Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 10th, 2011 18:00

A quick video demonstrating the correct cabling on an Alienware Aurora

We would like to get some feedback on how many customer systems are sent to them incorrectly routed. Also, try to describe the incorrect routing. Go here for the video.

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

3 Posts

February 14th, 2011 17:00

Mine was routed completely wrong! In fact the PCI fan was in backwards jammed into the housing. I had to fix it by bending the metal back in place with some pliers! . Not to mention I suffered from the Front Audio jack static noise. I had the guy come out from Dell support (granted he is sub contracted) and he did not know what the hell he was doing! SO I did the work for him and he probably got paid for it! NOt to mention he broke my front Bezel which I had to replace... which he probably got paid for it when I did the work.

I should have went Ibuypower.

3 Posts

February 14th, 2011 18:00

Unless you can fix it yourself I would not trust any of the dell sub contracted repair men. Ive had two guys and both of them did not know anything. Thank god I am a auto technician and am good with tools. But yes the noise was fixed after the 2nd time replacing the part. The first time they sent out the front audio I/O board they sent me the wrong one (the same one, same problem) not until this recent time was it the right one.

76 Posts

February 14th, 2011 18:00

Mine was routed completely wrong! In fact the PCI fan was in backwards jammed into the housing. I had to fix it by bending the metal back in place with some pliers! . Not to mention I suffered from the Front Audio jack static noise. I had the guy come out from Dell support (granted he is sub contracted) and he did not know what the hell he was doing! SO I did the work for him and he probably got paid for it! NOt to mention he broke my front Bezel which I had to replace... which he probably got paid for it when I did the work.

I should have went Ibuypower.

Is your front audio jack noise fixed now? I have yet to schedule an appointment as last I heard systems were still experiencing problems after the fix. It did not seem worth the hassle as the last guy to fix something on this computer spent 2 hours just trying to get inside the machine.

February 19th, 2011 13:00

It was not an Aurora, but I received an Area 51 ALX from Alienware  that was wired incorrectly. They did not have the 12v rails distributed properly to the 5970's and I re cabled it correctly myself. Real professional work going on there in the factory I see. I returned the system ASAP with that being one of the major motivators.

76 Posts

February 21st, 2011 18:00

Unless you can fix it yourself I would not trust any of the dell sub contracted repair men. Ive had two guys and both of them did not know anything. Thank god I am a auto technician and am good with tools. But yes the noise was fixed after the 2nd time replacing the part. The first time they sent out the front audio I/O board they sent me the wrong one (the same one, same problem) not until this recent time was it the right one.

How did you know that they sent you the same one? The Tech left today after replacing mine and I still have the same problem. Both parts looked identical. How does the new one differ from the old? Did you wire your differently then the old one?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 21st, 2011 22:00

Did you wire your differently then the old one?

Poor analog audio is a common problem with all computers.

Try removing the Front Audio cable from the Main Black Plastic Wire Manager to get it away from whatever is causing the interference.

If it still does it, install a ferrite ring on the cable.

Consider upgrading, and start using the digital audio ports. There are some in the back, and they also make tiny USB sound cards and USB headphones. The advantage is that the sound stays digital until it gets outside the computer case.

No Events found!