Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

3 Posts

November 18th, 2018 14:00

X51-R3, BIOS 1.2.13 killed PC

Hello,

I've an X51R3, was running perfect this morning, support assist our up with a BIOS update.

Currently running BIOS 1.2.12, updating to BIOS 1.2.13.

Computer went to reboot to finish installation, never came back on. Now the computer will not boot. The power button illuminates momentarily, then goes out. Nothing else powers, no mouse or keyboard illumination. No case illumination.

BIOS recovery doesn't come up, appears it's too old for the Ctrl + Esc auto recovery.

Dell support said for 400$ and 3 weeks they'll take a look at it.

9 Posts

November 19th, 2018 10:00

Same thing happened to a friend with an aurora. He had to have the motherboard replaced. What he did was extend the warranty which was cheaper then replacing the board.

3 Posts

November 19th, 2018 11:00

Only issue is my warranty ended over a year ago, don't think I can extend it once it's over.

Lovely that it had no issues, then I do an update from Dell, recommended by Dell, downloaded directly from Dell, and it destroys my motherboard.

9 Posts

November 19th, 2018 12:00

Yeah definitely **bleep**. I would absolutely press the issue and see if they will compromise on extending the warranty.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 21st, 2018 14:00

3 Posts

November 21st, 2018 17:00

Well after dealing with Dell as much as I have recently, this is entirely unsurprising. 

Enough though it's pushed continuously as a required or recommended update, and it is also known to destroy motherboards, Dell won't do anything in any way to help you.

No Events found!