darkshocker
1 Copper

4 BEEPS not ram issue ??

hey guys.. i got an m17x r3 with radeon mobility 6970 about a year and smthn ago..had the best time on it.. barely any problems except for the occasional bsod.. updated and then everything was hunky dorey..

until one day at work..i just so happened to click on the catalyst control center and boom the laptop just switched off...

tried switching it on and all igot was 4 bios beeps.. ithought oh ok.. thats a ram issue.. opened her up tried different ways of checking whether it was the ram or not... and turns out its notthe ram. bought new ram chips as an upgrade and filled all 4 dimms with 4gb kingston ram as opposed to the stock hynix korean ram and still the same 4 beeps.

so im guessing its one of two... either the graphics card is fried.. or its a psu issue... or...well i got no more ideas... i need some serious help here guys im absolutely lost. any tips or links or..anything would be really appreciated.

thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: 4 BEEPS not ram issue ??

Hi you can view what the code is about here.

Since you already tried replacing the RAM modules, the issue may rely on the motherboard, on the socket where you connect the memories to. I would try a motherboard power drain (disconnect all peripherals, power cord and battery, press and hold the power button for a minute) and then retry.

You can also try removing the CMOS battery for 20 seconds and putting it back to make the motherboard go back to the default settings.

You can also try removing the video card from the computer just to test if it works fine, also you may try using only one memory module at the time.

If after all this troubleshooting the issue persists you may require a part replaced on your computer, so please send us an e-mail to AWSocialMedia@dell.com including your service tag and phone number and we will get back to you as soon as possible, after the resolution please let us know here how it went for you.

Alienware-L_Porras
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty!
YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube
If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

0 Kudos
speedbirdco
1 Copper

Hi Luis

i've been having the same problem actually, i got an m11X-R2. i purchased a year and a half and two day  ago he show the same symptoms, (keyboard lights on, fan full power and 4 bips, i was reading some forums about it and they said to remove one dim of ram, i did and now is working perfectly, i tested both dims of 4gb and both works perfect but seems to be one of the socket of the ram doesnt work, and i read about it and some people said that is and issue of manufactured, 

i just wonder if there are something that i can do?

thanks

Juan Mora 

0 Kudos

Hi speedbirdco, if the issue is with the socket then you would need to get a motherboard replacement. In that case the best would be to contact technical support for assistance on that. If the computer is still under warranty we will be able to replace that for you. If you are located within the USA or CA, please send us an e-mail to AWSocialMedia@dell.com, if you are not within those 32 countries please contact your technical support team or e-mail us at SOS@dell.com for further assistance.

Alienware-L_Porras
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty!
YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube
If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

0 Kudos