Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 17th, 2009 20:00

A06 Aurora/Area-51 Command Center

* Go here to download it
* Once installed, restart the PC
* Post your testing results in this thread

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

3 Posts

February 3rd, 2010 15:00

My system: Aurora ALX

CC version: upgraded to A06

Problem: Venting doesn't close with shutdown, when shutting down the PC, thermalFX (?) is "forced" to shut down and does so.

All lights, fans and sensors are working properly and ok.

The only gripe with my PC is the venting options are still not 100%

2.4K Posts

February 3rd, 2010 21:00

Another thing about this is the sensors are not showing to correct temps. I use 3 other Temp monitors and all 3 show the same temp while Command Center shows 23-26C all the time. That is less then half of what other programs show as my temp.

23 Posts

February 3rd, 2010 21:00

I did the upgrade and from what I've noticed things have only gotten worse. I think I had a system that worked fine, but I figured I should update. Now the vents stay open after shut down, any game I play causes the fan to go into full power (which is disgustingly loud), and sometimes when my computer is idle the fans will randomly roar for a minute then go quiet.

AAAGGGHH! :)

4 Posts

February 3rd, 2010 22:00

I hear ya on the FAN NOISE!!

As reported previously, I had my AREA 51 delivered in early December 2009 and soon encountered the unknown USB device problem followed by the system fan running on high (very loud).  Also had sporadic issues with lights not shutting off or vents not closing on power down. What I failed to accurately report previously was that at some point prior to A06 release, the unknown USB device issue went away and the light and vents issues were corrected...at least for now. 

However, A06 did not correct the System fan running on high (loud) with System fan sensor reporting 0 RPM!  I can occasionally get a System Fan RPM reading by switching between manual and auto. However, that is only briefly (a second or two) before it reverts back to 0 RPM.   That darn system (radiator) fan was so loud I finally disconnected it!  Will just have to monitor the heat output and keep vents open on full until this gets corrected.  I hope those senors are accurate, but reading the other posts I am not so sure!

I apologize if my previous post was a bit misleading but it was not wholly inaccurate since A06 did not truly correct the lights or vent issues (fixed earlier), or fan issues (still ongoing).  I was quite frustrated by all of this at that time and remain so today.  Obviously for several of us things are no better.  Chris, are the techs at Dell still working on this??

February 4th, 2010 06:00

The last Command Centre upgrade seemed to have my thermal control and FX problems fixed until the computer came out of sleep last weekend and the lights were out.  I saw the A06 release was available and installed it.  Now my vents are open all the time (including shutdown), there are no lights and I get the "USB malfunctioning" notice when I reboot.  I've removed/reinstalled the A06 several times and now I have a $7,000 box that roars with the vents open all the time and zero lighting effects (on an Area 51-ALX).

The computer is otherwise flawless but it looks like a giant black brick and sounds like a 737 at takeoff speed.

Brutal.

25 Posts

February 4th, 2010 07:00

I am a fairly new Aurora user.  I've only had my Aurora for a few weeks now.  Overall the machine is great although I have had a couple of config issues to deal with.

Regarding Command Center - mine seems to be working fine, although I don't pay too much attention to it.  Temps always read in the low 20's and I am suspect about that.  I know it's not the best situation, but I have my Aurora not too far away from a AC/heating vent.  It is winter in Boise right now so my heater is running.  I do notice all temps increase to about 28 when the heater runs.  So this seems to indicate the sensors are working and perhaps even accurate.

The only real issue I have with Command Center is that every time I start the Zune software, it toggles the AlienFX on or off.  If I start Zune, AlienFX reports that it is shutting down.  If I close and restart the Zune software AlienFX reports that it is starting.  And so on, and so on...

Does anybody know how to control this behavior.  I haven't set up any custom triggers for AlienFX.

44 Posts

February 4th, 2010 10:00

I did the upgrade and from what I've noticed things have only gotten worse. I think I had a system that worked fine, but I figured I should update. Now the vents stay open after shut down, any game I play causes the fan to go into full power (which is disgustingly loud), and sometimes when my computer is idle the fans will randomly roar for a minute then go quiet.

AAAGGGHH! :)

I recommend that you uninstall the command center software and do a clean install of the A06.

Roy Berger

42 Posts

February 4th, 2010 11:00

Same problem, but it also happens with green. I also have another problem that sometimes the side panels stay dark. When I put the system in standby or reboot it the side panels lid again. Changing settings in CC doesn't resolve it.

