Alienware General - Read Only

Last reply by 11-16-2012 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
Community Manager

A06 Aurora/Area-51 Command Center

* Go here to download it
* Once installed, restart the PC
* Post your testing results in this thread

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session.
Find your Service Tag

Replies (221)
Anonymous
Not applicable

This topic should be sticky!

and any update as to when this problem might be sorted it out? or still no ETA?

I don't know what problems you are experiencing.

I have the A06 version of the command center software and the A03 bios update installed on my Area 51 system. The fans go to normal speeds, the vents when the system is running and close when the system is shut down, I don't bother with the lights I keep them turned of by selecting "go dark" via right click of the alien-head icon in the system tray.

Although not perfect this makes the command center function work well enough so that there is no problem waiting for the eventual fix if there ever is one.

Other than that the system works perfect.

Roy Berger

The only complaints I have left are the "active" fins and the fact that the temps and cpu fan speeds are suspect. The fins don't open with the % of any fan speed, they only work manually. The cpu pump and the cpu cooling fan speeds never change to any significant degree no matter how hard I work the computer. That doesn't make sense to me. Also, if you go into the CMOS setup, you can read the actual cpu temp which reads about 42c when resting. That does not jive with any of the zone temp readouts, so it would seem that we are not seeing the cpu temp in command center but only areas inside the case. 22 to 25 degree c is about room temp.

The only complaints I have left are the "active" fins and the fact that the temps and cpu fan speeds are suspect. The fins don't open with the % of any fan speed, they only work manually. The cpu pump and the cpu cooling fan speeds never change to any significant degree no matter how hard I work the computer. That doesn't make sense to me. Also, if you go into the CMOS setup, you can read the actual cpu temp which reads about 42c when resting. That does not jive with any of the zone temp readouts, so it would seem that we are not seeing the cpu temp in command center but only areas inside the case. 22 to 25 degree c is about room temp.

Yes, the way I see it is that the command center software is pretty much non functional and that the fixes so far simply fix some problems that were annoying.

I hope that Dell proves me wrong but I have my doubt that they will ever fix the command center so that it functions the way it is supposed to.

Roy Berger

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the A06 version of the command center software and the A03 bios update installed on my Area 51 system. The fans go to normal speeds, the vents when the system is running and close when the system is shut down, I don't bother with the lights I keep them turned of by selecting "go dark" via right click of the alien-head icon in the system tray.

Although not perfect this makes the command center function work well enough so that there is no problem waiting for the eventual fix if there ever is one.

Roy Berger

The fan is running at full speed. I'm on BIOS vA03, and ACC vA06. I have tried all the steps included in this topic but nothing worked.

I even spoke to an Alienware rep who just gave me an "Too Bad" attitude. So yeah?

Roy Berger

The fan is running at full speed. I'm on BIOS vA03, and ACC vA06. I have tried all the steps included in this topic but nothing worked.

I even spoke to an Alienware rep who just gave me an "Too Bad" attitude. So yeah?

I would return it and get my money back.

Roy

Anonymous
Not applicable

I called again, this time the tech rep went and checked for "AlienwareAlienFXTester"  and  found out that "No board detected" so he's replacing it.

I should have it replaced by this week. Hopefully that will solve the problem and I'll never put my system into "Sleep" mode. That's what caused it all.

Is there any other reason as to how it happened? Please let me know as I would like to avoid it!

If any of you have this problem with lights and fan you can goahead and do the same as me.

Run:

C:\Program Files\Alienware\Command Center\AlienwareAlienFXTester.exe

To see if yours also show "no board detected" and if lights are working.

I called again, this time the tech rep went and checked for "AlienwareAlienFXTester"  and  found out that "No board detected" so he's replacing it.

I should have it replaced by this week. Hopefully that will solve the problem and I'll never put my system into "Sleep" mode. That's what caused it all.

Is there any other reason as to how it happened? Please let me know as I would like to avoid it!

If any of you have this problem with lights and fan you can goahead and do the same as me.

Run:

The FXTester.exe works for me. Comes up with a window and shows a version number. Has buttons for checking different colors leds. You hit the button and asks you did the lights change to that color.

Run:

The FXTester.exe works for me. Comes up with a window and shows a version number. Has buttons for checking different colors leds. You hit the button and asks you did the lights change to that color.

I ran the tester and it also shows "no board detected".  What's really bothering me is that while previous versions of Command Centre had problems, I could always do the uninstall/reinstall after hard reboot/unplug the computer and I'd be back to the fans working and the colour FX up and running.  This A06 has pooched everything and all I get on reboot is a notice that WIndows has detected a problem with an unknown USB and has stopped it from functioning.  Any way to get the old release back so I can just muck around with my computer once a week rather than having it sit there with the blades wide open, the fans screaming and no colour scheme.  Please save me from "is your computer plugged in?" support hell in Mumbai!!  And please get your shite together with your halo product Dell Inc.!!

Ran the C:\Program Files\Alienware\Command Center\AlienwareAlienFXTester.exe with the following results:

Board Information:

Current Version: 1.02.04

Upgrading to       1.02.04

Firmware Upgrade  ---> Skipped

The remainder was the "Set LEDs RED"...etc...etc.  So I have the board reporting to the software and the LEDs check out fine. Again, my system is and AREA 51 (non ALX), BIOS A03, with the A06 command center. I still have the System fan running on high (very, very loud) with System fan sensor reporting 0 RPM!  I can occasionally get a System Fan RPM reading by switching between manual and auto. However, that is only briefly (a second or two) before it reverts back to 0 RPM.   Tried disconnecting the (radiator) fan but things heated up very quckly and decided to reconnect  it!  Lights and fins appear to be working fine.  All (and I do mean ALL) previous attempts to fix this that have been posted have failed to correct the system fan running at full speed issue.

I remain quite frustrated by all of this and I see that I am not alone.  Obviously phone support is of no help (judging by the other posts) nor is sending my system back for replacement.  Chris, are the techs at Dell still working on this?  How about an update?

Joe

Alienware AREA-51
CPU Core i7 960 @ 3.20GHz
Bios A07
Command Center Version 2.5.52.0 A08 (board version 1.02.04)
Windows 7 64bit
Nvidia GeForce GTX 295
Creative SB X-Fi Titanium
Wireless Logitech MX1100 Keyboard/Mouse

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor