Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 30th, 2009 17:00

AlienFusion Memory Leak after upgrade to Win7

After upgrading to Windows 7, the AlienFusion service is developing a horrible memory leak.  Task manager reports it's eating up over 800MB of memory and all four cores of my processor are getting slammed, up to 80% busy.  If I end the AlienFusionService.exe process, core usage across the board drops to less than 10%. 

Personally, the entire Alienware Command Center is kludgey and prone to lockups.  Basic theme colors are too limited in AlienFX, AlienSense takes much too long to initialize, and now this problem with the AlienFusion service.  Pretty sloppy for a $4000 computer (m17x). 

Others are having this issue, found a thread here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=415530

November 1st, 2009 15:00

Here is a screenshot of the task manager.  You can see that the AlienFusionService.exe image is taking up 2.74 GB of memory.  Once I manually shut down this service, the system is responsive and CPU usage drops to under 10%.  This was not happening under Vista.  I think I can work around this by setting the service to manual from automatic, but then I lose power management.

November 3rd, 2009 19:00

Same issue here except the Alien Fusion Service was taking up over 3.5GB.  Shutting down the service does eliminate the problem. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 10th, 2009 22:00

Same problem, seems happen randomly, i can't stay a full day without problem, and sometimes one hour after the boot all the memory is taken by the process. I go uo  to 3.8 GB and everithing became very slow.

November 11th, 2009 08:00

Hello,

Thank you for bringing this situation to our attention by posting it in the forums.

What is the current Command Center version all of you are running on your machines?  You should have Command Center 2.0.10.  If not go here for the update. 

Regards,

36 Posts

November 12th, 2009 12:00

I have the update R232274 installed

Version 2.0.10, A03 released 10/9/2009

Alien Fusion does not work.  After install, when I open the command center, Fusion is blank.

Alienware Area-51 M17x
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8700 @ 2.53GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M
4GB RAM DDR3 1333MHz
Windows Experience Index base score of 5.9
Windows Graphics Experience score is 6.8

November 12th, 2009 19:00

That might be a separate issue.  Updating to the 2.x.10 version of the command center fixed the memory leak on my box.

That being said, even when I was experiencing the memory leak, I could always open up fusion and see it.  It was never blank for me.

4 Posts

November 13th, 2009 08:00

I've had the same problem with the alienfusion memory leak, and i've updated the command center with the link that DELL-Richard B

gave us up there, it seems that the problem with the memory has been solved but now, the command center doesn't have a lot of options such as Advanced theme for AlienFX, even the text labels of the icons doesn't appear.. 

November 14th, 2009 07:00

Here's something I just remembered.  I did have the blank Fusion issue when I upgraded command centers, but not to this one.

When I installed the command center for the Tact-X mouse, Fusion was gone.  The fix for that was to do a complete uninstall of the old command centers FIRST, then install the new version.  Installing one version over the other for some reason doesn't work. 

When I updated to this version of the command center to fix the memory leak, I uninstalled the previous version first.  Try uninstalling all command centers then installing this one and see if that works.

November 16th, 2009 13:00

Hello,

The engineers are working on this.  When something new comes through I will pass it on to you all.

Regards,

36 Posts

November 16th, 2009 13:00

My Installation of Command Center was on a clean install.

Fusion still will not work.

Fusion Service and controller are running in task manager.

This is not a big deal.  I don't really need it.  But would be cool if it did work.

4 Posts

November 16th, 2009 16:00

Richard, what about my problem? seems to me that the others doesnt have tha same problem, my is that the updated command center that you recommended is without the advanced AlienFX for edition, and without any other service like alien sense or touch, just alienFX and without the icon`s labels

30 Posts

November 19th, 2009 20:00

having a similar issue on my M15: re-installed the Command Center with the latest driver and ALien Sense has dissapeared and tTouch causes an exception with the error message indicating "value does not fall within range" which then causes Command Center to close. Running win7 ultimate 64 .

30 Posts

November 19th, 2009 20:00

Value does not fall within the expected range.

that's the exact wording for my error message for Touch.  Installed the latest version as per the direction in the post above: at least Sense is back and working,  My AlienFX controller stops working when I boot into windows as it cheerfully informs me but Command Centre still works and I have lights etc but just no control over the touchpad or other Touch options.

What prompted my need for Touch is the fact that the laptop scrolls and fails to hold open any diologue boxes when it is titled e.g if you are holing it on your lap of chest other than perfectly flat -- wanted to see if turning off the touchpad rorrected this or not.

4 Posts

December 4th, 2009 04:00

Yeah, ive been using 3party software of findvika to change the lights but it doesn't not apply to the bios so the lights return to red (in my case) every boot...

If I use the old command center I have a takebreath alienfusion memory leak.

If I use the 'new' command center that suppose to support windows 7 64bits, I simply dont have any functions on command center screen...

anyone having the same problem with the new CC?

That's pretty sad does dell have any news about that issue yet?

244 Posts

December 4th, 2009 05:00

Many Aurora and Area-51 customers are experiencing significant issues with the Command Center application and related I/O Board (USB) with Win 7 x64.  In my several discussions with Tech Support working to resolve my Area-51 issues this has become apparent.  As Richard states above (and as was mentioned to me by the techs) the Dell engineers are working to resolve the issues.  I hope they come up with something soon.

No Events found!