Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 14th, 2013 05:00

ATI Radeon 7970 OC will not work in Aurora R3

My new ATI Radeon 7970 OC will not work in Aurora R3 nor in my spare Dell machine as previously posted, but does work in a third machine so problem doesn't appear to be with the card. Current card is Nvidia gtx 570. Is there a firmware upgrade that needs to be made or is this card incompatible with this machine. Do I have to use another Nvidia? It has an 875w psu so power shouldn't be the problem. Has anyone else tried the 7970 in an R3?

Thanks in anticipation

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 3rd, 2013 20:00

Same exact problem here with powercolor refrence 7950.

I have two.

other card is gigabyte 7950 and works fine.

Well, I was already typing this about the PowerColor not working, but Sam got it working. According to Sam and that other thread I linked to, seems it is related to UEFI (SecureBoot). Should be fine as long as you don't need to run 3tb drives.

(Bolux) Gigabyte 7970-OC #1 - No

(PerfectEvo) Gigabyte 7970-OC #2 / GV-R797OC-3GD - No

(Sam6969) Gigabyte 7950 - Yes (in UEFI Mode)

(Sam6969) PowerColor 7950 - Maybe (in BIOS Legacy Mode)

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 3rd, 2013 21:00

See this:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=370375

Try going back to UEFI, boot, turn machine off, and then back to Legacy.

Long Shot, but try turning this off:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/6320-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-8-a.html

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

And this ...

www.rage3d.com/.../showthread.php

You might have to go back to Win7-64. Still have the Dell-AW disc?

You could dual-boot, but I'm pretty sure Win7 needs to be installed first or else it gets unnecessarily tricky.

23 Posts

Well not so fast ! Not working now. I am so frustrated it powered up once and I cannot for the life of me get to work again. I am about ready to roll back to win 7 from 8 to see if this will fix it but I am really dreading this move

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 3rd, 2013 22:00

I do have blue ray image . Should I use instead of clean install? BTW thanks for your help, you are an asset to this community.

First, Image Win8 and whole drive the way it is now ... you can always put it back.

This might work ...

Partitions like 256gb, 256gb, 500gb (or rest of drive)

Bare-Metal Restore the Win7 Image to first partition.
Use EasyBCD if you have to and get that working.

Restore Win8 Image to partition 2. Get that working. If that doesn't work, might have to clean install Win8.

Also, a completely separate Plan-B:

Disconnect Win8 drive, Install a spare drive and install Win7-64 to it (or play Image Restoring games ... your choice). Win7 clean, and required drivers only takes an hour or so. See my Favorite Thread.

23 Posts

April 3rd, 2013 22:00

I do have blue ray image . Should I use instead of clean install? BTW thanks for your help, you are an asset to this community.

23 Posts

April 3rd, 2013 23:00

Unfortunately, even with new win 7 64 , powercolor refuse to post . It really hate AW motherboard! Any suggestions before I revert back to win 8?

20 Posts

April 4th, 2013 04:00

Thanks Tesla for your efforts to try and sort this. I am running win7 64. I disabled UEFI but no change. Just thought I would keep the forum up to date. Intriguing that Sam got it to work once, hasn't even flickered for me.Bolux

23 Posts

April 4th, 2013 08:00

I am starting to doubt myself  that it did work once. I had both cards in. The powercolor was on a pcie raiser for easy plug in and out purpose. I am thinking that the power connectors was not in the powercolor since I was absolutely not able to dubicate it. I mean I tried dozen times if not more with different configuration with no success.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 4th, 2013 12:00

Thanks Tesla for your efforts to try and sort this. I am running win7 64. I disabled UEFI but no change. Just thought I would keep the forum up to date. Intriguing that Sam got it to work once, hasn't even flickered for me.Bolux

I have an Aurora R1 (non-uefi).

Do you see any other related BIOS options in R3 (Secure Boot, CSM, PCIe Video) in addition to UEFI/Legacy?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 4th, 2013 12:00

I am starting to doubt myself  that it did work once. I had both cards in. The powercolor was on a pcie raiser for easy plug in and out purpose. I am thinking that the power connectors was not in the powercolor since I was absolutely not able to dubicate it.

Oh, I see. OK, I changed the listing above to a "Maybe".

Ya, for now, I would just test with one card at a time, inserted directly into motherboard slot #1 (closest to main processor chip or top).

Interesting that your Gigabyte 7950 works though ... in UEFI or Legacy Mode.

2.4K Posts

April 4th, 2013 16:00

I am starting to doubt myself  that it did work once. I had both cards in. The powercolor was on a pcie raiser for easy plug in and out purpose. I am thinking that the power connectors was not in the powercolor since I was absolutely not able to dubicate it.

Oh, I see. OK, I changed the listing above to a "Maybe".

Ya, for now, I would just test with one card at a time, inserted directly into motherboard slot #1 (closest to main processor chip or top).

Interesting that your Gigabyte 7950 works though ... in UEFI or Legacy Mode.

Last week my neighbor got a R4 with a single 680. He bought a EVGA 2gb 680. With ether or it will boot but with both...no boot. I brought it home for the night to play with it.

I could make it boot with the EVGA and one of my PNY 680. I could not make it boot with the stock 680 and my PNY.

I could make his stock 680 boot in my Area 51 with any combination of cards.

My conclusion is there are two things going on here. One is the R4 BIOS and the other is the GPU vbios. Seems you need the stars to line up just right and there will never be a sure way of knowing if a card will work until you try it.

I can confirm my 2gb PNY 680 cards had no issues in his R4. Legacy or not did not matter. These are the same cards Dell sells. Coincidence?

Don't know if this helps or not but I figured I would post it anyway.

23 Posts

April 4th, 2013 18:00

I had previously MSI  Non-refrence 7950 and it worked fine on r3. In fact this is the first refrence card that I had sine I upgraded fro 6950cf last November. At this point and without Dell new bios support, I just don't see a way to have this powercolor 7950 work in my AW R3. I will be waiting for few more day before I give up and return the card for the second time!

20 Posts

April 4th, 2013 19:00

Sam, I also am running a borrowed 7950 without issues. Bolux

23 Posts

April 4th, 2013 20:00

Is it the single middle fan or double fans? Wow that is just something ! MSI and gigabyte 7950s worked on my R3 but powercolor won't ..I just cannot solve this one. Thanks Bolux. I hope somebody can chip in with insight as to what is going on!

No Events found!