Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 27th, 2015 23:00

ALIENWARE 17 R2 (2015) USB PORT NOT WORKING

Just got my laptop a few days ago and found out both USB ports on the left side are not working or detecting anything. The two USB ports on the right side are okay.  I checked device manager in the control panel and no yellow exclamation mark there.  So far the only thing I did is updated to the latest A04 BIOS.  I also got the latest USB 3.0 Host controller driver (Chipset_Driver_RYY2F_WN_3.0.1.41_A00.EXE) but was not able to install it. I got the message "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software".

Also tried to reimaged the hard drive to factory version through AlienRespawn but it did not help either.

Called DELL support and they will send a tech out to replace the USB board but I am just curious if there is anything else I should check for. 

• 

2.7K Posts

May 29th, 2015 08:00

Basically the troubleshooting for this issue will be to reinstall the driver and the Alienrespawn, if they are sending the replacement is because there should be a problem with the hardware.

12 Posts

August 26th, 2015 13:00

I just got mine today and having the same exact problem... this seems more than a coincidence did you get this fixed without a motherboard repair?

1 Message

September 5th, 2015 13:00

Well, they send a technician to come out and check and replace the daughter board, when he opened it up we saw that the cable that connect the usb board to the motherboard was not even connected !!!

Since he has the case opened, he decided to replace the usb board anyway.  Of course, once everything is put back, the laptop did not even turn on or POST !!!!  

So another call to DELL and they suggest the entire laptop be send back to be looked at.  The job was suppose to take no more than a few days after they received it.  But they send me an email a week later saying it was delayed because their repair depot ran out of parts required.

At that moment, I got *** off and lost it and called customer service to send me another laptop because I need one ASAP for business.  They agreed and send me another with a better specs than the one I purchased.

Good luck.

No Events found!