Highlighted
mike_art03a
1 Nickel

17 R3 - Audio Glitching Out... 3 week old laptop.

Howdy folks,

Looks like I'm having some audio issues with my 17 R3... just bought this thing 3 weeks ago and I haven't been able to figure out what's causing the issue. The audio starts crackling/popping after a bit. Both internal speakers and externally connected audio devices exhibit the issue (despite the diagnostics saying the audio chip 'passes'). I've gone throught the usual Troubleshooting steps (former IT tech) and I have yet to contact Dell...

Steps taken:

• Remove audio driver completely - Let windows reinstall it, no dice.
  • User older driver - same issue.
  • Clean OS reinstall - issue still present.

So yeah... I'm guessing I have a dud here. Anyone else have any ideas? I'm quite disappointed at the moment as this is my first Alienware purchase. But my 2nd one from Dell (First was an old Studio 1537).

Otherwise, guess I better make use of the 'premium' support that I paid for...

Michael Artelle

- Former Gov IT Tech, Server Jockey, 'The Computer Guy'

0 Kudos
3 Replies

RE: 17 R3 - Audio Glitching Out... 3 week old laptop.

Hello,

You can try removing and reinstalling the audio driver, but instead of letting Windows reload it, you can install it from our website.

Also, you can reinstall the whole Nvidia package to make sure is not a problem with the audio driver. Make sure that the package is completely removed (Programs and features, Registry files, C drive). You can use Revo uninstaller. Once it’s removed, download the latest driver package from the NVIDIA website.

Finally, you can update the system BIOS to its latest version.

This is the link for our support page to download the audio and BIOS drivers.

Alienware-Alex
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
RCWheelman
1 Nickel

I just bought my first 17 r3. Do I have to go through all this when I first take this out of the box? Replacing bios and drivers on a machine that has yet to be opened by me that also states is in production.

0 Kudos

Hi RCWheelman,

That would be just in case it had an issue, it does not need to be done when you receive it. 

Alienware-Alex
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos