Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

June 1st, 2014 16:00

ALienware 14 - Disk drive does not detect disks

Hello,

We've had this laptop almost a year now and we've yet to get the optical drive to work. It hasn't been too big an issue, but I want to get it fixed. There is no driver installed for the disk drive and that is the way it was shipped to us. I cannot seem to find the driver on the dell website. Any assistance would be appreciated. 

Service tag: Removed per TOU

Thank you,

Jon Chisholm Allen

1.8K Posts

June 3rd, 2014 10:00

Hi!

You don't need to install any driver for the optical drive. If the drive is not working properly, try following the troubleshooting steps on this video and let me know if the issue persists. 

June 23rd, 2014 15:00

Hello,

Sorry for the delay but unfortunately after following the videos advice about deleting the upper and lower registries the computer does not want to start up. It's currently running Startup repair but has been doing so going on 45 minutes. I even checked the device manage to unistall the drivers like the video said but there is no listing of the disk drive in the menu. I thought about using the restore disk to factory reset it but it won't read the disk so it's kind pointless.  I'm really hoping we can figure out what in the world is going on with this computer. 

Thank you,

Jon Allen

1.8K Posts

June 24th, 2014 16:00

Hi again,

Run an ePSA diagnostic to check for hardware errors. If nothing comes up, try accessing Windows on Safe Mode so you can do a System Restore and revert to when the problem hadn't started. 

Let me know how it goes!

No Events found!