Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 22nd, 2018 12:00

X51 R2, BIOS A12 causes reboot problem, re-enable secure boot

Hi everyone, 

I just got back from a holiday and saw that I should update my X51 R2 to BIOS12. Update completed and was asked to reboot but upon doing so, screen says "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". I tried using my CD for operating system microsoft 8.1 but that leads to a frozen black screen. The boot mode is on legacy and 1st boot is my hard disk. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated  

4 Posts

January 24th, 2018 14:00

it appears that the BIOS update switched off secure boot.

when I enabled secure boot, my system came up without any problems.

while it puzzles me that the BIOS update would change settings such that my system would no longer boot, I'm glad I figured things out and got my system working again.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 25th, 2018 10:00

Hi,

We are having some users reporting no boot issues after bios update specially Auroras R5, R6, R7 and X51 R3.

These are the steps to resolve: 

1. Go to BIOS F2
  2. Go to ADVANCE tab and change sata mode to RAID
  3. Go to BOOT tab and change  boot list option to UEFI
  4. Enabled secure boot 

Some users might need to try different combinations in the BIOS but normally RAID and UEFI should be the ones selected.

@CaptianMcCool enter the BIOS, go to System setup options—Boot menu, then Boot Option Priorities and make sure Windows Boot Manager is the Boot Option #1. Finally press F10 to Save changes. 

Also, for a Windows 8.1/10 Installations, the Boot Mode should be UEFI and Secure Boot should be Enabled. Legacy ROMs should be Disabled.

4 Posts

January 23rd, 2018 12:00

Seeing the same problem on Windows 10 after updating my X51 R2 to BIOS A12.

have been messing about with boot options and no luck getting the system to recognize the existing windows installation.

Anyone have pointers or ideas for fixing this?

January 23rd, 2018 17:00

I had this problem too, very frustrating. After trying a ton of things I found a fix.  Pres F12 on the Alienware screen and then under UEFI Boot select Windows Boot Manager.  That works for me, but I have to do that every time.  I'm still looking for a way to make that my default boot selection.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 24th, 2018 09:00

For a Windows 8.1/10 Installation the Boot Mode should be UEFI and Secure Boot Should be Enabled. Legacy ROMs should be Disabled.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 24th, 2018 16:00

Great, glad you managed to fix it.

Sometimes BIOS updates revert the BIOS to default settings... If more of these models were sold with Windows 7 than Windows 8 this may have been the default settings.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 25th, 2018 07:00

In the BIOS -Boot, did you have to first change "Secure Boot Control" to Enabled, then change "Secure Boot" to Enabled?

Capture.JPG

3 Posts

January 25th, 2018 08:00

This worked for me too Thank you!!!

3 Posts

@DELL-Chris M i do not have secure boot as an option like in your image. I changed from legacy to UEFI and then enabled Secure Boot Control and that fixed the problem! 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

So the BIOS update changed it from UEFI to Legacy? That's odd. Going forward, before doing a BIOS update, all users should copy their current BIOS settings.

1 Message

June 30th, 2020 13:00

How can I re-enable secure boot? I only have black screen.

No Events found!