Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 17th, 2009 20:00

A06 Aurora/Area-51 Command Center

* Go here to download it
* Once installed, restart the PC
* Post your testing results in this thread

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

9 Posts

January 20th, 2010 16:00

The problem you're experiencing  is documented at Dell and they're working on it according to the Alienware Tech Support team in Costa Rica.  I spoke with them twice about this.  There's a Windows 7 x64 driver compatibility problem with the Command Center software and the I/O board where comms are periodically lost after restarts or coming out of sleep mode.  On my Area-51 this occurs several times a week and when it does I show an "Unknown Device" in Device Manager for the I/O board (USB).

The fix is to uninstall Command Center, reboot, reinstall Command Center (version from Dell Support, not Resource CD), shutdown PC and remove power chord for 30 seconds, restart and the system is restored to normal function.  You'll note there is no longer an "Unknown Device" in Device Manager.  This stays stable for a while but after a day or so the I/O Board (USB) will end up getting lost when coming out of sleep or restarting and I have to go through the uninstall/reinstall scenario again.  A real pain, but Dell are supposedly working on a fix.

For Chris M - can you confirm a fix is indeed in the works?

Chris and All:

I recognize my Command Center problem was not the same as the predominant issue discussed in this thread, but FWIW, the new CC version seems to have cured my problem.  Since installing the update I re-enable Sleep Mode and have cycled in/out at least 10 times without the dreaded "Unknown USB Device" showing up in Device Manager.  All is operating smoothly with no Command Center problems at all.  Lighting and fans are all working as advertised.

I would like to see, however, that a feature be added to automatically close the louvers when in sleep mode (or during shutdown) to help keep dust out while the box is not in use.  Has this been suggested officially with Dell Engineering?

Unfortunately, my problem has returned. :(  Several times a week the PC will wake from sleep and I'll have the dreaded "Unknown USB Device" message in the System Tray.  Only way to fix this is to do the uninstall/reinstall drill with Command Center.

So... still waiting on a version of CC that corrects the problem.  If I disable "Sleep" everything works flawlessly, which is how I'm leaving the system now.  Would love to see a fix soon so I can get back to enabling sleep mode.

It is highly unlikely a new version of CC will fix the problem it looks like a hardware issue is causing the earlier Alienware computers to do strange things. Like i said i've just received my replacment Area 51 and it works perfectly. When i shut it down even the louvres close, on my first Area 51 the louvres would stay open even when the computer was shut down.

44 Posts

January 20th, 2010 17:00

Perhaps I did not make myself clear enough but what I am asking for is the Version numbers for the Control Center software on your system and the Bios version number of your system.

Roy Berger

44 Posts

January 20th, 2010 18:00

In todays meeting she said they are still working through some issues.

Have you read this input from DAZ7? It has me thinking that I should return my system. What do you think?

"I just received my replacement Area 51 ALX and the fans and lights work pefectly. When i power on the computer all the lights come on and fans stay quiet and run at normal speeds, not at full speed like before. Also when i shut down the computer all the lights go off including the lights on the front unlike before where the front lights would stay on even when the computer is switched off.

So as there have been no new software updates it means it must have been faulty hardware which was causing the fan and light problem with my first Area 51. The problem obviously isn't the command center so people that are experiencing the fan and lights problem should either replace their computers or call an engineer out because it looks like it's a hardware fault with the computer not a software problem with the command center. So don't bother waiting for an update for the command center because that isn't going to fix your problem."

49 Posts

January 20th, 2010 19:00

Hey Guys,

I know Chris and team are working on a resolution for this problem but unfortunately we are not getting updates we need on this.

Hats off to DAZ7 who got a replacement area-51 system that works.

I also had a replacement system about a month ago but it still had the same issue. It makes me wonder if maybe there's a fault in an actual hardware connection between the motherboard and the MIO board. It sounds like some systems that are manufacturered work while others dont. Or it could be a faulty line of MIO boards?

I'm actually quite upset that we don't have an answer yet from the Alienware team on whether or not this problem could be fixed with an update or patch or whether or not we have to keep replacing systems and hoping for the best.

Chris can you please provide any more detail other than "the team is working on it" I've had this issue since I've received my computer back in October of last year and its unfortunate to have a system of this caliber and to still not have this problem be resolved.

Thank you,

kiax0001

2 Posts

January 21st, 2010 05:00

Good Luck to anybody that can get a replacement system.

Two weeks ago they (alienware) agreed that due to the trouble we had with the local TECH and the same issues that everybody else is having that they would replace the system. Alas, I have yet to get it. Everytime I call they tell me that it case is still being reviewed.

A 6k investment should not be this much trouble.

Tony

44 Posts

January 21st, 2010 12:00

I just got off the phone with Dell and made arrangements to get my Area 51 system replaced.

Hopefully I will have the same luck as daz7.

BTW, an odd thing was that when I mentioned to the Dell Representative about the discussions in this forum he said that Dell personel were not allowed to participate in these forums that it is against Dell's policies! H'mmmmmm either he is wrong or there is something funny going on here!

29 Posts

January 21st, 2010 12:00

I just got off the phone with Dell and made arrangements to get my Area 51 system replaced.

Hopefully I will have the same luck as daze.

BTW, an odd thing was that when I mentioned to the Dell Representative about the discussions in this forum he said that Dell personnel were not allowed to participate in these forums that it is against Dell's policies! Homomorphism either he is wrong or there is something funny going on here!

