Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

September 19th, 2014 02:00

AlienRespawn, no longer pre-installed?

I just got a aurora r4 pc Saturday which I'm pretty excited about, I haven't had that much time to use it yet. The pass week I've just been installing my steam library and other things. Today I noticed the system didn't have AlienRespawn installed even though the site lists it as being installed on all systems shipped after 2009.

So i downloaded it from its support page but now that I have ~250gb of software installed, it seems to auto try to backup all of it, which don't really want to do, just want to back up the factory software. Long story short, after 6hrs it said about 20+ hours left, I didn't want to run it for 24+ hours so I click cancel, there was an error, it left a single ~300gb install.msi file (in c drive/system recovery/... - it was created the same time I started the respawn process) file on my drive, call tech support because I wasn't sure exactly what an install.msi file was and if it was safe to delete, they were confused as I was about this file at first, we went in circles, it ended up on I could delete it at my own discretion, which I do because respawn had an error and I didn't want to risk having a corrupt backup file.

To my question - is there a way to only back up the factory software? I just want to make a recovery disc on an external drive. 

• 

2.7K Posts

September 19th, 2014 13:00

There is an option in the Alienrespawn that will allow you to create a disk only with the recovery information; you can check this video on how to do it. 

3 Posts

October 13th, 2014 12:00

Sorry for the late response, I just wanted to follow up since you did reply. The suggested video does not help me. As I described in the original post Alienware Respawn was not pre-installed, I had to install it myself after the fact that I placed 300gb of software/data on it, in which Alienware Respawn attempted to backup all 300gb (20hr + eta which ultimately lead to an error) instead of making a backup disk of the shipped out state (windows + preinstalled software.) Any attempts after the original described error results in Alienware Respawn getting stuck on the splash loading animation. I'm just going to assume there isn't a way to make a default Windows "Respawn" point on a USB drive unless I reformat my computer, it just sucks because there would of been if this software simply came pre-installed like advertised.

No Events found!