Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 14th, 2013 05:00

ATI Radeon 7970 OC will not work in Aurora R3

My new ATI Radeon 7970 OC will not work in Aurora R3 nor in my spare Dell machine as previously posted, but does work in a third machine so problem doesn't appear to be with the card. Current card is Nvidia gtx 570. Is there a firmware upgrade that needs to be made or is this card incompatible with this machine. Do I have to use another Nvidia? It has an 875w psu so power shouldn't be the problem. Has anyone else tried the 7970 in an R3?

Thanks in anticipation

20 Posts

February 16th, 2013 17:00

I think you are right about the bios issues but it seems others have run this card on an R3. What I would like Dell to say is yes, it should run, or no it won't unless you do .....? I won't be able to return the card if not faulty, so i may try to sell it and put in another Nvidia. You said "that card is voltage locked and not worth the extra cost". What does that mean? It's annoying not to be able to get to the bottom of this. I'm happy with the Aurora otherwise. Thanks for the suggestions.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 16th, 2013 17:00

My new ATI Radeon 7970 OC will not work in Aurora R3

What happens exactly?

Nevermind, I found it (won't BIOS post).

2.4K Posts

February 16th, 2013 20:00

I think you are right about the bios issues but it seems others have run this card on an R3. What I would like Dell to say is yes, it should run, or no it won't unless you do .....? I won't be able to return the card if not faulty, so i may try to sell it and put in another Nvidia. You said "that card is voltage locked and not worth the extra cost". What does that mean? It's annoying not to be able to get to the bottom of this. I'm happy with the Aurora otherwise. Thanks for the suggestions.

Like Tesla said the card is tricked out. It used to have unlocked voltage so you could up the volts on the card to get a higher overclock but the one being sold now does not. The issue with that was it would cause more cards to fail and be returned and it costs when that happens. They have to replace the card free of charge. I know Nvidia said no more and forced distributers to stop making cards with the voltage unlocked. Can't say I blame them. 

Lets use your card as an example here. You already returned one that at best could only be resold as refurbished so AMD has lost money. I would be willing to bet that a stock card using AMD's reference design would have worked just fine. 

20 Posts

February 17th, 2013 16:00

Tesla, thanks for the response.. 875 watts, and using a 6 and 6+2 plug. Can't see any options in the machine BIOS. Why is it tricked out? It's off the shelf and sold as is, not modified by me. It's clocked at 1000 by Gigabyte, not me. I see advice given on this forum to another Aurora R3 owner "

You can use any single GPU, ATI or Nvidia, with the Aurora R3 with the 525w or 875w PSU. If you go with a dual GPU card such as the GTX 690 then you need the 875w PSU. You can even do SLI or CFX with that system so long as you have 875w PSU."

Obviously this is not correct, or is there Dell tech there that can tell me for sure this card should work, as it hasn't been modified any way from the retail package?

Without a satisfactory response from Dell I am not sure what to do next. I think this card with my machine are a lost cause perhaps?

10 Posts

March 28th, 2013 08:00

Was there any resolution in getting the card to work in the Aurora R3?

I am experiencing the exact same problem (black screen, no beeps, no post, fans running on card) with the Gigabyte 7970 GV-R797OC-3GD.  I have power through the 8 pin and 6 pin connector and have tried using separate branches off the power connector.  I've also played around with driver combinations and clean driver installs.  I also tried running  my working card with the 7970 in the other slot to see if I could boot to windows and try to see or configure the other card, but the computer wouldn't but with the 7970 installed at all.

I will have a friend check the card in his computer over the weekend, to confirm if the card is fine, but it looks like my best option going forward is just to just get a completely different card and not bother with trying a replacement.

Thanks in advance for any updates or suggestions.

20 Posts

March 28th, 2013 16:00

No, I had no success at all and no help from Dell or Gigabyte. I tried the card in a generic machine [not Dell] and it fired up no trouble. I am now running a 7950 without issues. Their is a compatibility issue with the 7970oc and Dell that no-one wants to address. If you have more success than I, I would appreciate feedback. Sorry I couldn't offer more help. I have an expensive shelf decoration that I will have to sell on and will stick to Nvidia in future. Thanks

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 29th, 2013 13:00

He is going to try to flash the latest bios from Gigabyte (F72) on it and I'll try it on my system on Monday.  

Good idea.

While incompatibility often points to the computer maker (Dell) sometimes it's the component (Gigabyte video card) that needs the update.

10 Posts

March 29th, 2013 13:00

Thanks for getting back to me.

So like your experience, the card boots up just fine on my friend's PC.  He is going to try to flash the latest bios from Gigabyte (F72) on it and I'll try it on my system on Monday.  

20 Posts

March 29th, 2013 19:00

Thanks for the info, I will be interested as to what happens. I took this up with Gigabyte and they had no suggestion other than that it was a Dell problem, but what problem they wouldn't specify.

10 Posts

April 2nd, 2013 19:00

So the the card already had the latest bios on it, so no change to try.  It looks like bolux already went down the support path with Gigabyte and Dell, so no sense in trying that again.  So looks like I'll be trying a different model 7970 or going with a 670 or 680.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 3rd, 2013 12:00

Try Legacy mode in BIOS:

en.community.dell.com/.../20338086.aspx

See if it will at least boot.

20 Posts

April 3rd, 2013 18:00

Still following this thread and would like to know how to find Legacy mode in the AO6 Bios which I am running. Thanks, Bolux

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 3rd, 2013 18:00

Still following this thread and would like to know how to find Legacy mode in the AO6 Bios which I am running. Thanks, Bolux

Isn't it ...

Boot Screen
Boot Mode = UEFI (or Legacy)

23 Posts

April 3rd, 2013 20:00

Same exact problem here with powercolor refrence 7950. I have two other card is gigabyte 7950 and works fine. Totally mainboard/bios issue. I returned the first card to powercolor thinking it's DOA. Replacement did same thing will not post period. Dell you are killing me. I paid a fortune for my R3 cause it's the most upgradable system out there right? What a joke after a year and bios is outdated. Go figure!

23 Posts

April 3rd, 2013 20:00

I went to the bios and disabled uefi and it is working now

No Events found!