Good luck, I hope you get it replaced with a fully functional one. As much as I would like command center to work properly I'm reluctant to call and send mine back and wait on another one. A real pain too, since I've migrated all my stuff over from my old PC. I guess I'll take my chances on a software fix that might happen. If it tuns out to be a hardware problem there is no way some incompetent repair dude is going to touch it at my home and maybe mess something else up.

5 Posts

January 21st, 2010 14:00

I also do not want to send back my system as long as there are not more positive results. Also, I would prefer to get a replacement for the defective part of the system instead of having to exchange the whole system, as I also spent a lot of time migrating my old system to the Alienware.

44 Posts

January 21st, 2010 15:00

I had the same thoughts however I felt it was important to make my decision before the 21 day period

Hopefully I will have the same luck as daze.

BTW, an odd thing was that when I mentioned to the Dell Representative about the discussions in this forum he said that Dell personnel were not allowed to participate in these forums that it is against Dell's policies! Homomorphism either he is wrong or there is something funny going on here!

Good luck, I hope you get it replaced with a fully functional one. As much as I would like command center to work properly I'm reluctant to call and send mine back and wait on another one. A real pain too, since I've migrated all my stuff over from my old PC. I guess I'll take my chances on a software fix that might happen. If it tuns out to be a hardware problem there is no way some incompetent repair dude is going to touch it at my home and maybe mess something else up.

had ended. After the 21 days you have to pay a restocking fee which can be as much as 15% which amounts to $600 on my $4000 purchase. I didn't want to take any chances.

The Dell customer service representative I talked to was very curtious and helpful. I will be given another 21 day period after the new unit arrives and if it does not work I can send it back for a full refund, no questions asked. I have that reps extension number so that I don't have to go through the frustration of going around in circles and waiting in queys tring to find someone to help.

Roy Berger

49 Posts

January 22nd, 2010 07:00

Chris,

I hate to keep bugging you about this but it seems that you and your team are the only ones aware of this situation.

Can you please provide more updated detailed notes regarding the fix?

Specifically, is this a hardware fault that needs to be replaced or is this something that can be fixed through an updated patch?

I'm sure as your aware alot of us are awaiting your response and since Daz's replacement response it seems like many people are already calling in for a replacement system. Please update the rest of us as soon as possible to avoid a bunch of replacement orders.

Thanks,

kiax

2.4K Posts

January 22nd, 2010 15:00

I have the same issue. My Area 51 came laste week and it has never,not once shut off the front panel lights or closed the vents upon shutdown. I must pull the power for 30sec just to get the front panel lights to go out. I get the 100% fan speed upon boot just like you guys do if I do not pull the power plug. I must do a restart several times to get the lights to come on and fans to run like they should. Also my right side panel light will flicker to another color ( If I got it to come on) once every 3-4 min. 

I have gone and installed all versions of command center and I have reset the master control board. I truly believe this is a software issue and not hardware. Going thru the versions of command center it is very clear the program was just slapped together and never really tested or improved. The thing is a beta at best.

And btw I used to own a XPS 730/730X and this is almost the EXACT same issue they had with the 730. It would run the fan at 100% and lights would fail. They had to release a BIOS fix for it and a patch. My guess is this thing is using the same master control board and the issue is here again because someone didn't remember the board had issues from the 730 fiasco.

So untill they release a new BIOS we are stuck with the AlienFX lemon.

9 Posts

January 22nd, 2010 16:00

Like i said before it looks very likely this is a hardware issue not a software issue because my replacement Area 51 works perfectly and i don't have a new BIOS version or a new command centre version, my computer has the same versions that are available on the Dell support web site. The lights and fans on my replacement Area 51 work perfectly and the vents even close when the computer shuts down like they are supposed to.

So therefore a new BIOS version will not fix the Area 51 problems since it looks very likely that is a hardware issue, so i would recommend getting a replacement computer like i did or get an engineer in to replace the faulty parts because it looks like Dell/Alienware have sorted out the problems now.

44 Posts

January 22nd, 2010 17:00

The bios version on the support / downloads page is an update compared to what my system shipped with. The Command Center software and Alien Effects software are newer versions than what my system shipped with. The software is easy to update, the BIOS somwhat more complicated because I don't have a floppy disk nor a USB memory key that can be made bootable nor software for the DVD to make it bootable.

In any case the arrangements have been made to return the computer so I hope I have the same results as you.

Roy Berger

44 Posts

January 22nd, 2010 18:00

After installation of the comman center sofware I was able to get the lights to go out and stay out by simply applying the "go dark" option,

To get the fans to go to the expected slower speed I only have to do a warm boot ( restart )

To get the vents to close I selected the top option (can't remember the option name ) and changed the value from 50% to 0%. This is my present work around until the new unit arrives.

Roy Berger

6 Posts

January 23rd, 2010 05:00

Hello Again,

just a short update regarding my Aurora ALX:

• After updating the command center to the actual version, the fan boost/lighting problems on a cold start-up seem to have disappeard (starting up normal since one week). Thumbs up for this issue!
  • The venting flaps still behave "strange" in the automatic mode, so i keep them closed by the manual options like Roy is doing it.

I am not aware of the hardware/case differences of the Area51 to the Aurora ALX, but for my PC it looks really like it was/is a software problem.

For now i will stick with the flaps in manual mode and wait for the next command center update.

Hopefully the Area 51 users will get their problems solved soon also.

Best regards,

Christian

No Events found!