Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2010 12:00

AlienFX error on Win 7 64 bit

I get this message when logging into my system after a restart:

System.Management.ManagementException: Provider load failure
   at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
   at System.Management.ManagementEventWatcher.Start()
   at AlienLabs.AlienFX.DeviceDiscovery.Classes.DeviceWatcherClass.HidDeviceInsertedWatcher()
   at AlienLabs.AlienFX.DeviceDiscovery.Classes.DeviceWatcherClass.Start()
   at AlienLabs.AlienFX.DeviceDiscovery.Classes.AlienFXDeviceDiscoveryService.RegisterForDevicesEvents()
   at AlienLabs.AlienFX.DeviceDiscovery.ObjectFactory.NewAlienFXDeviceDiscovery()
   at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Tools.Classes.ObjectFactory.get_DiscoveryService()
   at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Tools.Classes.ObjectFactory.NewAlienFXDeviceRepository()
   at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Tools.Classes.ObjectFactory.get_AlienFXDeviceRepository()
   at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Tools.Classes.ObjectFactory.NewCommunicationService()
   at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Controller.LightsZoneController..ctor()
   at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Controller.ControllerMainForm.initializeLightController()
   at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Controller.ControllerMainForm..ctor()
   at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Controller.Program.Main(String[] args)

I have uninstalled and reinstalled command center.  It only started after I selected enhanced themes.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 17th, 2010 13:00

What PC model?

November 17th, 2010 13:00

Area 51 - received from Dell last week.  Bios 09

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 19th, 2010 11:00

* As the application is crashing when launching, go to the registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Alienware\Alienware AlienFX\ActiveTheme
* In this entry you will find the full path for the Theme
* Close the AlienFX Editor and Controller
* Rename the Active theme and/or delete it
* Launch the AlienFX Editor. It should generate automatically a new Theme and apply it to the system or it can restart the machine and the Controller will automatically generate it as well
* Are there any AlienFX peripherals connected? If yes, which one.
*  We went ahead and look for more details of this issue as the error is coming from a proprietary assembly from Microsoft. It seems this is unlikely to happen but it could when the registration of a Windows component fail at .Net Framework installation. See the Microsoft post about this issue and how to fix it:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb961987.aspx

1 Message

January 6th, 2012 04:00

Hi Chris,

I'm running an M15x and just replaced the hard drive. I used the Resource CD to reinstall my drivers, and shorty after reinstalling alienware CC and restarting my LED wouldnt work. I basically wondering if it has actually fried my board, or is there another way around this problem?

Thanks,

Ethan B

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 6th, 2012 07:00

* Be sure you have Admin privileges. Disable any Virus Protection software temporarily
* Uninstall the Command Center through the Control Panel- Add/Remove Programs
* Download and install CCleaner. Note - I chose to not install the CCleaner yahoo! Toolbar
* Run CCleaner
* Click Registry
* Click Scan for Issues
* Click Fix selected Issues
* Click Yes to backup the registry
* Click Fix All Selected issues
* Restart the PC
* Run CCleaner again
* Click Registry
* Click Scan for Issues
* Click Fix selected Issues
* Click Yes to backup the registry
* Click Fix All Selected issues
* Install the latest Command Center from our website
* Reboot the PC when finished
* Test the functionality of the Command Center. If still no go, the motherboard will have to be replaced. If out of warranty, you will need to purchase the motherboard through Dell Spare Parts 1-800-357-3355. If inside of warranty, contact Alienware Support and explain that loading the Command Center from the old Resource DVD which has corrupted the motherboard FX Controller resulting in the failure of the Command Center to control the PC fans and colored LEDs

2 Posts

January 14th, 2012 23:00

keyboard led n power button led are no functionly after i change new hdd, reinstall a Fresh Win 7.... i try to install driver one by one, step by step, but still no functionly....do i missing some setting in bios or somewhere....??? do i must change a new mainboard...>???got other solution except changing mainboard....????

