bolux
2 Bronze

Re: Gigabyte 7970oc in Aurora R3

Thanks for the reply. I think you must be right. I will try one last time today and strip out everything from the machine and see if I can isolate anything.

0 Kudos
bolux
2 Bronze

Thanks, I have tried that, no difference.

0 Kudos
AAA737flyer
4 Germanium

AAA737flyer,

Are you thinking the Radeon HD 7970 OC 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 is backward compatible to our PCI-Express 2.0 slot?

I am under the impression 3.0 is bw compatable to 2.0. May be some set-up issue when installing drivers. Might need to clean out old drivers first etc.

0 Kudos
bolux
2 Bronze

Yes, I have done that. Thanks for the suggestion though.

0 Kudos
morblore
5 Rhenium

Yes, I have done that. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Sounds like a BIOS issue ether on the card or the computer. If it was me I would return the card and buy another brand or even a different model. That card is voltage locked now so it's not worth the extra cost.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Area-51 Cosmic Black/Windows 8 64-bit Pro/BIOS A11
Intel Core i7-980x Extreme Edition @ 4.0 ghz/Intel 160gb X-25M SSD Raid-0
6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 DDR3/PNY GeForce GTX 680 SLI/ATI TV Wonder

0 Kudos
bolux
2 Bronze

I think you are right about the bios issues but it seems others have run this card on an R3. What I would like Dell to say is yes, it should run, or no it won't unless you do .....? I won't be able to return the card if not faulty, so i may try to sell it and put in another Nvidia. You said "that card is voltage locked and not worth the extra cost". What does that mean? It's annoying not to be able to get to the bottom of this. I'm happy with the Aurora otherwise. Thanks for the suggestions.

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Re: ATI Radeon 7970 OC will not work in Aurora R3

My new ATI Radeon 7970 OC will not work in Aurora R3

What happens exactly?

Nevermind, I found it (won't BIOS post).

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

My new ATI Radeon 7970 OC will not work in Aurora R3 nor in my spare

... Has anyone else tried the 7970 in an R3?

But it's not really a stock 7970 ... it's tricked out.

Over the years, people have reported various cards not working on the Aurora (and Area-51 I believe). Often, they are OC cards. I remember one was a super-edition nVidia 590-OC that took up 3 slots.

Do you see any options in the BIOS?

Are you sure the machine has the 875w PS installed?

What power supply plugs are you using?

Did you try both slots? (with nothing in the other set)

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
morblore
5 Rhenium

I think you are right about the bios issues but it seems others have run this card on an R3. What I would like Dell to say is yes, it should run, or no it won't unless you do .....? I won't be able to return the card if not faulty, so i may try to sell it and put in another Nvidia. You said "that card is voltage locked and not worth the extra cost". What does that mean? It's annoying not to be able to get to the bottom of this. I'm happy with the Aurora otherwise. Thanks for the suggestions.

Like Tesla said the card is tricked out. It used to have unlocked voltage so you could up the volts on the card to get a higher overclock but the one being sold now does not. The issue with that was it would cause more cards to fail and be returned and it costs when that happens. They have to replace the card free of charge. I know Nvidia said no more and forced distributers to stop making cards with the voltage unlocked. Can't say I blame them. 

Lets use your card as an example here. You already returned one that at best could only be resold as refurbished so AMD has lost money. I would be willing to bet that a stock card using AMD's reference design would have worked just fine. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Area-51 Cosmic Black/Windows 8 64-bit Pro/BIOS A11
Intel Core i7-980x Extreme Edition @ 4.0 ghz/Intel 160gb X-25M SSD Raid-0
6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 DDR3/PNY GeForce GTX 680 SLI/ATI TV Wonder

0 Kudos
bolux
2 Bronze

Tesla, thanks for the response.. 875 watts, and using a 6 and 6+2 plug. Can't see any options in the machine BIOS. Why is it tricked out? It's off the shelf and sold as is, not modified by me. It's clocked at 1000 by Gigabyte, not me. I see advice given on this forum to another Aurora R3 owner "

You can use any single GPU, ATI or Nvidia, with the Aurora R3 with the 525w or 875w PSU. If you go with a dual GPU card such as the GTX 690 then you need the 875w PSU. You can even do SLI or CFX with that system so long as you have 875w PSU."

Obviously this is not correct, or is there Dell tech there that can tell me for sure this card should work, as it hasn't been modified any way from the retail package?

Without a satisfactory response from Dell I am not sure what to do next. I think this card with my machine are a lost cause perhaps?

0 Kudos