5 Posts

February 4th, 2010 13:00

Hi guys,

I just got a new Alienware Area-51 system around the middle of January that had these exact same problems (shut it down, front lights stayed on, and then AlienFX & vents wouldn't work at all when I turned it on the next day).  Ordered a replacement system through Dell and am waiting for it to show up (wish I would have found this forum sooner rather than spend 2 hours on the phone with support wanting me to pull out and reset my CMOS battery). 

Crossing my fingers and praying the new system I get doesn't have any issues, but it looks like (from what I'm seeing here), it's not a safe bet.  =( 

44 Posts

February 4th, 2010 19:00

All,

I just started wondering one thing:

I almost have no issues except that it once in a blue moon cycles through the various colour on the side mannel. For the rest I have the same feature that the fans open to 1/2 when starting but all other seems to work fine.

I am running the following:

• Area51; AlienFX A06; Bios A02

My feeling is that it is a combination of bios, hardware and FX that works or does not.

So for the ones not working my guess is that they run Bios A02 or an Aurora (ALX) case or Area 51 Alx Case.

I guess it would make sense to see what people run and if major, minor, minute (can live with it) problems or none:

• Area51; AlienFX A06; Bios A02; minute problems

Cheers

RF

A06 includes a firmware update that should bring your bios to A03, perhaps that is your problem

Roy Berger

19 Posts

February 4th, 2010 19:00

All,

I just started wondering one thing:

I almost have no issues except that it once in a blue moon cycles through the various colour on the side mannel. For the rest I have the same feature that the fans open to 1/2 when starting but all other seems to work fine.

I am running the following:

• Area51; AlienFX A06; Bios A02

My feeling is that it is a combination of bios, hardware and FX that works or does not.

So for the ones not working my guess is that they run Bios A02 or an Aurora (ALX) case or Area 51 Alx Case.

I guess it would make sense to see what people run and if major, minor, minute (can live with it) problems or none:

• Area51; AlienFX A06; Bios A02; minute problems

Cheers

RF

19 Posts

February 4th, 2010 20:00

A06 includes a firmware update that should bring your bios to A03, perhaps that is your problem

Roy Berger

Hi Roy,

Might be, but:

1. As said the cycling of the side light happens only once in a blue moon and I could live with it if it does not indicate an issue / cause a problem.
  2. If A06 should have upgraded the BIOS then there is a problem since it did not for me. It upgraded the firmware of the FX board but it did not upgrade the Bios.
  3. Instructions for Bios ugrade to A03 even indicate that you need a bootable device to upgrade where as A02 bios upgrade did not need a bootable device. Due to that I would say A06 should not upgrade the Bios. I have a thread out there questioneing the A03 upgrade anyway and would love to see some answers on it.

So I assume you are on A03?

I might then be that the ones with problem are on an Aurora machine.

Regards

RF

3 Posts

February 5th, 2010 03:00

Does anybody know how to stop windows7 from force closing program's? I feel this is the reason why my Aurora ALX doesn't shut it's fans on shutdown.

I have the A06 (bios firmware A04) CC installed. no other problems with my system bar the vent closing problem.

44 Posts

February 5th, 2010 09:00

Roy Berger

Hi Roy,

Might be, but:

1. As said the cycling of the side light happens only once in a blue moon and I could live with it if it does not indicate an issue / cause a problem.
  2. If A06 should have upgraded the BIOS then there is a problem since it did not for me. It upgraded the firmware of the FX board but it did not upgrade the Bios.
  3. Instructions for Bios ugrade to A03 even indicate that you need a bootable device to upgrade where as A02 bios upgrade did not need a bootable device. Due to that I would say A06 should not upgrade the Bios. I have a thread out there questioneing the A03 upgrade anyway and would love to see some answers on it.

So I assume you are on A03?

I might then be that the ones with problem are on an Aurora machine.

Regards

RF

Hi,

Yes my BIOS is A03 on my Area 51 (non ALX). I thought it was A02 before applying the A06 upgrade but I could be wrong. The vents are opening when I power up and closing when I power down, fans are working properly, I have lights set to "go dark" and they do that after Windows completes booting, the fans slow to a normal speed.

Although the command center does not fully function the way it is supposed to the way the machine works now is OK with me and I expect Dell will eventually release other fixes.

I do not know if the bios versions are the same on all of the alienware desktops or not.

Roy Berger

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 14th, 2010 14:00

This topic should be sticky!

and any update as to when this problem might be sorted it out? or still no ETA?

No Events found!