kjlundgren
6 Indium

Re: AlienFX error on Win 7 64 bit

Tried the power dissipation thingy, no go.  Tried the CCleaner steps again, no go.  Talked to an Alienware tech yesterday and his advice was to install CC, install .net framework 3.1, let .net framework 3.1 to realize it can be upgraded, upgrade it to .net 4.0, uninstall CC, reboot.  Install CC, see if that works, if not uninstall and reboot then reinstall until CC does work.  He said that is usually what they do and get it to work after 3 or 4 times.  I tried that last night and it did not work.

Interesting note, on Dell.com when you go to download the newest version of CC, under the Important Information tab it says states a specific Touch Pad driver that needs to be installed.  I installed this driver for my touch pad, installed CC, and still nothing.  LOL!  This is FUN!  (Please sense sarcasm)

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Any updates on this issue, it seems like every Alienware owner is going through this including me. Is this a new way of making money by dell, mess up the MB with out dated software and then make people buy new MB??????

0 Kudos
kjlundgren
6 Indium

They wanted me to spend $400  a 1 year warranty to get it fixed, after telling me the mother board was fine.  None of the things  I've tried have worked and I've tried them all.  

0 Kudos
kjlundgren
6 Indium

I uninstalled command center. Until they come out with an actual fix I'm going no lights.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Hi all,

I don't think they are going to come out with a fix.  The only way to fix the lighting problem after installing CC with the Resource DVD is to replace the mother board.  At least that is what Dell told me.  I have been doing a lot of research and have tried a number of fixes that do not work.  It appears that when the older version of CC on the Resource DVD flashes the chip on the mother board that controls the LEDs is fries it.  I have order a replacement chip and will let all know how it goes when I replace it.  I do this type of work for a living and if it works I will write up a procedure to share with anyone who wants to try and fix it themselves.  By the way the cost for the chip and the SMD kit that I ordered is about $30.00.  That is far less than what Dell wants to charge me for a new mother board that in essence they broke by sending me a Resource DVD that will harm your computer when used.  I should receive the part in about a week.  I will post the results.

Scott

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Should'nt this be a <TOU Violation>? They should honor the problem and give free replacement. We didn't do any intentional damage to the machine, its their disk and their software. <TOU Violation>.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

I agree with you.  I put up a post like yours before and Dell deleted it.  My email is <TOU Violation>.  Let me know what you find out.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Thats all they can do, delete the posts. The amount we pay for a top of the line product, we should get the same quality service with it. It seems like dell doesnt care about their reputation anymore. Thats the reason more people are switching over to Mac. My email address is <ADMIN NOTE :Email id removed per privacy policy>. I will stay in touch.

0 Kudos
kjlundgren
6 Indium

Does anyone think it's microsofts fault? It does have to do with .NET framework. Either way dell should fix it. Like a car recall.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Hate to tell you, but it is the older version of CC on the Resource DVD that is causing the problem.  Microsoft didn't with the program and they didn't ship it out with the computers.  Dell did and they know about the problem.

0 Kudos