Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 25th, 2015 19:00

Add SSD to M18X-R2 with Windows 8

Hi, Everyone!

I would like to add a Samsung 840 Pro SSD (512GB) to my M18X-R2 and make it the primary boot drive with Windows 8 (upgraded to 8.1 after installation).  Then, I would like to create a RAID 1 array using the 2 existing 1TB drives for data.  The main sticking point for me is figuring out how to get an exact out of the box factory state on the SSD that includes all of the factory partitions.  According to the Samsung Data Migration software notes, the OEM recovery partition will not be cloned if I use it.  Will AlienRespawn create all of the factory partitions on the SSD if I use the recovery DVD I created using AlienRespawn?  If it does, are there any pitfalls to recovering to a different hard drive?

I apologize if this question has already been asked and answered.  I did a considerable amount of searching and only came up with SSD tutorials for Windows 7.  I sent an email to support hoping that they might provide a knowledgebase article or link to an existing tutorial, but they only wanted to provide fee-based help.  If such a tutorial/article already exists, please post the link and I will give it a shot.  Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance for your help!

86 Posts

April 26th, 2015 09:00

See here make recovery media with the latest version of Alienware Respawn (Dell Backup and Recovery respawned):

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/dell-backup-and-recovery-1-8-1-71/

Make a 16 GB USB flash drive. DVD media doesn't work too well.

11 Posts

May 2nd, 2015 22:00

When you want to create RAID be sure to put your 1TB drives in the top and bottom on the HDD cage as those are the ones that run at SATA 3 while the middle one runs at SATA 2. 

No Events found!