Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 29th, 2011 12:00

AW m17xR3 issue with 2560x1440 resolution

I've got Alienware m17x R3 with AMD 6870M and trying to get it working with my new Dell U2711 monitor. The monitor has 2560x1440 native resolution, which is only available with Dual-link DVI and Displayport.

If I connect the Alienware using a MiniDP-Displayport cable, the resolution works for a few second but then the monitor goes black for a second. Image comes then back but blinks again after ten seconds or so. This continues until I drop resolution back to 1920x1200, which is stable.

The monitor works ok at 2560x1440 with another laptop (Thinkpad X220) over Displayport and also fine with dual-link DVI (from Nvidia GTX460). This is very annoying since I bought the Alienware laptop to replace my old Dell desktop and thought I could utilize the full resolution of my monitor due to AW having Displayport.

Is this a known problem with m17xR3 or just a fault with this unit? I've tried two different MiniDP-DP cables with same results.

2 Posts

August 31st, 2011 08:00

I borrowed friend's MiniDP-DVI (dual-link) adapter by Apple, connected over DVI and the symptoms were exactly the same. Although this time the blankouts happened even with lower resolutions. Looks quite clear that the problem is with the AW, not the monitor.

No Events found!