Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 19th, 2012 06:00

AlienFX Lighting Problem after Reinstalling Win 7

Hello. I tried searching in many places for this answer but couldn't find it and thus am posting it.

I re-installed Win 7 with the original Alienware Win 7 CD and offcourse all the drivers were gone.

I re-installed almost everything and 90% of it seems to work... there are still some major errors though:

1) I can't access AlienFX lighting controls - It is stuck in orange light... I can't access the Lighting Menu anymore- is there a driver or something similar for this?

2) Why is there terrible game frame with games in alienware? Do I need to update drivers ? The Game I play is "Warrock"

3) I possess the M14 X so let's say I press Fn+F3 - Earlier I used to get a pop-up menu with bluetooth and wifi options but now they both are seperate and the menu doesn't come..... Any solution ?

Well there are many more errors but I would definitely require an answer for the first 1.... Thanks.

4 Posts

July 10th, 2012 23:00

Same exact issue but lighting stuck in GREEN on an M15x laptop. Did you find a FIX???

I purchased my Alienware M15X Laptop back in April 2008 so I do not have a service tag at the bottom of the unit.

I recently formatted the OS and upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 Home. Once Win7 was installed, I did all the recommended updates (there were about 100 of them).

My AlienFX lighting was identical as it was on Vista (all zone lights were set at neon green). I've read many stories from customers that have NO lights what so ever once the OS was updated. I've now updated the Alienware Command Center to the newest version from downloads @ dell.com . When I open up the command center and goto 'AlienFX', I get the dial where you can choose colors for your theme. However, that is all that exists. There are no zones, colors, or hardware to choose from. Everything uis blank with no options. It is obvious that the Command Center is not finding the zones/hardware it seems.

Does anybody have ANY suggestions to help? I simply want to change the color of my zones/theme.

Regards,

Joel S.

July 11th, 2012 09:00

arijitiswhatheis is correct, you may need to get back to Vista and download the Command Center from Myhive. There may be also a version available for Windows 7 in there so give that a shot and let us know.

@exepro, You have an Area51-M15x if you purchased it on 2008 so you need to go to MyHive to download the command center instead of Dell.com. Uninstall the command center that you got from dell and install the one listed in there.

@arijitiswhatheis

You may be missing several drivers and the correct order. I would do a clean installation but following this article. At the bottom you'll see a link to all the different platform drivers and the order that you should use to install them.

@exepro - Yes my problem is resolved. I just had to update the command centre of AlienFX.

Now since that doesn't seem to be working for you- You can either follow the hive thing told by Porras or even if that doesnt work- try switching back to Vista.

The problem with Alienware is that all its drivers are available for a limited number of OS's only.

When I formatted my AW and got a different OS- the drivers didn't recognize the hardware.

So I had to switch back to Win 7.

No Events found!