Achieving SATA 3 (6 GB/s) speeds with Alienware x51

Hi

I have an "x51" with the following specs:

Intel i7 3770 CPU @ 3.40 GHZ
NVIDIA GTX 670 Gigabyte Windforce OC 2 GB
2 TB HDD
8 GB RAM
700 W OCZ ModXStream PSU

I put "x51" in quotes because my system began life as an x51 but has since been moved to a BitFenix Prodigy case to accommodate the larger graphics card and PSU (I had power issues before). It still has the Intel H61 Motherboard, Alienware BIOS, etc. so for most purposes it is still an x51 - just in a different chasis.

I've recently starting looking into getting an SSD (I have the space given my case change), but I noticed that Intel H61 motherboard in the x51 has only SATA 2 ports (despite the x51 shipping with SATA 3 drives...)

I was wondering whether the following solution would enable me 1) to achieve SATA 3 speeds with an SSD and 2) allow me to use the SSD as a boot drive for Windows. I'm pretty sure about (1), but I'm concerned about (2):

- replace the Wifi card in the mini-PCIe slot with this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816124059
- attach this SSD via normal SATA cables: http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Hyper.../dp/B007R67FNA

Can anyone confirm? Thanks!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 25th, 2013 19:00

Hopefully someone can confirm (they have used one).

But for $20-$30, you can find out and you can tell us.

If it doesn't boot or offer native SATA3-Like speeds, maybe you can run one of the other drives off of it.

Even if the SSD is only running off an on-board Intel SATA-2 ... it's still gonna be crazy fast (compared to a spinning drive).

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 25th, 2013 20:00

Ya, I wasn't counting SSD on purpose. You already moved your MB to a new box ... like you're not going to get a SSD now?

How many SATA drives in that machine.

How many SATA ports? How many eSATA? How many USB3?

256gb SSD should be fine for OS, main programs, and even a large game or two.

Well, it would actually cost me $130-150 to confirm it, as I'd need to buy the SSD as well :)

If I can get a confirmation though, I might consider a larger SSD. With disconfirmation, I may look at a smaller one. As you note, Tesla, any SSD would be a noticeable upgrade even on SATA 2.

Just the one 2 TB SATA drive currently; space for 1 more. 2/3 SATA 2 ports used (the other one for the ODD). Just 2 USB 3.0 ports at the back of the mobo.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 25th, 2013 21:00

Right, so with the extra SATA-2 port you are covered either way.

SSD is not just a little faster.

- Boot time (to usable desktop) should be cut in half

- Desktop apps will load instantly

- Games and levels load noticably faster

- Computer is just much snappier

Here's mine on Aurora R1 (x58 with Sata-2 port) or XPS-410 (p965 with ICH9 Sata-2):

Aurora (SATA-2): Samsung 830 256gb MLC (Sata-3) SSD      

Seq. Read: 265

Seq. Write: 251

IOPS Random Read: 46924

IOPS Random Write: 35784

XPS-410 (SATA-2): Samsung 830 256gb MLC (Sata-3) SSD      

Seq. Read: 257

Seq. Write: 243

IOPS Random Read: 30815

IOPS Random Write: 21920

---------- Compare to -----------------

Aurora (SATA-2): Western Digital 1000gb 7200rpm (Sata-2) Spinning HDD

Seq. Read: 124

Seq. Write: 119

IOPS Random Read: 282

IOPS Random Write: 237

Compared to a single 7200rpm spinning drive, SSD is around 100% faster. IOPS are off-the-scale better.

April 26th, 2013 11:00

Yeah, based on my current HDD's scores (could post later) and the scores you and others have posted, I think I'd get about 2x sequential read/write speeds on SATA 2 (vs. 3x on SATA 3) and 4x random 4 K read/write (which I'm pretty sure isn't limited by SATA 2 since it comes out to 10's of MB/s for the fastest SSD's in CrystalDiskMark). 

AFAIK, the random IOPS/4K read/write speeds are the most important for boot times and launching random desktop apps. So, my general system speed up would not be highly dependent on SATA 2 vs. SATA 3. I have a SATA 2 Intel x-25m in my laptop and its boot times are consistent with a 4x speedup over my desktop. However, I have a feeling that sequential read/write performance is important for quickly loading large game assets (ex: huge textures in modded Skyrim) - please correct me if I'm wrong. In any case, I still want to know if I can achieve SATA 3 speeds on this system before I spend more money upgrading - this is the main aspect I feel may be lacking in "futureproofness"

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 26th, 2013 14:00

Well, at some point you are splitting hairs (50% faster than super-fast). Or sequential access drops to random which is also super-fast.

