Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2016 20:00

AW 15 R2 Cannot update BIOS without battery, tried rufus & /forceit - help please

Hello,

I've spent hours troubleshooting this Alienware 15 R2 i have here.  I bought the unit as-is with no SSDs or HDDs installed.  I bought a Samsung 951 Pro 256gb M.2 NVME drive but windows will not let me use it as a boot drive and it is not detected in bios. Everything i read pointed to updating BIOS (which appears the BIOS is very outdated).

However this unit also has a bad battery.  I ordered a new battery which ended up being dead too, so wont have the next replacement battery for over a week.  I'd really like to get the OS set up on this in the mean time with just the AC adapter.

I've read guides online (mainly this one http://superuser.com/questions/879545/how-can-i-update-bios-without-battery

I rufus'd a flash drive and tried forceit and i got Run-time Error R6000 - stack overflow every time.

I've tried running command prompts to try doing it from inside a windows 10 environemtn from a regular 1TB HDD but no luck with that either, for whatever reason i cant get CMD to operate correctly. '

Does anyone have any advice?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

September 8th, 2016 11:00

Hi,

You won't be able to update the Bios without the battery, but in the mean time you can check the link below, it might help you with the SSD setup:

en.community.dell.com/.../19989934

No Events found!