PerfectEvo
1 Nickel

Re: Gigabyte 7970oc in Aurora R3

Was there any resolution in getting the card to work in the Aurora R3?

I am experiencing the exact same problem (black screen, no beeps, no post, fans running on card) with the Gigabyte 7970 GV-R797OC-3GD.  I have power through the 8 pin and 6 pin connector and have tried using separate branches off the power connector.  I've also played around with driver combinations and clean driver installs.  I also tried running  my working card with the 7970 in the other slot to see if I could boot to windows and try to see or configure the other card, but the computer wouldn't but with the 7970 installed at all.

I will have a friend check the card in his computer over the weekend, to confirm if the card is fine, but it looks like my best option going forward is just to just get a completely different card and not bother with trying a replacement.

Thanks in advance for any updates or suggestions.

0 Kudos
bolux
2 Bronze

No, I had no success at all and no help from Dell or Gigabyte. I tried the card in a generic machine [not Dell] and it fired up no trouble. I am now running a 7950 without issues. Their is a compatibility issue with the 7970oc and Dell that no-one wants to address. If you have more success than I, I would appreciate feedback. Sorry I couldn't offer more help. I have an expensive shelf decoration that I will have to sell on and will stick to Nvidia in future. Thanks

0 Kudos
PerfectEvo
1 Nickel

Thanks for getting back to me.

So like your experience, the card boots up just fine on my friend's PC.  He is going to try to flash the latest bios from Gigabyte (F72) on it and I'll try it on my system on Monday.  

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

He is going to try to flash the latest bios from Gigabyte (F72) on it and I'll try it on my system on Monday.  

Good idea.

While incompatibility often points to the computer maker (Dell) sometimes it's the component (Gigabyte video card) that needs the update.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
bolux
2 Bronze

Thanks for the info, I will be interested as to what happens. I took this up with Gigabyte and they had no suggestion other than that it was a Dell problem, but what problem they wouldn't specify.

0 Kudos
PerfectEvo
1 Nickel

So the the card already had the latest bios on it, so no change to try.  It looks like bolux already went down the support path with Gigabyte and Dell, so no sense in trying that again.  So looks like I'll be trying a different model 7970 or going with a 670 or 680.

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Try Legacy mode in BIOS:

en.community.dell.com/.../20338086.aspx

See if it will at least boot.

- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
bolux
2 Bronze

Still following this thread and would like to know how to find Legacy mode in the AO6 Bios which I am running. Thanks, Bolux

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Still following this thread and would like to know how to find Legacy mode in the AO6 Bios which I am running. Thanks, Bolux

Isn't it ...

Boot Screen
Boot Mode = UEFI (or Legacy)

0 Kudos
sam6969
2 Bronze

Same exact problem here with powercolor refrence 7950. I have two other card is gigabyte 7950 and works fine. Totally mainboard/bios issue. I returned the first card to powercolor thinking it's DOA. Replacement did same thing will not post period. Dell you are killing me. I paid a fortune for my R3 cause it's the most upgradable system out there right? What a joke after a year and bios is outdated. Go figure!
0 Kudos