Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 15th, 2015 06:00

ALIENWARE M17x R4 Graphics issue GTX 675M

Hello all,

I have been using ALiENWARE since 2012 and its the best thing that I have worked on. Thank you guys for that!!

Since a month I have this graphics issue. There are a couple of things that happen. 

1. When I startup the system, after the windows logo, the screen goes black. The system is running normal. If I close and open the monitor screen, the screen turns back on. This does not happen during safe mode or when I uninstall the graphics driver.
  2. While playing any normal game for example, FRCRY 4, NFS THE RUN, METRO LLC, etc the computer freezes midway. I have to restart the whole thing again. i encounter issue number 1 as stated above again.

My configuration is

M17x R4. 3D Enabled.

GTX 675M currently running on NVIDIA driver v355.82

WIndows 7 (64-bit)

RAM - 24 GB

HD - 1 TB

Service tag #

Any assistance will be much appreciated. I do not want to see it go away.

Thanks a lot!!

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

September 15th, 2015 09:00

Hi, 

Make sure your system is running the latest Bios firmware, click here for the download link. Try reinstalling both the Intel and Nvidia drivers. You can continue to use the Nvidia driver that currently have since that is the latest version. For the Intel driver, use the version listed on the Dell support site. Let us know how it goes. 

Hello

Thanks for getting back so soon!

I will try what you asked for

before that a few other things

I checked the BIOS version. it says its designed for Windows 8.1 (64-bit). Will it work with Windows 7 (64-bit).??

Also when i tried to reinstall the INTEL driver from the resource DVD which came with the laptop, I get the error "THE SYSTEM DOES NOT MEET THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENT".

I am confused with this.

Kindly need assistance.

Regards

Ravitej

HELLO 

Thanks so much for replying.

I checked the Bios file and it says the supported system is Windows 8.1 (64-bit). Mine's a Windows 7 (64-bit).

And yes! The INTEL driver is failing to install. I am trying to install it using the resource DVD that came along with the laptop. It gives me an error "THE SYSTEM DOES NOT MEET THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENT"

I am confused. 

P.S. -- I have yet to try what you asked for @ALIENWARE-RODRIGO.

901 Posts

September 15th, 2015 10:00

Hi.

You have a 3D 120Hz LCD panel.

Intel HD graphic is not available for this screen, it relies solely on the NVidia GPU.

Try un-installing and re-installing the NVidia GPU drivers, use an older version, 344.75 is good.

Anything after 344.75 and you risk this.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/windows-10-nvidia-whql-drivers-are-killing-alienware-and-clevo-lcd-panels.779449/page-124

It says windows 10, but it's been affecting windows 7 and 8 too.

After you uninstall, restart your laptop.

When you re-install driver, select custom install and select clean install box.

If issue still persists after this download MSI after burner and check temps during gaming.

If temps are good then you may have a faulty GPU

Hey @ANDREWSI ! Thanks for the headsup!!

But where can I find these intermediate BIOS setups??

This thing is going crazy !!

Thanks

901 Posts

Also, if you do BIOS update - DO NOT SKIP ANY

If your current BIOS is A05 and new available BIOS is A12, then you must install each update in order.

DO NOT SKIP ANY - If you do you may miss a critical update

September 15th, 2015 18:00

Hello @ANDREWSI 

Thank you so much for the files.

Now it has solved the screen issue after startup. I am using v344. 75 driver. but the FARCRY 4 game still gets stuck midway. 

I monitored the temps. The high was 85deg C.

Need advice

Ravitej

901 Posts

September 16th, 2015 00:00

Is only FC4 crashing?

Are your other games OK?

If your other games are running OK try re-installing FC4.

85C is to high, you need to reduce your temps before you blow your GPU or shorten it's lifespan.

You may need to repaste the GPU diode, Artic silver 5 is the most readily available quality thermal paste available, it is a lot easier to use that the others

September 16th, 2015 06:00

Hello @ANDREWSI

Not just FC4, I tried playing Metro LLC, NFS . those games also get stuck. I had this Metal Gear Solid. I did not even try and install it. Do not want to get disappointed.

Well the laptop did complete 3 glorious years. Do you think it has done its part?

And is there a video for me as how to repaste the GPU diode.

Thanks!

You helping me a lot!

901 Posts

September 17th, 2015 01:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuMcVpUSuBA

I use a old plastic laminated card (like a old membership card) to spread the paste out evenly over the GPU so not to miss any surface.

Be sure to take anti static precautions when dismantling and working on your laptop, the smallest electrical charge (even from your body) can permanently damage your laptop and GPU

September 17th, 2015 07:00

Hello @ANDREWSI

I think i have found out a new issue on the laptop.

The laptop randomly freezes. No game running. Lets consider watching a movie. listening to a song. Even goddamn just idle.

Is it the problem related to its Hard drive?

thanks again..

901 Posts

September 17th, 2015 09:00

Do you have an old laptop you can take the hard drive out of to swap and test? That would be the easiest and quickest way to tell 100%

September 17th, 2015 09:00

Hello @ANDREWSI

Unfortunately I dont. Is there some test for the same or etc? 

The windows exp index gave a 5.9 for the Harddrive

thanks

901 Posts

September 18th, 2015 07:00

You can try seatools for windows. It's free software for Seagate HDD's but I think it works on all.

The HDD has already failed the ePSA test, if seatools comes back with fault reports time for a new HDD.

SSD's are cheap, consider it a silver lining by upgrading to a SSD.

No Events found!