 12tb-compatible/tested model ?

August 16th, 2018 10:00

Edited so no bad info. Any enclosure recommendations for best performance/reliability?

August 16th, 2018 11:00

20180816_141036.jpg

Update-Ok I win dumbass of the day award. Seems that sata plug under video card came unplugged. So internally 12tb Ironwolf, Samsung Pro 960 OS drive, external usb 3.0 4x4tb in raid5 Plex server. Seems to be good for now, will update if any issues. Thanks for quick reply! @Tesla1856

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 16th, 2018 11:00

1. Update-Ok I win dumbass of the day award.

2. Seems that sata plug under video card came unplugged.

3. So, internally 12tb Seagate Ironwolf (WORKS !!!), Samsung Pro 960 OS drive,

4. external usb 3.0 4x4tb in raid5 Plex server. Seems to be good for now, will update if any issues.

5. Thanks for quick reply! @Tesla1856

1. Agreed. :Smile:

2. But since you admitted it, you have redeemed yourself.  :Smile: Here, have a beer buddy :Beer:

3. Excellent. Thanks for the report/post.

4. Nice. Yeah, I run a 16tb Synology RAID-5 NAS . I hit it with Kodi and Plex.

5. You bet. Please drive thru. 

No Events found!