Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 12th, 2010 09:00

About to order an Aurora: A few Questions (overclocking)

I decided to order an Aurora mainly because I have several hundred $s in Dell gift cards from my Amex points. I have a few questions and would really appreciate any help.

What is the motherboard model that ships with the regular Aurora?

How many extra PCI slots are available for sound cards etc?

How high can you overclock the i7 920 cpu with the mobo? I saw some threads stating a new bios will allow 3.2ghz, is there anything beyond that? Can you enable turbo boost (or whatever it's called) in addition?

Is there a way to reset the bios from the mobo that you know of?

Any idea what type of ram is shipped as well? Does anyone know the max speed ram the mobo can handle?

Here is how I currently have it specified:
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7 920 2.66GHz (8MB Cache) Quad Core Processor
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
WARRANTY AND SERVICE 3 Year Basic Service Plan edit
VIDEO CARD Single 1.8GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260 edit
MEMORY 6GB Triple Channel 1333Mhz DDR3 edit
HARD DRIVE 500GB - SATA-II, 3Gb/s, 7,200RPM, 16MB Cache HDD edit
OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability edit

16 Posts

February 12th, 2010 13:00

I wouldn't bother ordering one unless your prepared to wait months. Everyone is getting delayed practically on these.  They cant keep up with the orders they already have.

5 Posts

February 12th, 2010 14:00

Really the estimated delivery date is March 6th?

217 Posts

February 12th, 2010 14:00

Really the estimated delivery date is March 6th?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH. You'll never get your machine by then. I ordered 1/26. ESD was 2/9. It's delayed now until 2/16. You'd be lucky to get yours by the middle or end of March.

There are a good number of people who have had their machines delayed. It's not just a specific configuration because as peole have been delayed they've been posting their specs and we can't find any overriding commonalities.

Evil.

March 16th, 2010 10:00

Id still like to know what brand the motherboard is. Or for that matter how generic is every piece of the system? Is the only hardware difference between an AW and an XPS the ability to slightly overclock and the water cooling? Also what version of I7 920's are used?

I ordered a an aurora because of an ability to get it pretty cheap. Ill be interested to see what if theirs a performance gain by swapping the 920 out for a store bought one.

65 Posts

March 16th, 2010 11:00

If oc is your main thing, you'll be mildly dissappointed.

My results:

Aurora ALX with i7 2.93ghz (forgot the model number), max stable speed 3.75ghz,

Aurora with i7 960 (3.2ghz), max speed 3.98 (not quite 4ghz).

I believe AW currently is using mobo made by Foxconn, not very oc friendly, lacking some important oc features.

Having said that, while cpu oc is lacking with Aurora, I find it can support very fast RAM very stably. My 6-gb Kingston 2000mhz ram are running at 1998 with 1T.

March 17th, 2010 09:00

Thanks for the help,

OC isnt something I am deeply interested in but its also almost criminal to not OC a 920. Im assuming ill stick with the 3.2 oc that comes with it. AW is well known to be high priced in its market, but I guess when you consider the generic hardware that your getting for your money (as opposed to name brand from "real" gaming builders) your really overpaying. Do you think Dell is using Intel chips that aren't as fast as normal chips? As in they've developed a deal with intel to provide chips that are cheaper, more reliable but sacrifice performance? I could defiantly see that happening where there is multiple grades of the same processors. Theres defiantly a disparity in batches now, as well as a performance increase with the DO version of the I7 920.

3 Posts

March 19th, 2010 19:00

I got my Aurora one week after ordering and I love it !!!!!!!!!!!

50 Posts

March 19th, 2010 23:00

Mine came with an i7 920 do. 3.75 Is a very respectable overclock. I have mine at 3.8 and my memory at 1900. HT on and no turbo.

edit: not that I have any idea how to turb hyperthreading off. If anyone knows could you please share?

Chris?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 20th, 2010 09:00

Hyperthreading on/off is not an option in the bios.

41 Posts

March 20th, 2010 10:00

Got my Aurora (I7 - 920) to 3.8GHz nice and stable but have since turned it down to 3.2GHz mainly for reduced fan noise and the fact that there is nothing much I do where the extra 600MHz made the slightest difference. Mine was also ordered on time, still a 3 week wait but it was delivered on the date they originally estimated so cant really complain.

33 Posts

March 20th, 2010 13:00

Sweet! I too got the 920... 1 because I'm not sure how much I'll actually be gaming/ using it intensely (I haven't gamed for a while on the comp) and if I need an upgrade I'll go buy a chip. Also I just got bumped to delivery prep! today!

50 Posts

March 20th, 2010 14:00

Hyperthreading on/off is not an option in the bios.

Thats what I thought, thankyou.

No Events found!