Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2010 16:00

Alien FX faults on the m15x

I have just bought an alienware m15x and formatted it. As soon as I installed windows again after the format and so on all the lights on my m15x went off and i cant turn them on in any way. Also each time that I turn on my pc the same error pops up something which has to do with the .net framework. I have added an image in order to show you. Moreover sometimes this error is followed by another error which seems to originate from the CC.

Thanks in advance for your help

7 Posts

August 9th, 2010 17:00

THanks for your reply. I have already done that but the problem still persists. Thanks

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 9th, 2010 17:00

Try it this way ...

Install Windows
Install latest Dell drivers in the proper order
Install the latest version of Command Center last.

26 Posts

August 10th, 2010 00:00

THanks for your reply. I have already done that but the problem still persists. Thanks

I am very sorry to inform you that the problem lies in the hardware and its not a software issue...I own an M15X myself and I've dealt with this twice in the last 2 months...you'll need to replace your MoBo to fix this issue and I suggest you get on the phone with dell/AW tech suppoty ASAP. this problem occurs when you install the CC from the resource CD and it seems that the CC present in that "DANGER" disk seems to corrupt the firmware for AlienFX lights and hence leading to a hardware crash. there is no other way to recover from this and the only solution is to replace the h/w.

Call dell and they should send u a replacement part. i wonder why dell is still giving out those older resource disk with brand new system as well ??? or may be they just like to replace mobo one too many times ???

It happened to more than 90% of the owners of M15X and looks like dell is going for a world record this time..most mobos replaced for brand new systems !!!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 10th, 2010 12:00

Sometimes, simply running the MIO-Board/Alien-FX diags in the F12 Utility Partition will reset the MIO Board. Then the Command Center will be able to find it.

Since the Command Center also includes a Flash Firmware for the MIO Board, you should always use the latest version. This will ensure the flash and drivers are the same or newer than the version currently on the board. They don't like going backwards (to older versions).

There might be a MIO-Board Reset Config jumper or switch ... but since the Service Manual doesn't show it, I couldn't tell you where it is. Seems like it would be near the RAM cavity or something (so you only have to easily remove a small cover to get to it). Ask service tech or advanced user if it even exists. If there is no switch or jumper, there might be a DOS level program you can run (outside Windows).

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 10th, 2010 16:00

Shailesh12,

I posted a sticky on this. Will change it to an Announcement. maybe people will notice it then.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 10th, 2010 21:00

@ Chris,

But what happens when it's too late? On the laptops, what is the equivalent of the Reset Jumper we have on the MIO Boards in our desktops?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 12th, 2010 09:00

On laptops, you have to get the motherboard replaced.

No Events found!