I answered because I like to hardware hack as much as the next guy and this seemed like a cool science experiment. Also, you did all this work but sounded like you were actually considering NOT getting SSD because of some SATA-3 deficiency.

Now, you mention future-proofing so I want to say...

I'm in no way dogging-out your PC creation, but I would have done things a little differently. If I also had more time than money (which i don't) I would have bought the new case, power-supply, and $100-$150 MOTHERBOARD ... and then swapped everything else over (the expensive parts) . When I got more money, I would slowly re-populate the x51 with parts. When it was whole again, I would sell it, gift it, or use as a HTPC or something. That MB will forever hold you back. It was intended for the limited x51 case.

April 26th, 2013 15:00

"That MB will forever hold you back. It was intended for the limited x51 case" - Yes, I have since realized this. But it seems to me that lack of SATA 3 is it's main deficiency, at least as far as features I see my self using any time soon. I *could* get a new motherboard, but I'd prefer to stick with this one if I can get around the lack of SATA 3. I'm just interested in seeing whether it's possible.

I was foolish to think the GTX 670 would work in the stock x51... had I known I'd have to switch cases, I would have built my own system from scratch. I actually broke even selling the parts from the x51 that I no longer use on eBay though.

April 26th, 2013 20:00

Well, I just saw this at the A12 BIOS update page (http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/driverdetails?driverid=D9NT1):

"1. Update VBIOS in Sandy Bridge (2.0.1024 ) and Ivy Bridge(3.0.1023)

2. Upodate ME 8.1.20.1336

3. Add PCIE GEN3 setup item

4. Fix 5 beeps for Windows 8"

It looks promising to me. I updated, and I now have an option to enable "GEN3" for PCIe in the BIOS. Anyone else think this means support for SATA 3 over mini-PCIe?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 26th, 2013 22:00

3. Add PCIE GEN3 setup item

It looks promising to me. I updated, and I now have an option to enable "GEN3" for PCIe in the BIOS. Anyone else think this means support for SATA 3 over mini-PCIe?

Not likely. More likely ... enhanced PCIe x16 v3.0 lanes for video card slot. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 27th, 2013 13:00

1. Well, I found a pretty good deal on an SSD and decided to snag it.

2. It'll be fast whether it's SATA 2 or SATA 3 anyway...

3. I guess I'll just perform my own experiment and report back.

4. Tesla, do you think there is any risk in hurting my system or the SSD by trying the mini-PCIe adapter?

1. Cool

2. Exactly !

3. Right. Run CrystalDiscMark or other reliable disc-bench with SSD on various controllers and document your results.

4. I can't see why it would. The thing I wonder about it how the Mini-PCIe slot is actually connected to the system-bus. Might affect it's max through-put.

April 27th, 2013 13:00

Well, I found a pretty good deal on an SSD and decided to snag it. It'll be fast whether it's SATA 2 or SATA 3 anyway... I guess I'll just perform my own experiment and report back.

Tesla, do you think there is any risk in hurting my system or the SSD by trying the mini-PCIe adapter?

April 27th, 2013 14:00

Assuming the SSD (Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe 240 GB) and supporting hardware arrive by next weekend, that's when I'll be performing the upgrade/experiment.

Any tips on the following items?

- Can I keep Windows 7 installed on my current HDD and use the same license (one install active at a time) on the new SSD? I'd only be keeping the current install on my HDD for back up (since it has plenty of space at 2 TB)

- Should I install Windows on the SSD, check firmware, etc. - basically have the SSD fully operational - on my motherboard's normal SATA 2 ports before I try out the mini-PCIe adapter, or do things the other way around?

Thanks.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 27th, 2013 15:00

Any tips on the following items?

1. - Can I keep Windows 7 installed on my current HDD and use the same license (one install active at a time) on the new SSD? I'd only be keeping the current install on my HDD for back up (since it has plenty of space at 2 TB)

2. - Should I install Windows on the SSD, check firmware, etc. - basically have the SSD fully operational - on my motherboard's normal SATA 2 ports before I try out the mini-PCIe adapter, or do things the other way around?

1. Yes. Only run one at a time. It's similar to a Dual-Boot config.

2. First way. In fact, I would

- install drive as a second/ storage drive.

- Boot existing Win-7 and let SSD detect as a spare.

- check firmware and test it like a data drive. Maybe get those benchmark readings while on x51 SATA-2 controller

- Remove all partitions from it

then play with your other experiments and cards.

Good idea ?

April 27th, 2013 16:00

Sounds good. I'll post back within a week or so with results.

Thanks for the advice, Tesla.

No Events found!