2 Posts

January 24th, 2012 13:00

I'm in the same boat as you wsh2889, I had to reinstall Windows on my m17x and ever since then my fx controller has not been working. I'm really hoping there is another way to fix it besides replacing the motherboard. My warranty expired a while ago, I'm limited on money and have project deadlines. I'm in a huge hole right now, gotta find a way to fix it and sell it for something more reliable...

9 Posts

February 15th, 2012 23:00

If I have Microsoft Visual 2010 and the latest version of Alienfx CC then why am I still getting a .Net Framework error each time I start my laptop?  I have no lights, when in CC only the Alien Fusion and Alien Sense work. What else do I need to download?  I've deleted registry keys, installed CC, .net framework, nvidia drivers, re-updated bios from a09 to a09.  I even ran diagnostics at boot up and saw the lighting passed the connectivity test to the motherboard.  Anyone have an absolute solution?

It seems a simple Windows 7 reinstall shouldn't cause one of the best features of my laptop to stop working. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 16th, 2012 13:00

It seems a simple Windows 7 reinstall shouldn't cause one of the best features of my laptop to stop working. 

You wouldn't think so, but it's fairly common and has been happening for some time now. AW laptops and desktops.

At least your MIO-Board circuit is still checking good in Dell Diags. That means it's not "bricked" yet and you still have a chance of getting it working in Windows.

Try the "Power Dissipation Fix" that sometimes works on the desktops. For laptop, it would be something like ...

Shut Down
Remove AC power adapter and battery
Press power button a few times and hold it down. Leave without power for 10 minutes.

Boot back up and see if the MIO-Board circuit will now initialize and allow the .net CommandCenter apps to run properly.

9 Posts

February 17th, 2012 06:00

Tried the power dissipation thingy, no go.  Tried the CCleaner steps again, no go.  Talked to an Alienware tech yesterday and his advice was to install CC, install .net framework 3.1, let .net framework 3.1 to realize it can be upgraded, upgrade it to .net 4.0, uninstall CC, reboot.  Install CC, see if that works, if not uninstall and reboot then reinstall until CC does work.  He said that is usually what they do and get it to work after 3 or 4 times.  I tried that last night and it did not work.

Interesting note, on Dell.com when you go to download the newest version of CC, under the Important Information tab it says states a specific Touch Pad driver that needs to be installed.  I installed this driver for my touch pad, installed CC, and still nothing.  LOL!  This is FUN!  (Please sense sarcasm)

9 Posts

February 21st, 2012 12:00

I uninstalled command center. Until they come out with an actual fix I'm going no lights.

14 Posts

Any updates on this issue, it seems like every Alienware owner is going through this including me. Is this a new way of making money by dell, mess up the MB with out dated software and then make people buy new MB??????

9 Posts

They wanted me to spend $400  a 1 year warranty to get it fixed, after telling me the mother board was fine.  None of the things  I've tried have worked and I've tried them all.  

27 Posts

February 28th, 2012 09:00

Hi all,

I don't think they are going to come out with a fix.  The only way to fix the lighting problem after installing CC with the Resource DVD is to replace the mother board.  At least that is what Dell told me.  I have been doing a lot of research and have tried a number of fixes that do not work.  It appears that when the older version of CC on the Resource DVD flashes the chip on the mother board that controls the LEDs is fries it.  I have order a replacement chip and will let all know how it goes when I replace it.  I do this type of work for a living and if it works I will write up a procedure to share with anyone who wants to try and fix it themselves.  By the way the cost for the chip and the SMD kit that I ordered is about $30.00.  That is far less than what Dell wants to charge me for a new mother board that in essence they broke by sending me a Resource DVD that will harm your computer when used.  I should receive the part in about a week.  I will post the results.

Scott

27 Posts

February 28th, 2012 09:00

I agree with you.  I put up a post like yours before and Dell deleted it.  My email is .  Let me know what you find out.

No Events found!